R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Need some help, performance issues!

Hey, i'm new to the forums; if this is in the wrong section, please correct me. I glanced quickly and didn't see a tech section ( I somtimes overlook things as most do )

Anyways, over the holidays I picked myself up a Yokomo RTR Drift Kit. Being that it's rtr, it should have been set up and ready to go.. great, so I threw on the wheels I bought with it, and took her out.

First Problem: It took a while to engage the accelerator, in fact, everytime I turn it on, it takes a while to engage. I made sure to reset the ESC and make sure the radio and car are in sync, and everything was set fine. I also have a problem reversing.. the car has to come to a complete stop and I have to push the trigger several times before it actually reverse. So my question on this is, is this normal for it to pause before acceleration on initial startup, and pause on reverse ? the reversing really limits style when drifting.

Second Problem: RUN TIME SUCKS!, i'll take this thing out for some 10 minutes of drifting, and it'll die out.. it's not the battery, though I think it's overheating.. it'll eventually stop running as if the battery is dead, but the battery will be at full charge.. any input? do they make intercoolers? or a more hefty heatsink?

Thrid Problem: this one is the worst, but not the most limiting.. i'll drive my car straight and it runs fine and clean, if I turn it to the right it does ok, but when I turn to the left, it makes snapping noises, and sounds seriously painful.. somthing isn't right there.. this is only when it has wheels on and is turning, nothing is getting in the way of anything, everything seems to be set right.. can somone tell me somthing I don't know on this?

it's a robust read, but I appreciate any time and input anyone has to offer.

I resort to a forum, because the company won't respond to any calls or e-mails..
HuD1Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mild seven

well, with ur first problem, maybe ur throttle trims are too low, u may need to turn it up that could help, and yeah its normal for a pause when u reverse.
2nd problem, could be ur battery, or it could be coz ur drifting, the wheels are always spinning, which is why its over heating aswell so cant be good for run time. i dont drift but thats what im guessing.
3rd problem, could be ur diff maybe, or most likley something is catching on a steering linkage.
hope that helps.
mild seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

1. I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. Do you have to pull the trigger a lot before the car moves? Try zeroing out your throttle trim.

2.Well 10 minutes doesn't sound bad especially because you are drifting and constantly on the throttle and the motor is constantly spinning. How are you judging the battery is fully charged?? What kind of charger and batteries do you have? They definately don't make intercoolers....they are meant to cool the intake charge on a forced induction, full sized, vehicle. They do make heatsinks though with fans on them you plug into the reciever.

3. The clicking noise when you turn left could be the driveshaft being turned past it's limit and snapping back and fourth. With the body off, turn full lock left and give it very very little throttle, if you see the inside tire chattering or moving back and fourth, then turn your dual rate on the radio down, it's usualy a thub wheel.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:20 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thank you for your responses, they were very helpful.. as for the first problem - I did say I had the radio and car in sync, which yes I have the trims set to where they should be, and I tested them in other positions as well. The second problem, is definatly over heating, because if I let it cool, it runs again, and I understand an intercooler and it's purpose in relation to normal cars, but I was refering to rc's and in literal terms.. I sort of meant a fan of a sort.. As for the third, I havnt figured it out yet, but your suggestions helped as they gave me a place to start

thank you, and to anyone - anymore suggestions on the third would be helpful as well
Old 12-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #5
Tech Master

oh yes, i forgot to mention, yeah a small fan mounted on top of ur motor will help quite a bit. i cant remember exact specs of the fan, someone on here will be able to help with that
Old 12-31-2006, 12:10 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

3Racing makes one.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

that'll be perfect, thanks much guys
Old 12-31-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I wouldn't suggest the 3Racing fan, however the heatsink that the fan comes with is very nice. If you do buy the 3racing heatsink, upgrade the fan. You can find nice fans online at a number of places. Look for 5 volt fans. What motor are you running in your car? You can also make a duct for the side your car to scoop air onto the motor out of some scrap lexan.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Right now I have just the stock yokomo drift motor, 37t I think.. I also got a modified 15t yokomo drift motor, but when it's in, the car can't reverse.. so I don't know whats going on there.. but I was reading about that fan, and I as well heard it wasn't any good, people suggested novak fans, or just get one at like radio shack... question though.. where to the fans hook in? in the extra port on the ESC?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Tech Master

the fan can either be plugged in the 3 channel or the battery socket on ur reciever.