R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation 4200 pack venting! help me!

i got a new 4200 intellect pack, i have charged, and discharged at gentle rates ( 3 amp charge, 5 discharge). i did this about 3 times, until the packs held a seemingly decent charge. then i ran the pack in my truck (i know, this is the onroad forum, but i need some accurate responses, and if elec. onroaders know anything, its battery care) and the packs ran very well. i then charged the pack again, and ran it the next day ( charged, let sit over night, then ran). the pack had much less performance, but i thought it might have been from siting overnight. i take the pack out, and there's this liquid, in the truck, and dripping from the pack ( only 2 or 3 drops ). i look closely, and it is coming from the positive side of a cell. i dont know much, but i knew this was bad. so, i then put the pack in a plastic bag, and set it on the garage floor. i know its not lithium, but i dont know much about these cells and "venting".

my question is : what do i do now? do i attempt to charge it? toss it out? put it in a bucket of sand? return it to the lhs? what?

i have tried to contact smc, the brand of the cells, but my computer cant view thier website, wierd things happen. i dont know any phone numbers, so i have no idea how to contact them.

please, if anyone has anything that can help me, tell me! thanx. i am sad, i paid lots for these cells! theyre so nice!
Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan
i got a new 4200 intellect pack, i have charged, and discharged at gentle rates ( 3 amp charge, 5 discharge). i did this about 3 times, until the packs held a seemingly decent charge. then i ran the pack in my truck (i know, this is the onroad forum, but i need some accurate responses, and if elec. onroaders know anything, its battery care) and the packs ran very well. i then charged the pack again, and ran it the next day ( charged, let sit over night, then ran). the pack had much less performance, but i thought it might have been from siting overnight. i take the pack out, and there's this liquid, in the truck, and dripping from the pack ( only 2 or 3 drops ). i look closely, and it is coming from the positive side of a cell. i dont know much, but i knew this was bad. so, i then put the pack in a plastic bag, and set it on the garage floor. i know its not lithium, but i dont know much about these cells and "venting".

my question is : what do i do now? do i attempt to charge it? toss it out? put it in a bucket of sand? return it to the lhs? what?

i have tried to contact smc, the brand of the cells, but my computer cant view thier website, wierd things happen. i dont know any phone numbers, so i have no idea how to contact them.

please, if anyone has anything that can help me, tell me! thanx. i am sad, i paid lots for these cells! theyre so nice!
Johnathan,

You can contact Danny (Owner of SMC) at [email protected] and he can send you a replacement cell for it. Just describe the problem to him and I am sure it will be taken care of.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
Team EAM

Also I dont know what type of charger you have but the standard charge rate is 5-6 amps. Some people charge as high as 8 with no side effects but 6 is the safest and most normal route. Do not discharge the cells below .9 per cell or you could damage them as well. What type of discharger do you have?

EA
Old 12-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

thanks EAM. i have a duratrax ice, but i use a homemade car lightbulb discharger. an electrician (a friend) measured the current it draws, and its around 5 amps. i have used this discharger for my 3300's many times, without problems. and about the .9 volt thing, i always keep an eye on the voltmeter (which i have connected to the pack) and i stop when it gets to .95 actually, to be safe.

i am just nervous to try to charge at 5-6 amps, it just seems like it would push the cells, especially when they get warm at 3.

thanks for the help!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Team EAM

The Ice is a very good charger. I would charge at 6 amps (Its what I charge at) with a 25mV peak detect setting. Discharge the pack at 10 amps. We match them at 35 so they can handle a lot of current. If you have the Temp probe for the Ice then set the temp cutt off at 120 degrees. Thats a good safe temp for peaking.

Hope this helps.

EA
Old 12-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I charge all my packs at 6 amps with no ill effects at all. You just had a bad cell and if you contact SMC like EA said they should replace the cell for you. I know of no cell matcher that would not help you out in a situation such as this. You are not even workin that pack at 3 amps. Just as EA has said don't take them below .9 for they do not like that.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

thankyou , i will take the cell out, and contact him. and when i re-assemble the pack, i will try 6 amps. thank you for your quick response to a few newbish Q's.

have a happy new year!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What kind of truck was this sitting in overnight?

Is there the possibility that the cells were touching the edges of a carbon chassis and shorting?
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan
and about the .9 volt thing, i always keep an eye on the voltmeter (which i have connected to the pack) and i stop when it gets to .95 actually, to be safe.

i am just nervous to try to charge at 5-6 amps, it just seems like it would push the cells, especially when they get warm at 3.

thanks for the help!
If you are discharging the whole pack to .95 that might be the problem. For the entire pack you want to discharge to 5.4 volts. or to 5.7 volts in the case of your .95 cutoff.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP
What kind of truck was this sitting in overnight?

Is there the possibility that the cells were touching the edges of a carbon chassis and shorting?
it was sitting on my table, i never leave packs in my trucks/cars.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator
If you are discharging the whole pack to .95 that might be the problem. For the entire pack you want to discharge to 5.4 volts. or to 5.7 volts in the case of your .95 cutoff.
i was watching the individual cells. though a problem might have been that one cell discharged more than others. though, i dont know. i think i am going to get a discharge tray thing, to discharge the cells to match.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, ditch the bulbs and get a tray. That is the best way to discharge/equalize the packs.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #13
Tech Adept

I once had a brand new pack vent on me when having 3rd or 4th charge , cell was very hot and I thought that was it. When they cooled down I put them on a discharge board and took all cells down to .9 per cell.
When I re-charged the pack they held voltage and I use them again now as a good race pack.
If a cell vents it doesnt allways mean that its shagged , they are designed to vent and sometimes with no ill effect.
(thats just my experience anyway)
FTQ Models
Sean T Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Is it just me or are these New 4200s causing a lot of problems. Packs have exploded and alot are venting very quickly, maybe the high voltages and high capacities are too much for some of these cells. Ive just assembled 4 new Epic Monster Metal cells, I doubt these do the same *fingers crossed*
thecrow2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrow2k
Is it just me or are these New 4200s causing a lot of problems. Packs have exploded and alot are venting very quickly, maybe the high voltages and high capacities are too much for some of these cells. Ive just assembled 4 new Epic Monster Metal cells, I doubt these do the same *fingers crossed*
4200's SUCK

Last edited by DHopkins; 12-28-2006 at 02:04 PM.
DHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote