Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Pulse vs Linear DISCHARGING (also vs Multi-step discharging) >

Pulse vs Linear DISCHARGING (also vs Multi-step discharging)

Pulse vs Linear DISCHARGING (also vs Multi-step discharging)

Old 01-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Tech Master

Default Pulse vs Linear DISCHARGING (also vs Multi-step discharging)

Hi all,

I have few questions about this matter (these question apply for the new current cells started from GP 3300 up to IB4200WC matched or unmatched) :

1. Could you tell me which discharger system (not charger with discharging function such LRP Pulsar), either using linear discharge or pulse discharge or hybrid (can do both linear and pulse)

2. I want to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of both discharging method (Pulse/Reflex and Linear/Constant discharge)

3. Do you use combination between pulse and linear discharging ?
When to use and which method ?

4. Is Pulse discharging will shorten battery life (punch and runtime) faster ?

5. With 20Amp LINEAR/CONSTANT pack cell (not individual cell) discharge with 0.9V cut-off, is it safe enough for IB4200WC cells ?

6. In battery matching process, do they use Linear or Pulse discharging ?

7. Have you ever heard or experienced about multi-step-discharging ? Any benefits over Constant / Linear or Pulse ?
I see this feature on Straight Ltd., FORTRESS product (Japan company)

8. In Muchmore CTX-D manual ( I think it's 1st version) point no. 2 What's Pulse Discharge ?, it mention that : "30A Pulse discharged runtime is shorter then 30A linear." But others say in other forums that pulse discharge take ages to discharge, and I believe it's true. So what "linear" do they refer to ? Or it's just a typos ?

Thanks for your comment. I hope to get some enlightenment in this discharging matter.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am also curious about pulse discharging. I recently bought a Trinity Dyna Pulse discharger and yes, it does take ages to discharge a pack. I used it on a Trinity spec battery which had already been discharged after the last race and the Dyna Pulse pulled another 245 mAh from it and that took a little over 20 minutes. What I was told is the pulse discharging will maintain the punch of discharging with a high amperage linear discharger, but also extend the useful life of the cells since there is no heat buildup.

Now my question is, should I use it on my new packs of GP3700's and IB3800's? From what I've been told is to use high discharge rate, then tray, then recharge @5-6 amps for the first cycle of a new pack.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gubbs3
I am also curious about pulse discharging. I recently bought a Trinity Dyna Pulse discharger and yes, it does take ages to discharge a pack. I used it on a Trinity spec battery which had already been discharged after the last race and the Dyna Pulse pulled another 245 mAh from it and that took a little over 20 minutes. What I was told is the pulse discharging will maintain the punch of discharging with a high amperage linear discharger, but also extend the useful life of the cells since there is no heat buildup.
Mind to share your Dyna Pulse setup ? is it the same like Spintec Bat. Man ?
How about the voltage, is it raise up after you discharge and charge back ?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Pulse discharge works like this:

Discharge at 30 amps for 1 second.
No discharge for 2 seconds.
Repeat.

So, in stead of a constant discharge, it turns on and off. Thats why it takes so long to discharge versus linear discharging. I have heard its not good on IB3800/4200.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

since most batts are the IB 42`s
discharge straight @25a + to 0.9v

charge linear @6 a

i still use the trinity real time discharger around 25-30a discharge all i have to do is baby sit it ,unscrew the thump bolts when lights go out

no fancy CTXD & dpd`s here my batts from EA year old
still happy with them & they be used this year aswell

done pulse ,done step ,done what ever flavour of the month batt regime is going around
and i have ended back to what i have done most of time

charge linear @6 a

too many gadjets can harm your learning curve you be relying on machines to much to sort it out for you
Old 01-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
since most batts are the IB 42`s

charge linear @6 a

i still use the trinity real time discharger around 25-30a discharge all i have to do is baby sit it ,unscrew the thump bolts when lights go out

no fancy CTXD & dpd`s here my batts from EA year old
still happy with them & they be used this year aswell

done pulse ,done step ,done what ever flavour of the month batt regime is going around
and i have ended back to what i have done most of time

charge linear @6 a

too many gadjets can harm your learning curve you be relying on machines to much to sort it out for you
Yes, I agree with you... Too many gadgets make me headache. In fact, I only need one, but which one is the right one ? It should work on any type of battery (NiCd, NiMH, Lipo, LiMg, SLA, etc) ...and discharge them safely ...

My discharging dream machine will be :

1. The form should be the combined between Tray and alligator clip (looks like Trinity DPD, same size or more compact/smaller)

2. Charging capabilities : Pulse, Flat linear, and Multistep Linear (4 steps max)

3. Cut off : 0.0 - 1.19V

4. Discharge Amp : 0.01 - 35.00 A

5. Display show : runtime (second), capacity (mah), voltage (before, during, after charging), IR rate

6. 20 profiles / memory

7. Programmable for :
a. pulse discharging to set the time interval between discharging and not dischg
b. combine pulse and linear discharging so it can use different discharging method automatically
c. combine discharing and charging -> see point 8 below

8. Modular -> can be connected to existing charger on the market for battery cycling purpose or for discharge - charge realtime processing purpose.

I think if there's company can make this, it'll be an awesome piece of RC equipment and safe a lot my pit box space.
Any idea left on my DISCHARGING Dream Machine ? Any comment welcome.