Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
It's Everybody's Fault >

It's Everybody's Fault

It's Everybody's Fault

Old 06-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

think back to the good old days of rc, back when it was at it's peak. early to mid 90's by far had more racers than today. what's different?

the internet, message forums, etc... there's WAY more drama around this hobby now than there ever was.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussB
think back to the good old days of rc, back when it was at it's peak. early to mid 90's by far had more racers than today. what's different?

the internet, message forums, etc... there's WAY more drama around this hobby now than there ever was.
Especially with drama queens like you around
Old 06-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Especially with drama queens like you around
why are you e-stalking me again?

go get ready for racing tomorrow, i'm goin camping.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Time to wrap-up all these high profile issues into one, nice, ugly, thread....
Guess what....you're all to blame. The racers, promoters, manufacturers, sanctioning bodies...everyone. You're all in this together, and simply drive the track owners, hobby shops, and casual racers out of the hobby.
Agree 100% - WE are all on different agendas...instead of 'unifying' as a group.

A Promoter only cares about HIS event - and will try to do ANYTHING he can to get his race noticed and attended over somebody elses event. There are onl 52 weeks a year, but how many 100 events are just in the U.S. every year? And, every promoter wants their NEXT Race to have a little "REEDY RoC, SNOWBIRDS, IIC, etc. type of luster effect. The reason the promoter only cares about HIS Event - is usually because he's trying to be able to keep a track operating, or a shop opened, or make some $$$.

Racers usually only care about WINNING. They will do ANYTHING - RUN Anything...shave rules, and even CHEAT (shhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone) This MUST WIN attitude at smaller local events causes a lot of local type racers to get really frustrated, and intimidated..and QUIT the hobby. On the flip side, the WINNING Racers get tired of just WINNING at the local CLUB level and want to just go to all those BIG racers like the IIC, SNOWBIRDS, REEDY, etc...and that helps lead to the 'local clubs' having attendence problems too.

ROAR and other organizations get a lot of blame in peoples mind, but in reality it's not usually THEM doing so much BAD as it is OTHERS wanting what the ORGANIZATONS Don't provide...or wanting them to CHANGE more to fit what THEY want...instead of the Promoters and Racers staying within the ORGANIZATIONS ideas...

I myself am guilty of a lot of the sins of a RACER, and a PROMOTER...in trying to keep the type of R/C Racing I enjoy - going in a direction I want to see it go... Which is rarely 'inside the box' of the rest of the world.

GOOD THREAD
Old 06-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Steady on old chap's

i only raced to enjoy my self (not to win
and since it has gotten so competitive between racers at the top they are the ones that put casual racers off
not sharing tips
keeping gear ratio's to then selves
very selfish on the track
allways take & never give back
rules being bent or changed for certain people coz it's not what you know it's who you know

so much jealousy

even club's over here (UK) can't run to the same pissing rules as each other so you have to change your gear if you want to visit another club

but i still want to race with guy's with the same equipment (same playing field

not 4 cell or 5 cell or 7 cell or c'cell or Li-po or li-mn or BL or brushed or what ever
Old 06-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
Agree 100% - WE are all on different agendas...instead of 'unifying' as a group.

A Promoter only cares about HIS event - and will try to do ANYTHING he can to get his race noticed and attended over somebody elses event. There are onl 52 weeks a year, but how many 100 events are just in the U.S. every year? And, every promoter wants their NEXT Race to have a little "REEDY RoC, SNOWBIRDS, IIC, etc. type of luster effect. The reason the promoter only cares about HIS Event - is usually because he's trying to be able to keep a track operating, or a shop opened, or make some $$$.

Racers usually only care about WINNING. They will do ANYTHING - RUN Anything...shave rules, and even CHEAT (shhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone) This MUST WIN attitude at smaller local events causes a lot of local type racers to get really frustrated, and intimidated..and QUIT the hobby. On the flip side, the WINNING Racers get tired of just WINNING at the local CLUB level and want to just go to all those BIG racers like the IIC, SNOWBIRDS, REEDY, etc...and that helps lead to the 'local clubs' having attendence problems too.

