R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2005, 08:37 AM   #12811
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro4Capece
Hey guys, I just bought a SSG SD last night. I wanted to know what are the spare parts ya'll recommend or think that might weaken or break? And what modifications should I make to the car?
Replace the plastic arms, carriers and hubs for Graphite parts if you can. Believe me - the plastic parts are far weaker than Yokomo's main competitors (Losi, AE, Schumacher, Xray, HPI etc) thanks mainly to lack of fibre reinforcement in what appears to be a very brittle choice of materials, often with moulding imperfections thrown in for good measure. Consequently, the stock plastic wishbones, steering knuckles, c carriers, rear hubs etc are all far easier to break than they really should be.

Once you get the Graphite parts, you'll have a car thats nice and durable. Not everyone likes the idea, but I also use Suzuki alloy rear hub carriers which have performed flawlessly.

Infact, I've just completed an entire indoor winter series without breaking the car at all - finishing 3rd overall in Super Stock. I haven't changed to the wide front bumper yet, but I imagine it would be a very good idea.

Diff out cups also wear very quickly, so with some minor modification, try adapting some RC Lab or Corally 'blades' - it removes alot of slop and the cups seem to last forever. I've also seen someone modify the SD to work with Xray driveshafts.

Enjoy your SD - it's a great car to work with.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:45 AM   #12812
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

Good news btw: Last weekend, first 2005 round of the swiss nats, 70 drivers... One and just one Yokomo in the whole paddocks... Guess who won the 17T class?

The car will retire at the peak of its glory... My FK05 is already ordered. back to belts!

Cheers,
Paul
Congrats with your result - that's awesome! Winning a National must feel great.

Good luck with your FK05. They look really nice!
Old 03-17-2005, 12:06 PM   #12813
Tech Adept

Most people will forget that if you break an arm or hub carrier you probably bent a hinge pin on impact. Due to adjustability, the hinge pin isn't supported well between the suspension mounts very well, but, I'll take tuneability over the few buck anyday. I'll recomend that you get a couple packs for spares and just maintanance.
iamramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:18 PM   #12814
Tech Master

Hey guys, I just checked out www.yokomousa.com , and they have one-way drive shaft for the drift cars and the SDs. In the description, it indicates that it gives more steering. Can anyone explain the pros and cons of the oneway drive shaft? The input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, here's the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.yokomousa.com/newproducts...-644ts_450.jpg

Thanks for info.
rc_bam226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:53 PM   #12815
Tech Master

Just wondering, does anyone know if

a Rayspeed top deck can fit on a CGM without modification?

I notice in instructions that the parts the deck would bolt to on the CGM gearboxes is called SD-002BG.

BUT that same part as supplied with SD-302/G if brought seperately for the SSG (the model the Rayspeed seems to be aimed at) looks different.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 03-18-2005 at 04:27 AM.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:46 AM   #12816
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by iamramos
Most people will forget that if you break an arm or hub carrier you probably bent a hinge pin on impact. Due to adjustability, the hinge pin isn't supported well between the suspension mounts very well, but, I'll take tuneability over the few buck anyday. I'll recomend that you get a couple packs for spares and just maintanance.
Some of these weak plastic parts would break without any major impact to speak of - just hopping over a dot, clipping a curb - sometimes even just under normal racing loads.

I for one have never bent any pin or shaft on my Yok, but during my Yok's first season, numerous arms, carriers and steering knuckles failed. The things they all had in common was poor material and poor moulding. Thankfully Yokomo attempted to sort things out by revising the parts, but in the end it was quite clear the G parts were far stronger and also better made. Note the choice of material in the subsequent CGM kits.

It's history now, but anyone thinking of racing an SSG with the plastic parts for the first time needs to know these things.

Properly moulded parts needn't compromise tuneability, either.

So to sum up - get the G parts and replace the plastic parts as they fail. Better still, replace the plastic parts with G parts before they fail and save some fustration.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:12 AM   #12817
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
Congrats with your result - that's awesome! Winning a National must feel great.

