R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Can a beginner start racing with this car?

I saw this car on a site on the net www.granhobby.com

Here's the link:

http://www.grandhobby.com/grne1laelrar.html

Although its an off-brand and may not add to LHS bottom line, think about its features and potential in its use for someone at the local track.

Its adaptable for:
Sub-C cells
Std 540 motors
Aftermarket upgrade shocks.
TC wheels & tires
Regular lexan bodies

All for $65
Battery included.

Your thoughts out there.........
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

What about parts when you break something?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Spare parts? At that price, just buy another car!

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilRuf
Spare parts? At that price, just buy another car!
LMAO! I did spend well over $60 last time I purchased spares for my Xray.

It may be OK for bashing or birthday parties but that's about it.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That thing is probably tough as nails ! ! ! ! Might be the last man standing kinda race.............

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

My 10 yr old son who has been 'bashing' r/c for about 2 years started his organized indoor carpet career Thanksgiving weekend at The RC Barn in Minnesota. His car was a stock Tamiya TT-01. We did upgrade the friction shocks to oil dampening.

He outgrew the car in 4 weekends of racing. Now he has moved up to a moderately hopped up TC3. Ofcourse, he is still not near what the other 'stock' drivers in his heat are doing. But he is having fun and learning the tricks to setup and the importance of driver skill.

The photos you post look similar to the TT-01 in that there is no room for adjustments; ie., camber, caster, toe in/out, ride height, droop, etc., etc.

Great car for bashing, but, imho, and with my experience wrenching with my son and watching him improve, that car just won't keep up with any seasoned racer or even a mediocre (sp?) one like his old man.

Regards
Centerline Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

When it breaks, which you know it will. Where are you going to get parts? You're a Socal local, you should know what it does. Remember you get what you pay for. Looks kinda cool, but I doubt it will perform. Buy one, bring it to the track. If you beat the guys with that car I'll buy you dinner this Saturday. How's that? Paco.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
When it breaks, which you know it will. Where are you going to get parts? You're a Socal local, you should know what it does. Remember you get what you pay for. Looks kinda cool, but I doubt it will perform. Buy one, bring it to the track. If you beat the guys with that car I'll buy you dinner this Saturday. How's that? Paco.
Not everyone can afford to drive a T2 or FK05 in novice Paco.

If you haven't seen this thread perhaps you should look at it this time.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141309

Maybe your opinions may change. That or you like showing up to your next race night that just became a practice night at SoCal or for others they may not find the lights on at theirs.

As for adjustability, some beginners can take months or almost a year just to keep their car straight on the track which has nothing to do with adjustments, just a good set of tires and practice.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

YR4,

I started a little over three years ago with a low level RTR car like what you posted. Lasted about two months while learning left/right steering from all angles (going/coming) in local parking lots. Then upgraded to a Losi XXX-S RTR ($250) which I initially ran as a novice in NorCal races.

After discovering that I was hooked...It's been first class ($$$) all the way.

Good luck with your plan.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I understand fully as to your response about adjustability. However, my son was getting 'spanked' on the track during an official race, not practice, by the other drivers. He would only complete about 40% in laps to the winner. My son really didn't crash much, just had a hard time controlling the car in the corners.

Now with the TC3, using the same electronics that were in his TT-01, and the same tires, he is at about 60%, just by changing cars. I attribute this to being able to adjust things to loosen him up coming in to the corners. Also, changing shock position on the towers makes a huge difference. Little things like that will make a car "handle" better under racing conditions.

Bashing and practice are a whole different story.

When you have 5-7 other cars whipping around you and you have to take the corner full on slow or a wide sweeping turn to the apex, there seems to always be a 'tangle' in the corners as the more proficient drivers approach the corner and make it around as tight as the barrier itself. Imagine what they feel seeing a noobie on the outside of the track then at the last minute cut in to the apex and then roll out back to the outside at half their speed just to make the corner without a bump or spinout.

Adjustability to a cars suspension and handling characteristics carry a lot of weight (no pun intended) to driving a car somewhat consistently in a qualifier or Main.

Just my .02 while I observe my son's progress.

Please remember it was you who asked us for our advice about racing this car
Centerline Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #11
Tech Adept

YOU HAVE AN XRAY!!! Why do you need that thing? It's not adjustable. Instead of gettin that, get a new set of matched cells for ur Xray.
juanfinesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:09 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My previous post was a joke....
Honestly If you can go to your LHS and see what can be purchased that has parts that are readily available. That car will not last. He may get tangled in traffic ad that will be all she wrote for that. Get a better car something a bit more tune-able and at the same time budget friendly.

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Centerline - You're Right! But the fact that people are out running your son at the races means there is something seriously wrong with the racing classes. Those faster guys should be bumped and not be allowed to sand bag and your son should be racing others with the same ability to have a chance.

juanfinesse - I have plenty of cars. My intention is not to buy and race this car but that others who would normally spend anywhere from $50 to $130 on something from the toy section at Walmart would maybe give this a try and show up at the local track.

Ya, its better to buy a more reputable name car like a TC3 but....if you check around, theres certainly are not a lot of ads for $50 used TC3 rollers let alone with radio and speedo and battery. BTW I'm not promoting this particular deal, I am sure there are others out there on the net, no doubtedly from some no name company in China.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Not everyone can afford to drive a T2 or FK05 in novice Paco.

If you haven't seen this thread perhaps you should look at it this time.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141309

Maybe your opinions may change. That or you like showing up to your next race night that just became a practice night at SoCal or for others they may not find the lights on at theirs.

As for adjustability, some beginners can take months or almost a year just to keep their car straight on the track which has nothing to do with adjustments, just a good set of tires and practice.
I'm not saying that every novice driver should drive that thing. What I am saying is no novice driver should drive that thing. All they need is a car that they can get parts for. It doesn't have to be a T2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
If it matters any I started with HPI's original RS. Not even RS4. SoCal had HPI parts for it. I broke alot but was able to fix the same car. That is all I'm saying. As far as being competitive with it. You might be, but when it breaks it's done.

I've given some stuff to guys to help them out the same as stuff has been given to me. I still get stuff from top drivers. We all want top equipment but all of us can't buy whenever we want. Even less buy top equipment.

I've been selling quite a bit of stuff as of late but that stuff was bought to be resold. I am making a profit but I am not hanging anyone out to dry for my profit. I'musing that money to get better stuff for myself some of my older batts may be given away to who knows. In the end we all know who is who.These have been my .02 plus worth.

The following is a post of mine from the "Fix TC Thread"
Post #5 on that thread. I've said it over and over. I'm the first complain about sandbaggers but nothing is done. So it get harder for the novice to win. Please read the post.

Every one wants to to win, so they buy the best that they can to do so. Some guys have the finances to buy what ever is out there. Some may be sponsered and pay little to nothing for the stuff needed. Others may not have enough resources to build that ultimate racecar.

There has to be a spec car for some of these classes, especially novice. How can a RTR out of the box beat a fully tuned top of the line car in novice class. The RTR is not adjusted, has the wrong tires, completely overgeared, and weak batteries. A car not tuned makes it harder to drive. The new comer sees this and knows that to compete he has to spend a thousand plus dollars. Nobody wants to spend a thousand or so to see "IF" they like the hobby. That chases away the newbies before they get a chance to actually get hooked.

Bottom line is spec classes in novice class will help the newcomers. Also if ROAR does go to four cells in "Stock Class Only" it divides the slower cars from 19T and open mod classes. Cars wil not have all the torque behind it when they crash. Not as costly for the beginner. These cars are stupid fast and hard to keep on the track. Let alone drive them for four minutes as a newbie. It will help eliminate the sandbagging in stock. Stock should have Novice, Intermidiate, and Sportsman only. "Pro Stock" should race 19T. Pro means professional, a pro is a sponsered racer or someone getting paid. How can some of us compete with racers that are pros. We can't buy the stuff that some of them have. We also do not have amazing skills like them. When pros do not have a class the race sportsman. Why not race 19T or open mod. If I were that good I'd be ashamed to porposely sandbag like some of these guys do. Yes, do know they know who they are.

Forgive my rant, but that is what is wrong in TC. These are my two cents worth.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15

Last edited by F. Mendoza; 12-26-2006 at 09:50 PM.
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Your thoughts out there.........
yes a beginner could use that, but......the way to choose a beginner's car is figure out where you are going to race. Visit the place. Hopefully they have a rookie/novice class. Does the track have a hobbyshop that sells RTR vehicles? Buy your first vehicle from the hobbyshop and get a basic RTR....sounds like you want a touring car. It's going to cost 4 times as much as the thing you showed us if you buy new.

My point being that you need to support your LHS especially if it has a track. If they have a nice size racing program and money is a big deal tell them that and let them show you their suggestions.

If you stay with the hobby for some time the initial cost of the vehicle is a small fee compared to replacing broken parts that get broken learning to race.
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote