R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-25-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default brushless or not?

Im am just getting back in the rc scene.I currently have a b4 with a gt-7.Im going to have to buy several motors if I go with the brushed to compete. I was in rc back in the early 90s and am aware of the maintnence it takes to keep these motors performing well. For what im going to spend on motors I could easily get a brushless system. My question is what are the ups and downs of the brushless motors, will I only need one motor for heats and main? I will also be running a rc10l4 on the oval. How much maintnence do the brushless require? Do they offer the same or better power? How long will these motors last? Any help and advice would be appreciated.
riley1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:46 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Brushless You will never have to work on the motor.It is as fast and some say it is faster than brushed.You will only need one motor and never have to touch it.
Racingfreak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:57 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Brushless is the way to go, just make sure your local track allows you to race them. More and more tracks are allowing them just not all of them yet. Find out which ones the folks at your local track run, this will answer a lot of quaetions you have.

Kevin
KevinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

At my track they allow the Novak 4800 I believe or whatever the equivalent to run in the 19t touring car class. They are not faster than my Brood tuned money motor. I can reel in the brushless guys on the straight. They always comment on how much horsepower I got. LOL
I agree they are nice because of the no maintenance, but in our class they aren't THAT fast. Mybe it would be diff. in a n open class. They just don't appeal to me right know. All that bulkyness and the wiring? I'd rather do maintence on my motors and have a smaller speedo with neat wiring. All I do is clean the brushes after every run and that only takes a few minutes. I cut comms every two weeks at home and replace brushes every 2 or 3 weeks.
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Go with a Checkpoint style mod and you'll be happy. You can easily get 15 to 20 runs without having to perform maintenance. There will always be "New and Improved" with any product, and that includes Brushless. Those companies aren't going to be happy by selling you a product and never seeing you again. There still having all kinds of thermal shutdown problems too.
toofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
Tech Legend

Default Have a Merry Brushless Christmas

Get the brushless , it pays for itself in savings compared to using a brush motor...

Don`t let those brush guys fool you with statements like they hardly do anything to keep the brush motor running ..
Most spend $$$ every race meet on a fresh set of brush`s all the time....

Only the brushless dudes only can say even after months of racing..

"Still runs good as new".....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

My local track allows brushless in stock racing. I bought a 13.5 this weekend and can't wait to run it. I am selling my lathe, motor dyno, and brushed ESC. I just see the long term cost and upkeep being a lot easier to deal with. If you're concerned about size, wait for the Tekin brushless speedo...it's as small or smaller than a brushed ESC. If you're just starting to buy your equipment go brushless. The buy in cost is less than a lathe, brushed ESC, and a motor let alone long term cost...
Old 12-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Brushless... They're VERY competitive run after run and simply smoke "stock" motors in each class, unless the brushed motor is built and rebuilt by a very good tuner after a very few runs..

The ease of maintenance (i.e. NONE), along with expense and knowledge needed to get a brushed motor to run competively the decision is simple.

The only folks around my local track still running brushed motors are the sponsored guys that likely "have" too. But then again, they rebuild those motors between every round..
Old 12-25-2006, 10:31 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
I agree they are nice because of the no maintenance, but in our class they aren't THAT fast.
Yea, the 19T is faster than the 4300, that's been proven over and over. They're two entirely different motors, and the one you're using is faster. There's no merit in this comparison, and it adds exactly nothing to the discussion. They should allow the 5800 in your 19T class, that's a more fair comparison to a brushed 19T.

If your track allows brushless in a class you're interested in, don't hesitate to buy it. In a few years, brushed motors will be something people use in a vintage class so they can reminisce about how bad things used to be.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Go with brushless at my local track we start running both brushed/brushless at the same class, 4300(19T) Class and 13.5(stock) class. I've run my GTB/4300 for the first time out and won the 19T expert class. After 6 years of racing I'm done with brushed motor.

Gearing brushless motor is different from brushed motor. You have to gear brushless too the moon to get the top end of a brushed motor if your running touring car FDR = 5.5 or lower

Brushless motor has more torque than a brushed so you have the advantage on the infield or tight tecnical track. Brushless motor is a rocket coming off corners.

It's true with a Novak GTB speedo there is a chance you will thermal but it can be avoided. You gear the motor based on ESC temp, keep it below 170 degree and you will be fine. And also upgrade to sintered rotor, and large front endbell this is necessary to able gear the motor lower without thermalling.

All I can say I'm very pleased with brushless system, peformance never fades it's always there when you need it. It's like having a new tuned motor everytime you put your car on the track. You can play more with setup of your car and improving your driving skills rather than dealing/tuning your motor everytime to be competitive.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for all the advice. What is the best system to go with Novak,Lrp or something else. If I go with say the novak do I have to run novaks motors or can I run any brand brushless motor.
riley1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18
It's true with a Novak GTB speedo there is a chance you will thermal but it can be avoided. You gear the motor based on ESC temp, keep it below 170 degree and you will be fine. And also upgrade to sintered rotor, and large front endbell this is necessary to able gear the motor lower without thermalling.

You can spend all that extra money to make a bad product half decent, or you can spend less money and have something better: Mamba Max.

-Adam
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley1131
Thanks for all the advice. What is the best system to go with Novak,Lrp or something else. If I go with say the novak do I have to run novaks motors or can I run any brand brushless motor.
I think the best brushless speedo for the moment is the GM Genius 95. It is built around a aluminium case so it stay very cool, no fan needed. You can choose whatever motor you want GM, LRP,Novak you just might need the optional sensor cable depending on motor.

GM ESC http://www.racingfactory.fi/shop2/ca...ails.php?p=606

sensor cable LRP http://www.racingfactory.fi/shop2/ca...ails.php?p=628 or Novak http://www.racingfactory.fi/shop2/ca...ails.php?p=629
moonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Put in a sintered rotor and good luck thermalling with a 4300. We have a decent sized 4300/19T class and with the new rotor you can gear even higher to where the 19T may still be a tick faster but they are fairly close. I don't think anyone has even been able to get the temp over 140 degrees.

So to pipe in to the original post... get the brushless and if its a Novak put in the sintered rotor. You'll have a setup that feels pretty close to a brushed motor, no dealing with brushes, cutting coms, aligning hoods... etc..... just enjoy!!

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:42 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i'm in the same position - i don't know whether to go brushless or not! I have all the damn tools and spares to maintain brushed motors (lathe, brushes, springs, etc) but the idea of not fooling around with trying to dial in a motor with different spring/brush combinations is highly attractive.

The only downside I can see for myself is: I need to sell all of my equipment used for brushed motor maintenence and 2) I don't think my track is totally set on a motor/speedo combo.

i've heard that our track might only let us use speedos that are NOT programmable (GTB) that way the playing field becomes even more even. Once you get into the Tekin's and such, now you will spend your time programming the speedo to get every bit of power out of the motor for your specific track.

with that said, who wants to buy a nearly brand new Hudy Lathe with diamond bit and an EA stock motor lot?!?!
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote