R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-21-2006, 02:06 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Who here is running the Cool Can fan

Hi Guy's
How many of you are running the cool can fan here, I just got one for my MSX as a gift for christmas from my children. I will be trying it out this saturday night. I race in modified and run a Orion 7x1 single and in the past have had a lot of problems keeping the motor wire's on because of the heat issue with the Gold coast of australia. I am hoping this is my solution to my problem.
Tell us what difference it has made to your tempreture of the motor. How well did it work for you.
My wife ordered saturday last week and it arrived today, 4 working days from the UK to OZ, pretty dame good service I would say.

Merry christmas
Addam
Attached Thumbnails
Who here is running the Cool Can fan-cool-can-fan-msx-002-small-.jpg   Who here is running the Cool Can fan-cool-can-fan-msx-004-small-.jpg  
Wing Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:22 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Well from what i've heard,

The fans are plugged into your battery directly, so they minimize your run time but it does cool the motor a little.

Juan
juanfinesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFMAD
Hi Guy's
How many of you are running the cool can fan here, I just got one for my MSX as a gift for christmas from my children. I will be trying it out this saturday night. I race in modified and run a Orion 7x1 single and in the past have had a lot of problems keeping the motor wire's on because of the heat issue with the Gold coast of australia. I am hoping this is my solution to my problem.
Tell us what difference it has made to your tempreture of the motor. How well did it work for you.
My wife ordered saturday last week and it arrived today, 4 working days from the UK to OZ, pretty dame good service I would say.

Merry christmas
Addam
i run one in the summer in stock ok stocks dont really need it but i got one anyway. the difference was amazing the motor was warm but much much colder than before i was seriously impressed.and if you are running a 7x1 mod with 4200 wc you will notice it even more.
stephen hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
Tech Regular

oh and if your running 4200 run time will not be an issue even with the fan.unless you seriously overgeared!.
stephen hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
Tech Master

Addam, I looked at the track you guys build. Very impressive. Way to go.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
Tech Master

Hi Speedie
It is a great test of Tech and speed, The only downfall is it's so hot here. By mid next year the track will be so good with all the goodies coming for it.
It is a great test for the Cool Can Fan. Ha ha
Thanks Mate
Addam
Attached Thumbnails
Who here is running the Cool Can fan-gold-coast-1-small-.jpg   Who here is running the Cool Can fan-gold-coast-2-small-.jpg  
Old 12-24-2006, 01:31 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Hi TRFMad,

May I ask where did you ordered those fans from?
Are those 5v/6v or 7.2v fans and would it powered via the receiver or batteries direct?
Merry Christmas mate, cheers
proceed5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:25 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by proceed5
Hi TRFMad,

May I ask where did you ordered those fans from?
Are those 5v/6v or 7.2v fans and would it powered via the receiver or batteries direct?
Merry Christmas mate, cheers

Easy to order just click the link COOL CAN FAN
Nathan Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:42 AM   #9
Tech Master

Hi Malc and Guy's
I told you after racing I would give you a true test result of the Cool can fan.
Let me tell you I am blown away with the cool can fan. I was optimistic to see if it could do what I wanted it to, I have been having so much problems keeping the wires on my V2 orion motors due to the Gold coast heat and the solder breaking down after 3 to 4 minutes in Modified racing. Having to gear back the car to try to keep the motor cool enough to last out the race. Well let me tell you that this is the best fan system I have ever used. And I have used a lot including my own design's.
It was a hot afternoon here racing and the Cool can fan worked so good, After every heat i was jumping up and down in the pitt's because it is rare to finish race after race.
Below is the results of the test.

Using a Orion 7x1 V2 motor
MSX gearbox ratio 2.25
spur 102/ pinion 28
Gear ratio 8.196
Using 4200 wc cell's

First heat
6 degree's advanced motor
Can 53.4 endbell 40.2

Second Heat
24 degrees advanced
Can 69.6 endbell 57.1Car was super fast, Ground was slippery and car was harder to drive.

Third Heat
Changed the gearing to 7.403 to see if i could get the motor hotter and it ran still so cool. I felt like there was no limit to gear the car up.
Brought it back to 12 degrees advanvced
Can 57.2 endbell 43.9

Final heat
12 degree's advanced
Can 40.9 enbell 36.7

Not only did the wires stay on but the motor and enbell was so much cooler.
Also I took off the enbell to check the Comm and it was still nice and shinny, I just cleaned it down with some motor spray. I was able to hold my finger on the can for over 10 seconds and it did not burn me.

Thank you cool Can and Malc for a great product and worth every cent.

Best wishes
A very happy customer
Addam smith
Old 12-24-2006, 04:46 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default CCF

Damn It im not in the US and i want one now!!
I guess it wont appear on the stormer hobbies web site till the new year now.

S*&T i gotta wait that long,
At least i know itll be worth it!
Old 12-24-2006, 05:26 AM   #11
Tech Master

Hi There
I am in Australia and I ordered sunday and had it from the UK by thursday. super fast service and They work so good.
Just go to the cool can web site
http://www.coolcanfan.com/
What car is it going on.
Addam
Old 12-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Hi guys,
1stly Merry Christmas to all,
Thanks for the website address. Will go check it out.

Yeah, I kinda agree with the TRFMad as 2 fans are really worth the effort. 'Cos its like hot here.

Yesterday, I ran my 415MRE using a GTB 3.5R with 2 fans attached to a heatsink on the 3.5R motor to keep it cooler.
The ratio I used was 10.57ratio (18.87 rollout) which is very fast. ESC's temp read 74.5degrees C and Motor 45degrees C.

And TRFMad, mate, i am so surprised that an Orion V2 7turn could be geared to under 7 ratio, WOW! that must have been one heck of a run, bravo mate!

Cheers all
Attached Thumbnails
Who here is running the Cool Can fan-p1030415-1.jpg   Who here is running the Cool Can fan-p1030416-1.jpg  
Old 12-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
Tech Master

Yeh Proceed5
It HOOTED at that gear Ha Ha.
What sort of temp's where your motor before the Cool Can was put in? One of my friend's run's a Brushless 3.5 and he has been amazed at the difference the cool can made to his performance on the motor. One thing I noticed was that the Motor's overall performance after the heats was so much better. I spent a lot of money on different fans before getting the cool fan. Best money I have spent on my car to know I am going to finish the race and If I don't i know it won't be the motor overheating.
I am going to order a few spare fans just incase I get cleaned up.
Best wishes
Addam
Old 12-24-2006, 10:50 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFMAD
Yeh Proceed5
It HOOTED at that gear Ha Ha.
What sort of temp's where your motor before the Cool Can was put in? One of my friend's run's a Brushless 3.5 and he has been amazed at the difference the cool can made to his performance on the motor. One thing I noticed was that the Motor's overall performance after the heats was so much better. I spent a lot of money on different fans before getting the cool fan. Best money I have spent on my car to know I am going to finish the race and If I don't i know it won't be the motor overheating.
I am going to order a few spare fans just incase I get cleaned up.
Best wishes
Addam
Hi Addam (TRFMad),
That was the first and second day running the 415MRE. And what you saw in the picture i posted was not the CoolCanFans and unfortunately one of the two fans on the motor got busted on the 3rd run. Those are the Muchmore 30mm fans fitted onto an Integy Motor heatsink. I would bet if there weren't any fans at all on the motor, the temp would have been a scorching 60+degrees C. I had 2 different thermo reading from the motor's outer side (which fan is still running 45degrees C) and inner side (fan busted 57degrees C).
I am looking for a better fan-cooling system for both the GTB & Motor, the temp on my ESC is a bit too hot i reckon.

Best regards,
John
Old 12-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default cool fan

hi adam

what was the cost to get one shipped to oz ? looking to get a couple for my msx"s

graham