R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #13036
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by rovic
1.5mm for grub screw

pinion, here in the US most are 1/16" or .050" (but i believe 1.5mm come with the kit)...

if your going to work on this car, you need 2 or 3 quality wrenches 2mm / 1.5mm / pinion wrench (1/16")

if it doest fit, dont force it... i know i goes agains all male intuition; but attention to detail is why some finish races and some keep breaking.
my pinions are 1.5mm so i have a 1.5mm hudy wrench and a 2mm hudy wrench. i did just force it everutally to get it in and tight but then first of all i had trouble gettin the driver back off and also when i was tightening it up it would start to slip so couldnt get it tight. so to fix it i just took a gub crew out of the pinion and it fits in perfectly and so far it hasnt come un done with driving it on the road for 30mins so hopefully racing indoors it wil now be ok.

thanks for all your help
A Gower
agower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #13037
Tech Regular

If in doubt give the TiR ones a go, they're much lighter than the Yok steel ones and iv not broken any at all.
Dan Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #13038
Tech Regular

dan where did u get the tir worlds spec from, cant find anywhere that sells them?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #13039
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hughes
If in doubt give the TiR ones a go, they're much lighter than the Yok steel ones and iv not broken any at all.
been thinking about those, but the wear and tear got to be bad? must be nice that kind of cash.

if anything use the harden universals, practicly maintenance free.
rovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #13040
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by agower
dan where did u get the tir worlds spec from, cant find anywhere that sells them?
I will get a phone number for you as they have just moved. I'll PM you after the weekend.

Rovic,

Ill post some pics tomorrow, they do look nice in the packet and on the car. They dont wear much but iv only had them 3 meetings. I'll update you in a couple of weeks when they have had more runs on them. Johnbull has had them for a long time now and there is hardly no wear what so ever.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #13041
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to free up the drivetrain on my sd?. My tc4 drivetrain spins much more freely compared to my sd, there both stock
Old 04-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #13042
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You may have to remove a shim or two frim the input shafts to free up the gear mess in the diff. I also think the stock bearings are not really that good. The precision bearings are much better.

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #13043
Tech Adept

make sure all your bearings are fully seated. failing that run a few pack through the car on a bench. leave the wheels off it
jiggen5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #13044
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The kit bearing are alright, they just pack alot of heavy grease in them. Spray them out and relube them with a light oil and they will spin much better. I also removed a shim from both front and rear input shafts, there still isn't any play and it helps to free the car up as well
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:11 AM   #13045
Tech Champion

thanks guys i'll try to spray out the bearings and take a shim out
Old 04-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #13046
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by jiggen5354
run a few pack through the car on a bench. leave the wheels off it
i guess things are done differantly downunder.

sorry couldnt resist.
rovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #13047
Tech Champion

I think there is only two input shaft shims in there now, do you think taking out one and leaving one will be alright. Also do I just pop off the little shield and blast the bearing out?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:59 AM   #13048
Tech Regular

On the subject of drivetrain does anyone know why my diffs would be inconsistant? I run ceramic diff balls and normal thrust bearings, and at the start of a run they slip like anything for a few laps then become really grippy and normal. One other thing is that there is some really dark residue on the plates after about 4 runs, it rubs off but keeps coming back.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #13049
Tech Regular

a few things.

thanks to matt howard for your spool setup from yokomo.tk, it is really awesome, ran it today at national and i managed to get 9th in A and 4th in A in 27t. worked really well, the only thing i changed was i used 1 degree rear camber.

i managed to see the worlds kit for reall today is a very nice and fast car and am very jealous of all off you that have it, it was runing by a cml sponsord driver (yokomo importer) and it won the modifed A final both times. god knows how he managed to get it, i think he got it off somebody else sponsord by cml that went to the worlds.

he also said that the bd was coming out soon (in uk) then the conversion kit to make it to a worlds level and he also said that they are bringing out a lower spec worlds kit, without all the hotups, same deisgn tho which could be intresting.

thanks
Andy Gower
Old 04-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #13050
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hughes
On the subject of drivetrain does anyone know why my diffs would be inconsistant? I run ceramic diff balls and normal thrust bearings, and at the start of a run they slip like anything for a few laps then become really grippy and normal. One other thing is that there is some really dark residue on the plates after about 4 runs, it rubs off but keeps coming back.
What kind of grease are you running in the diff, I've used associated clear grease and have never had any problems with my diffs.
kmorast is offline   Reply With Quote