R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   It's winter, so how do I set my car? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/142181-its-winter-so-how-do-i-set-my-car.html)

bozla 12-28-2006 09:59 PM

It's winter, so how do I set my car?

One thing I recently realised, was that compared to the summer, it's much colder in the winter. Theres always a lot of talk about keeping cars cool in summer, but what about the winter?
One thing I would like to know: I understand that the shock oil thickens as it gets colder, so how much softer an oil should I change to to get the same performance?

UN4RACING 12-28-2006 10:05 PM

Trial and error.
Start with the manufacturer of the oil, they will have all the break downs if there is any.

Tek Nickal 12-29-2006 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by bozla
One thing I recently realised, was that compared to the summer, it's much colder in the winter. Theres always a lot of talk about keeping cars cool in summer, but what about the winter?
One thing I would like to know: I understand that the shock oil thickens as it gets colder, so how much softer an oil should I change to to get the same performance?

It also depends what brand of silicone oil you are using, I know AE oil and maybe some other brands don't get thicker or softer, and they stay consistent throughout the seasons. You may be able to compensate by running a piston with smaller or less holes.

bozla 12-30-2006 06:29 PM

Anyone know about Kyosho or Yokomo oil?

WheelNut 12-30-2006 08:28 PM

Don't believe what the bottle says, all oils thicken or thin with temperature changes. Its one of the laws of physics. Silicone oils are not affected as much by temperature as other oils, but the effects are still significant.

Go here and read this, the part concerning temperatue is at the bottom btw.
http://www.twf8.ws/php/index.php?opt...per&Itemid=175

MR JOLLY 12-31-2006 02:11 AM

wrapped up in a Duvet & stay indoors till the sun comes out

yokomo are very close to ass i use both /preferr yoko oil

ff01 12-31-2006 02:26 AM

the silicone oil is "sensorless" to the weather.
it do not thin or ticken.

hope you understand my english :D
( I am from sweden)

Z.Hallett 12-31-2006 06:39 AM

saying silicone oil doesnt change viscosity is pure popicock. this year Josh Cyrul was testing oils from different brands for the great lakes challenge.(a gas race) every day this year the ambeint(sp?) temp was in the upper 80's, lower 90's. after 5 mins. on the track he said his car felt like crap. he checked the oil and it was pretty much water. the only oil that really didnt change was team losi.

there you have it.

-Zac

ff01 12-31-2006 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Z.Hallett
saying silicone oil doesnt change viscosity is pure popicock. this year Josh Cyrul was testing oils from different brands for the great lakes challenge.(a gas race) every day this year the ambeint(sp?) temp was in the upper 80's, lower 90's. after 5 mins. on the track he said his car felt like crap. he checked the oil and it was pretty much water. the only oil that really didnt change was team losi.

there you have it.

-Zac

maby your right :)

bozla 01-01-2007 05:55 AM

Wow! That article shows a 30% or so change in viscosity. Good to know.
I have another winter based question:

Battery warmers?

UN4RACING 01-01-2007 07:48 AM

I think what Cyrul found is that viscosity under a work load would need to be about 3 or 4 times the rated work load. In order for the viscosity to be a factor. In rc electric it would take to long for the viscosity to break down to that performance level.
Wheres the oil manufacturers? Dont they read these post, Help!
I think viscosity is in the work load break down and not the weight.
Every oil will thin and thick'n.

X

UN4RACING 01-01-2007 07:56 AM

I'll say this if it sound's like to much science For R/C racing.
Maybe?
I dont think we can put enough science in it.

X

UN4RACING 01-01-2007 07:58 AM

A little rc for thought:
When we put a limit on what we will do, we put a limit on what we can do.

X

DA_cookie_monst 01-01-2007 08:15 AM

Silicone is far more resilient to temperature change.

As for setting up, a nice scarf and fleece to keep you warm, sod the car.

bozla 01-02-2007 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
Silicone is far more resilient to temperature change.

As for setting up, a nice scarf and fleece to keep you warm, sod the car.

lol!
If your hands are cold do you use gloves?