R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #31
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well if you dont have the c-hub bushing in that's probably the problem knuckle head.
Do'es this mean I can put my hotwheel's away?

X
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #32
Tech Rookie

the dog bones aren't bent or anything like that. the steering post is straight but it doesn't do it when the wheels are off. it must be with the weight of the wheels. i've even changed wheels.
hckeyplayer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:33 PM   #33
Tech Rookie

it did it before i lost the steering bushing one guy just said run it till it breaks and than you'll figure out was was wrong with it. so thats what i did and the screw came loose.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #34
Tech Lord

Well let us know what happens with a different wheel. This is going to be a good one for all of us to know. Hang in there. I'll get my hot wheels back out.

X
Old 01-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckeyplayer74
hey i was running over at the track near my house with my new 007 that i got from christmas and everything was running fine. well it than started making a chatter noise when i turn the steering wheel all the way and its a full throttle i checked everything it's not the dog bones. has this happened to anyone else and if so i need help it only happens when i turn the wheel all the way when it's going straight its fine. thanks alot
Dan

Xray007
Chatter is a normal part of running a spool on a sedan. To varying degrees all sedans chatter. Its worse when they are new and the CVD have very little play in them. As your CVD’s break in the chatter will mostly disappear.

The reason for this chatter is that what we call CVD's are not really Constant Velocity Drives. They are just fancy rebuild able universal joints.

The chatter comes from an acceleration and deceleration of the axles that is an inherent flaw in the way universal joints function. When the wheels are straight you have no problem but as you turn the wheels every 180 degrees the axle goes from being in line with the dog bone to being as much as 7 degrees ahead of the dog bone (at full wheel lock) and back to inline with the dog bone. This acceleration and deceleration of the axle and wheel causes the chatter.

You won't notice the chatter with a diff or a one way because they absorb the oscillation.

FYI, if you take the front wheels off and turn lock to lock you will notice the chatter is gone or greatly reduced. The reason for this is that the mass of the wheel and tire wants to keep rotating at a constant speed and fights the acceleration and deceleration of the axles. This causes the chatter.

Right now Losi is the only manufacturer with a true CVD in production. Schumacher and Hudy have true CVD’s in testing but they are not out yet.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #36
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to rc1racer Send a message via Yahoo to rc1racer

The problem could be that the cvd joint does not have enough grease. When mine starts chattering I take the cvd's apart and clean and lub with Associated black grease they use for there diff trust bearing. This worked with the 05 car and the T2 I now have. Good Luck.

Gary
rc1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1racer
The problem could be that the cvd joint does not have enough grease. When mine starts chattering I take the cvd's apart and clean and lub with Associated black grease they use for there diff trust bearing. This worked with the 05 car and the T2 I now have. Good Luck.

Gary
Its not the grease. As the CVD's wear a little the chatter goes away. FYI, most pros use a light oil on the CVD's not grease. Grease collects gunk that causes binding. Especially on carpet with foam tires. Use oil and spray them out once a month with motor spray. Put a drop of oil on them when they are dry and you are good to go. I have been doing this for years and I have never worn out a set of CVD's.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:16 AM   #38
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to rc1racer Send a message via Yahoo to rc1racer

I use the black grease because oil did not last one race day (practice,3 qualifiers and main) and i have no problem with gunk. I did wear one out while using the oil so that is why I went to the grease and it works for me.

Gary
rc1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #39
Tech Rookie

well i'll update you guys tommorrow night because i'm going to the track then. but what i don't understand is that it didn't do it after the first run it did it after the 3rd or 4th run?
Old 01-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #40
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to SARCAR_Revmax

The problem that I had with my JRX-S, was the servo was loosened up, so when the servo tried to react to input, it would tighten, then loosen, tighten, and loosen. Something to do with a connection on the inside of the servo.
P.S: My servo was a Spektrum 570. (Metal gear)
SARCAR_Revmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #41
Tech Rookie

well what ever it was it's gone now i ran it yesturday at my first race with it and i doesn't make the noise anymore i did turn the epa down and put oil in the cvd's so maybe it was that. i did really good for my first race with it.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #42
Tech Lord

Thank's for updateing us I wondered about it from time to time.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rmargiotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckeyplayer74
well what ever it was it's gone now i ran it yesturday at my first race with it and i doesn't make the noise anymore i did turn the epa down and put oil in the cvd's so maybe it was that. i did really good for my first race with it.

Just keep the joint well lubricated, that's what causes the chatter. Every time I hear mine make a hint at doing it, I just put a drop of bushing lube (same stuff I use on my stock motor bushings) on them and they quiet back up.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #44
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to |<R1Z |>

I found this link on nexus that descibres the issue and some potential fixes...... if it ever resurfaces or if other people are having similar problems

Nexus Racing Link