R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default What Does everyone think of the TB-O2??

I just bought the RC Subaru Impreza WRC 2003 - TB02 from tamiyas site and i was wondering if that was a good choice. I dont really know much about electric yet. Just been racing my nitro cars.

So tell me what you think about it and is there price of $250.00 right?
catchm3srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

The TamiyaUSA site has a few TB-02s on sale for $125, so unless you REALLY want the Subaru body, you can get a TB-02 for a lot less than $250.

Here's a link:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58310

TB-02s are good, tough cars for club level racing - my opinion. Similar to an Associated TC3. Older technology, but decent cars. My son and I race them.

Good luck.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

So they all have the TB-02 chassis/engine/suspension ect but you just pay a little more for the body.. right?

I probly cant cancel the order now but they say you can upgrade to TB-EVO so are you just saying that its an older setup as it comes?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchm3srt
So they all have the TB-02 chassis/engine/suspension ect but you just pay a little more for the body.. right?

I probly cant cancel the order now but they say you can upgrade to TB-EVO so are you just saying that its an older setup as it comes?

Other than the body (and probably wheels), I think all TB-02s are identical. For some reason, Tamiya appears to be maybe discontinueing certain body styles (my guess), so they're selling them for $125.

If I were you, I'd try to cancel the order, or at least switch it to one of the TB-02s that are on sale.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Do you know how much work it would be to turn it into the TB-EVOIV setup?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Tech Master

I don't believe you can convert the TB-02 to a EVO IV. If you could it would probably cost so much that you could buy a new EVO IV.

But if your looking to start out, a TB-05 in my opinion would be a better car to begin with.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
I don't believe you can convert the TB-02 to a EVO IV. If you could it would probably cost so much that you could buy a new EVO IV.

But if your looking to start out, a TB-05 in my opinion would be a better car to begin with.
it also costs $800.00 which is insane to pay for a r/c car.. Unless you have just money to burn.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchm3srt
it also costs $800.00 which is insane to pay for a r/c car.. Unless you have just money to burn.
Yeah... $800 is too much, but that's not the market price of the car. Shop somewhere else .

FWIW the TB02 can be upgraded to an Evo III not IV ( at least not without buying a whole car as a 'hopup')
ljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

$800 for the TA05? Maybe for the limited edition model based on the TA05. The regular model is less than $150US.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Dont buy from the tamiya website they are genrally over priced. the tb evo 5 is around $395 from rcmart
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:52 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
$800 for the TA05? Maybe for the limited edition model based on the TA05. The regular model is less than $150US.

Well heres the link right to the page...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58371

I just want to eventually build it up to be one wicked car but if i cant do that with the TB-02 Chassis then its a waste of money.

And out of all brands not just tamiya, who makes or has the fastest mods for there cars?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:02 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RMF-888

i have a TB02 R it has a reversible lightweight suspension.they said that TBO2 R is like a EVO 3 or 4 not very sure.
RMF-888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best way to eventually build a bad ass TB-02 is to buy a used Evo 3 and the front and rear brace sets for the tb-02R. You will basically remove the carbon decks from the evo3 and replace them with the tb02 chassis or "tub". Many refer this as a "tubbed evo 3". Then slap on the front and rear carbon graphite braces for the tb-02r and you will have it. If you try to buy all of the bling bling parts that fit the evo3 and the tb02 separatly you will spend WAY too much money. I have a couple basically stock tb-02's and I am about to do all this myself.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMF-888
i have a TB02 R it has a reversible lightweight suspension.they said that TBO2 R is like a EVO 3 or 4 not very sure.
Careful in upgrading to the LW suspension, the LW susp kit costs half the price of the entire tb02 kit (75 bucks). It is a good perfomance upgrade, but has much less durability, if you are still hitting barriers you will get alot of bent hinge pins, and the arms, knuckles, hubs, ect have about half the beef of the stock ones ..... the plastic reinforced TA04 arms work great. I hope this helps your decision!

Oh but if you are starting your cahssis and parts inventory from scratch and you can cancel your order ..... get the ta05!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I have to chime in here, because I raced a TB-02R competitively for a few months and now my brother races it. It's a good beginner car, but if you plan to campaign it for a while, you're better off starting with a more modern platform. My biggest gripes:

1. The propeller shaft design is OLD! You have to shim it just right or youíll strip bevel or crown gears all day. Also, the kit doesnít come with these shims and the manual doesnít even mention you have to shim it.
2. The diff gears are weak. If you do end up buying it, buy the TB Evo IV Ball diff gears. They are thicker and wonít flex. You can also use the TB Evo IV one-way and gear. These gears wonít change your internal ratio and can be used with the stock crown (bevel) gear.
3. Fixed motor mount holes. You are STUCK using .06 Module (48 Pitch Metric) gears. It makes for a loud car, they are less efficient and it is difficult finding gears when youíre in a bind. You also have to use the TB-02 spur gears or TT-01 spur gears because of the design. You canít buy off the shelf spurs.
4. Diff outdrives. Buy the reinforced outdrives for the Evo III. Either the black ones or the white delrin ones. The stock TB-02 ball diff is a joke.
5. Screws. Get rid of the tapping screws and get yourself a Titanium screw kit or at least switch to machine screws.

With all that said, once all these quirks are sorted out, itís a decent car. It can lay down some fast lap times and itís fairly adjustable. I only bought this car to feel out the differences between a shaft car and a belt car (I have a hopped up TA05). In hindsight, I should have gone with the TB Evo V. Itís only $369 from Speedtech, which is about what I spent for the TB-02R, plus hop-ups. Live and learn.
- JV
ittjv is offline   Reply With Quote