ROAR and other organizations get a lot of blame in peoples mind, but in reality it's not usually THEM doing so much BAD as it is OTHERS wanting what the ORGANIZATONS Don't provide...or wanting them to CHANGE more to fit what THEY want...instead of the Promoters and Racers staying within the ORGANIZATIONS ideas...

I myself am guilty of a lot of the sins of a RACER, and a PROMOTER...in trying to keep the type of R/C Racing I enjoy - going in a direction I want to see it go... Which is rarely 'inside the box' of the rest of the world.

GOOD THREAD
There's a word that keeps popping into my head when I think about this...

Selfish
Old 06-30-2007, 12:33 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Micro-Managment...

Only comment I have, not to get to involved with the love party going on in here, is that us "the racer" do not really want ROAR to micro-manage all the tracks that they support. This would push more people out then it would benefit and cause a further divide in the hobby. More tracks would start to do there own thing, at least now we have some basis of where to start.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Small tracks need to experiment and embrace new technology and ROAR needs to watch closely. If we'd all be following ROAR to the T, we wouldn't be enjoying 13.5 racing or LipO technology. The local racers and tracks best describe where the masses want RC to head.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm new to the hobby. only been involved for about a year.

the ROAR rules give me a headache and simply turn me off from full-out competitive racing.

lipos not allowed? get with the times already. and stop dragging your feet in regards to brushless motors.

Thanks... but I'll stick with club racing and simply burning around on the parking lot.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation

I'm new to rc tech, but this topic is not new to me. im not a sponsered drive, and i don't wish to be. I don't want to make money in racing, and think im right about not wanting to. I try to race as often as posible, and i don't mind coming in last, as it dosn't hurt me. Racing is a hobby, not a business to make money off of. People Should race to have fun and hang with friends, while still getting that bit of compition that mankind needs. When you race for money, you don't have friends there 'cause you're traveling all over to take advantage of the locals. Plus, you don't have time to hang out 'cause you're too busy fussing over your $4,000 car. Also, Have you ever seen a sponsered driver having fun while racing? Or helping another driver when they're having trouble? At the track i race at when someone needs help, they get it, even if it causes them to beat the person helping them. People help their COMPETITORS countless times without even thinking about it. When you take the fun, friends, and overall good time out of racing, sure, you could make some money, but what's the point then? Didn't you get into the hobby to have fun? Now we have problems with tracks closing due to the racers and sometimes the organizers taking advantage of their abilities and power. Local racers show up, race well, then make a choice: to continue racing for fun, or take the fat contract offered to them by a multi-million $ company. Now, if they choose to decline the contract, then they made a good choice in my mind. but, if they accept it, then their sponser has their own plans. First, they buy the racer all the cars and parts they would need, taking business away from the local hobby store. The, with all their top-of-the-line equiptment, they dominate the local classess, discouraging the locals, and lowering the turnout. then when that's done and over with, the sponser ships their ass of to do the same all over the country. It's very efective, and probubly very profitable, but it's the worst thing posible for the locals. Now i know people will NOT like what is said here, but keep it to yourself, because i already have heard and know what you'll say. If you have guessed that im steamed, you're dead-on, but i think it's a very important mater, and somthing needs to be done to save what's left of our hobby.
Turbocharged
Old 07-01-2007, 01:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Turbo.. never thought about it like that. Good point.. not a smart marketing plan realy is it.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Angry

