R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2005, 08:46 AM   #12976
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
just got confirmation that the SDW "conversion" type kit is the next project for Yokomo. It will be the aluminum lowered bulkheads and motor mount for a standard SD graphite chassis but it will have access so you can take the diffs out of the top of the bulkheads like the new BD instead of taking them apart. No word on pricing or release date yet but it will hopefully be soon.
would you know if Yokomo will be releasing a conversion kit only or a will a chassis kit be on the way as well?

Thanks in advance!
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #12977
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally posted by racer
would you know if Yokomo will be releasing a conversion kit only or a will a chassis kit be on the way as well?

Thanks in advance!
It would have to be a chassis because of the Bulkheads being different.
I would guess since the Rayspeed complete conversion is $149.00 that the SDW conversion will be nearly the same. I will have to start saving now since I am buying the BD today.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #12978
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by racer

Thanks in advance!
As far as I know it's just a conversion kit using your existing SD chassis.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:51 AM   #12979
Tech Elite

Quote:
As far as I know it's just a conversion kit using your existing SD chassis.
I think we have a difference of opinions Matt.
I guess I will explain how I got to my conclusion.
I notice on the SDW that the bulkheads are moved outward and are wider than the stock diff cases and the Diff case screw holes are very close to the center of the car and I would think that it would be very hard to lower the CG and have a bulkhead screwing into the old diff case mount holes.
I hope this makes more since than how it sounded coming though my head.
Stephen <><
Old 03-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #12980
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Have I ever steered you wrong with the info I've given before? I only try to post what info I'm allowed to by Yokomo USA. The conversion is just starting to be worked on but the plan is to use the existing SD chassis's with lowered SDW type aluminum bulkheads. If they're including a chassis as well then the cost of the "conversion" might as well be a new kit. That's what they're trying to avoid, too high of a price.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:28 AM   #12981
Tech Elite

Quote:
Have I ever steered you wrong with the info I've given before? I only try to post what info I'm allowed to by Yokomo USA. The conversion is just starting to be worked on but the plan is to use the existing SD chassis's with lowered SDW type aluminum bulkheads. If they're including a chassis as well then the cost of the "conversion" might as well be a new kit. That's what they're trying to avoid, too high of a price.
IF I am wrong I think I would be happy to be wrong as it would cost a bunch less than they way I stated. I have been worng before. And heck could you amagin a Rayspeed with the SDW bulkheads.......I think I will be very happy....
Stephen <><
Old 03-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #12982
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just got some new packs of the GP3700s and they don't fit the slots in the CGM or Rayspeed. Will now save them for the BD that's coming with those new battery slot inserts.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #12983
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to 92tsi
Default steering

does anyone have the patr forme, just want to convert the steering back to the stock position.
92tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:05 PM   #12984
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Just got the Rayspeed......

Quote:
Originally posted by pops
The inner screw hole is elongated to fit different size servos. You don't use any washers on it.
I figured that much, What I ment was the inner screw hole is also to wide for any of the screws on the chassis in fact the heads of counter sunk screws have nothing to support them.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #12985
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Just got the Rayspeed......

Quote:
The CGM has a different FWD top deck mount than the SSG, Black or Rayspeed. The correct foward mount is included when you buy a new transmission case. Very few people convert from a CGM to a Rayspeed. Most convert from the SSG type to a Rayspeed or a CGM. So that is probably why that part is not included since the Rayspeed came before the CGM.
Oh great so I have to get two whole transmission cases (I'll never use as I have two CGM kits already) just for a couple of bits of plastic.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:21 PM   #12986
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Just got the Rayspeed......

Quote:
Originally posted by Mabuchi540
I figured that much, What I ment was the inner screw hole is also to wide for any of the screws on the chassis in fact the heads of counter sunk screws have nothing to support them.
I don't know of anybody who has had problems with the standard screws fitting or being supported by the chassis. I don't think you will have a problem once you put in the servo.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:27 PM   #12987
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Just got the Rayspeed......

Quote:
Originally posted by Mabuchi540
Oh great so I have to get two whole transmission cases (I'll never use as I have two CGM kits already) just for a couple of bits of plastic.
Just e-mail me your address and I will send you the parts. Unless you can find anyone close to you who has bought a tranny case lately. Or if you know anyone who converted from the older car to the CGM. Remember the other cars came out before the CGM.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:41 PM   #12988
Tech Master

Default Thank you for kind offer....

Quote:
Just e-mail me your address and I will send you the parts. Unless you can find anyone close to you who has bought a tranny case lately. Or if you know anyone who converted from the older car to the CGM. Remember the other cars came out before the CGM.
ygm.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #12989
Tech Elite

First run w/ the Yok today. I got the diff so smooth, that it makes AE drivers blush.

It seemed really smooth, thanks to the rear diff and front one-way the car was had the slow-fast feeling. (sorry if that doesn't make sense). I was able to coast it in the corners and roll on throttle coming out w/o any torque steer. I was practicing w/ a Corally driver, and we were about the same speed throught the track.

Only complaints: broke rear diff screw and I can't run short camber link w/ RPM ball cups. The turnbuckle cuts into the socket and then I can't attach the ballcup to the ball stud
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:09 PM   #12990
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
The conversion is just starting to be worked on but the plan is to use the existing SD chassis's with lowered SDW type aluminum bulkheads. If they're including a chassis as well then the cost of the "conversion" might as well be a new kit. That's what they're trying to avoid, too high of a price.

This is good news. I hope they make it a 3 piece part. One solid bottom piece and two removable upper pieces for easy diff access, with optional plastic parts to totally seal the diff case :P just like the evo.

If this falls through then the bulkheads can be used on CGMs too (if you don't mind the weight of course)

rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote