R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #13651
Tech Regular

As its modified and becuase its the new car i would put money on him running the BD. You are referring to the RROC?
Dan Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:41 AM   #13652
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hughes
As its modified and becuase its the new car i would put money on him running the BD. You are referring to the RROC?
yes, i meant the Reedy race.
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:47 AM   #13653
Tech Regular

I know Chris Grainger is running the BD, we will see tomorrow when they start qualifing. Maybe futureal will post some pics of his car tomorrow.
Dan Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:26 PM   #13654
Tech Adept

Dan

Basically I trashed a PF Dodge 2 at Barham national and am looking for what is closest out of these 3, I have access to each of these shells but just picking which 1 to spray. So just after comparisons really.

Stu
StuartC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #13655
Tech Adept

I had some very basic thoughts acout the SD that I thought I'd share and one question. I'm sure these have been covered many times previously, but I don't know how to do a thread-specific search. If anyone does, please let me know. [The below could be due to me not knowing how to set up my car, as I am new to the RC world]

1. If I use the outermost camber link hole on the hub, the ball caps sometimes rub the tire rims when turning, causing, among other things, differential issues (I run a diff up front).

2. In the stock receiver settings, full steering throw causes the tires to rub against the shock towers. I had to cut back the steering throw. I'm not sure how well the current steering throw will handle the track at SoCal (somewhat tight). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

3. When I use 2 shims in for the read diff rather than 3, things appear to free up a little more. I am guessing that 3 shims start to press against the bearing seal, restricting free movement.

4. When I removed the inside seals from the diff bearings (left-right), this appeared to free up the drive train a little more.

Finally, a question regarding the blue aluminum o-rings used to hold the bones (I think this is the proper term) in place. Does anyone not use them? I am trying running without them because they're a pain to get on and off when I want to change the diff/clean the bearings. So far so good.
grazianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:56 PM   #13656
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to aoizip

grazianos :

i can only help you a little as im still a noob.

1) grind off a little material out of the ball end
where the ball end rubbs the rim. just don't grind too much off.

2) if you use the full steering, the drive shafts are going to bind up and
causing more wear on parts.(I don't use servo's full steering)
i never ran at socal so i can't help you on the setup.

for your last question.
try to keep them on. as when you crash, you don't want to see your
drive shaft flying out and banging up your parts
and killing your C-hub, lower a arms right! (happen to me once)

edit: in mod, the plastic diff cup will expand
and takes a lot of load ==> drive shaft flying out.

~Ming

Last edited by aoizip; 05-27-2005 at 03:21 PM.
aoizip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 03:03 PM   #13657
Tech Regular

i will try and help abit more:

1) use the ball cup from the antiroll bar that has a hole all the way through as it is thinner so doesnt hit the wheel.

2) i have never had it hit the shock tower but i have had it hit the spring reatiner at the bottom of the shock, just adjust your full lock until it doesnt.

3) the number of shims if differnt for everycar you will have to use how many is right for yous, but be carefull because if you dont use enoguh and the gap is to big in between teeth then you have a good chance of stripping gears of breaking them.

4)it will free upi the drivetrain as there is less drag but they will need cleaning more often as the bearings are exposed.

5) you dont really need to run them in 27t, but if your doing 19t or equvilant then i would if your using a spool or oneway. (use them on the rear as spool and oneay dont use them). if you are doing modifed use them front and rear no matter if you are using a spool, diff or oneway.

hope this helped
agower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:57 PM   #13658
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Grazianos:
Just a tip for #1, you can also get what's called a 'pencil-reamer' and ream the sharp edge off of the inside part of the rims. Just don't get too carried away. Agower I feel has the best tip though... HTH -JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #13659
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
On the C-hub kingpins. Do you guys tighten them down all the way to the plastic? I've had 3 back out on me already. .
Iv'e had this problem every now & again and was wondering if anyone has tried using a heli-coil in the steering knuckles? If the threads strip, re-tap with a 3mm heli-coil tap and use a 3mm heli-coil.Might get a bit of extra life out of em.Could even use them from new and if the locking type were used the kingpins would never come loose.
AERCCC Member #18
Yokibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:44 AM   #13660
Tech Regular

Yes, I used helicoils in some plastic parts (diff cases, knuckles,...) but the steering knuckles are under too great strain and it wonīt hold up for long. Use alloy steering knuckles if you know that you will hit something...

Cheers
Chris
speedy-932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #13661
Tech Adept

Default LCG

Its sad not to here anymore good things about the LCG.. Are you guys all at the Reedy Race?

What are you feelings on this new SD? Any track testing?

See ya!
Tbevofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:33 PM   #13662
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The LCG has only been out for a week and it's now the weekend so most people are out racing or doing something else. Alot of people are either at the Reedy race or following it online this weekend as well.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:30 PM   #13663
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

So far I love my LCG it has wicked steering and out of corner speed is insane. I am busy with family this weekend but will be doing testing on Wendsday so I will have even more information. If everything goes well and I get a good setup by this weekend I will race it in a series in stock and move my BD over to the 19T car.

I think you need to let people get back from vactions and after the Reedy. All I know is Masami is turnign wicked fast laps with the BD....Can not wait to see what tommorow holds. I am going by the Reedy race for the first few rounds so I will let everyone know how things went.
Take CAre & GOD BLess
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 12:45 AM   #13664
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
So far I love my LCG it has wicked steering and out of corner speed is insane. I am busy with family this weekend but will be doing testing on Wendsday so I will have even more information. If everything goes well and I get a good setup by this weekend I will race it in a series in stock and move my BD over to the 19T car.

I think you need to let people get back from vactions and after the Reedy. All I know is Masami is turnign wicked fast laps with the BD....Can not wait to see what tommorow holds. I am going by the Reedy race for the first few rounds so I will let everyone know how things went.
Take CAre & GOD BLess
Stephen <><
how is it compared to the BD? my BD's stock set-up works like 80% better than my CGM's best set-up...
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:11 AM   #13665
Tech Regular

Sorry, that I didnīt wrote anything. I tested every day since wednesday at another track. Two times on carpet (Fast Boys Munich, Temposuender Aichach) and one time on asphalt (EMC Marktoberdorf). Today I will go to another asphalt track (MAC Mettenheim).
The car handles in my opinion perfect. It reacts very well to changes on the setup and as a lot of steering. Sometimes too much.
In Munich (my club) I am around 1-2 tenths faster then with the CGM.
In Aichach I am around 3-4 tenths faster then I was at the last race.
And in Marktoberdorf I can catch a guy who was always a little bit faster then me...

So... all around a great car. It performs very well on asphalt and I have to test a few more things on carpet. But if you want I can write a setup down when I come back this evening.

Cheers
Chris
speedy-932 is offline   Reply With Quote