It's deadly effective for the huge corperations, for them it's absolutly genius, mostly because they don't feel the extent of the damage. but for us locals, it's the most stupid, ignorant, retarded way to participate in our hobby, and it hurts the local economy to the point that businessess can't survive. when people plan a track/hobby store business, they dont expect outside companies to come in, steal their business, steal their racers, and essentual take over the track. then, when the company has made their money, they ship off the best racers, and leave. unfortunatly, because they had taken over the track, the track usualy can't survive when they leave. it's like pulling the knife out of a deep stab wound. it cripples the business and discourages the locals. It's Retarded, and it needs to stop.
Turbocharged
Old 07-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbocharged
I'm new to rc tech, but this topic is not new to me. im not a sponsered drive, and i don't wish to be. I don't want to make money in racing, and think im right about not wanting to. I try to race as often as posible, and i don't mind coming in last, as it dosn't hurt me. Racing is a hobby, not a business to make money off of. People Should race to have fun and hang with friends, while still getting that bit of compition that mankind needs. When you race for money, you don't have friends there 'cause you're traveling all over to take advantage of the locals. Plus, you don't have time to hang out 'cause you're too busy fussing over your $4,000 car. Also, Have you ever seen a sponsered driver having fun while racing? Or helping another driver when they're having trouble? At the track i race at when someone needs help, they get it, even if it causes them to beat the person helping them. People help their COMPETITORS countless times without even thinking about it. When you take the fun, friends, and overall good time out of racing, sure, you could make some money, but what's the point then? Didn't you get into the hobby to have fun? Now we have problems with tracks closing due to the racers and sometimes the organizers taking advantage of their abilities and power. Local racers show up, race well, then make a choice: to continue racing for fun, or take the fat contract offered to them by a multi-million $ company. Now, if they choose to decline the contract, then they made a good choice in my mind. but, if they accept it, then their sponser has their own plans. First, they buy the racer all the cars and parts they would need, taking business away from the local hobby store. The, with all their top-of-the-line equiptment, they dominate the local classess, discouraging the locals, and lowering the turnout. then when that's done and over with, the sponser ships their ass of to do the same all over the country. It's very efective, and probubly very profitable, but it's the worst thing posible for the locals. Now i know people will NOT like what is said here, but keep it to yourself, because i already have heard and know what you'll say. If you have guessed that im steamed, you're dead-on, but i think it's a very important mater, and somthing needs to be done to save what's left of our hobby.
Turbocharged
Your dead wrong.
The factory sponsors drivers to showcase NEW equipment.
The new equipment helps the hobby shops by increasing sales, you know-to keep the doors open.
The fast guys more than likely don't need that new equip to stay fast, but when they do have it sitting in their pits, and you walk by, you tend to think, hey that new charger or speedo, or tires, or tire warmers or discharger
or..........down to the paint they use, wonder if that would make me faster too, probably not, but it will sure look cool in my pit and it makes me feel good about having that.
Well that leads to sales at the counter-that keeps the doors open-that allows you to race.
Without those sponsored drivers at your track, would you be as tempted to buy any of the newest, greatest stuff out there?
As far as them helping you, I have never seen them refuse. They will tell you at least once, but those that keep coming back time after time for help with mostly the same problem will tend to turn those sponsored drivers off, those are the people that complain the loudest, mommy's not there to hold there hands.
Fred
Old 07-01-2007, 10:29 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, Turbo..your missing the point really.

Drivers are sponsored on the local levels to pimp products. One of your local buddies goes out of town, does well at Nationals and gets noticed by Corally; Corally picks him up and gives him free cars. He shows up to YOUR track with his Corally, and has nothing but praise for Corally. He's good enough to get sponsored, so he does well constantly at his track(s) ... soon people start to think, hey, maybe I need a Corally and they go and buy a Corally. They were able to see it run first, and hold it in their hands before even buying it.

Yeah, Corally then sends the kid to races around the country to run their car; but then the kid comes home and runs and practices at his local track.

Very few racers are being paid "a fat contract" by a company. On a local level you'll see your buddies with 50% or 100% contracts...very few will be paid. Those who are being paid have already made a commitment to go to the next level and started out as privateers going to big races, that's how they get picked up. Tamiya USA doesn't just pick some kid at random because he's always winning at his local club race and then hand him $2000 a month to keep doing it. Paid drivers become paid because they were out working for it; they are trying to get paid. So your problem is not with the companies willing to pay, but the people who want to go get paid. It's the same as pretty much any other motorsport.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

And what does the hobby shop do with the 5 CRC GenX cars in stock? Not to mention now he has to carry the Corally and all the parts.

Then next week somebody shows up with a Speedmerchant and kick everyone's butt. Now what?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.