Good luck with your FK05. They look really nice!
Thanks for the kind words... but I know you just wrote that down because you knew I was going to give you a hard time on your comments about graphitising the whole car

JohnBull: The Corally does win (a bit), true... but never in the hands of average drivers at the club-racing level. It's not as bad as the Assassin, but still, it's definitely not a car that's as user-friendly and "sensible" as an XRay. I have a very good pit buddy of mine who's got a full Corally ride, and even himself discourages anyone but the most hardcore racers to go to his brand. I've seen joe blokes going to the T1 and suddenly getting MUCH better results. The XRay is, I believe, the car that requires the least TLC to be quick... It's not any quicker than the other top cars (SD included) but it seems to really take a lot less work to get it up there.

Parts availability is also a big concern. Can you imagine that out of 70 guys at the race, I was the *only* one to drive a Yokomo? I broke a spindle once, and I freaked out for a few minutes because I thought I had forgotten my spares at home... No one could help me on that one! 30% of the paddock now drives Xray, and this is gonna be a big help for me to share parts and experience.

Don't get me wrong... the SD is a great car, and the one I've had my best results with so far. But I think it's time for a change, and my schedule doesn't leave me enough time to be quick with anything but an "easy" car, setup- and maintenance-wise. I know the Xray will treat me right!

Cheers,
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:58 AM   #12818
Tech Elite

The Xray is easy to lose it's tune. It is very sensitive to changes, and half the time, you are going backwards with setup b/c there are so many adjustments.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:53 AM   #12819
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro4Capece
The Xray is easy to lose it's tune. It is very sensitive to changes, and half the time, you are going backwards with setup b/c there are so many adjustments.
Funny... I heard the exact opposite, that it's a dream to setup because of its consistency

The yoke is a great car, but I dount there's anyone on this forum to tell you it's not a challenge to set-up right for average drivers!

Anyways... the decision's made

Cheers,
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:55 AM   #12820
Tech Elite

Lonestar - am I really that shallow!!

One freind of mine has the Xray (the full on one, not the raycer) and it is very competitive. He really knows how to set a car up mind you, so that obviously helps.

He allowed me to try it out. It's very nice to drive, seems to give the impression of more grip - that planted feel - compared to the SD. Really nicely made and easy to drive.

However - you don't want to adjust the rear belt tension when you're in a hurry!! Nothings as easy to work on as the Yok. I'm pretty sure you'll miss that!

The new Xray should be better still - better layout.

Regards

Horatio

Old 03-18-2005, 06:18 AM   #12821
Tech Adept

Talking about the layout and working on the car.
I think the BD will be a lot easier to maintain than the XRAY...

I would go for a BD tough.

I'm not a freaky Yoko Fan, but I think the new BD is just the car between all those new belters. My reasons:

XRAY - seems hard to maintain, screwed bulkheads
TRF415 - fidly Tamiya construction and same reasons as XRAY
HB Proto - Don't like the construction, looks weird
Atlas YM-34 - Nobody use it in my country

chaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:02 AM   #12822
Tech Elite

Horatio,

yes you are

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback - I sure hear ya: there's no way the Xray will be as easy to wrench on than the yoke, that's for sure... however it appears that you seldom have to rebuild diffs on the xray, and I believe once the belt is broken and set up, it's for good (unless it snaps, of course). Belts don't stretch eternally!

Seriously... the xray is the easiest car to have working right. and it doesn't tweak... it's exactly what I need: A tolerant car that works out of the box, and which is consistent from run to run. The yoke is fast, but my buddies are just amazed by how much time I spend wrenching on it in between heats

Cheers,
Paul

Old 03-18-2005, 07:13 AM   #12823
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

Seriously... the xray is the easiest car to have working right. and it doesn't tweak... it's exactly what I need: A tolerant car that works out of the box, and which is consistent from run to run
Dont be so sure on the tweak... You can tweak it.

I just sold an FK and bought a CGM because local support is much better where I am (I was the only Xray in this state and no stores stock the parts), but the Xray was a great car. Build quality is unmatched. The Yokomo CGM was stacks better than I was expecting though actually.

The Shocks are no where near as good as the Yokomo ones, they are great.

Good luck with the Xray though, thier new car should be a winner just like the FK
Old 03-18-2005, 07:49 AM   #12824
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Does the Xray tweak as easy as the SSG. There is this older couple at my track that are around 55 to 60 and they both run xray. They hit the wall all the time, and there cars never seem to tweak and they only break every now and then.

Ive been running yokomo for the last 2 to 2.5 years and I was thinking of trying that new xray, b/c it getting to the point where I dont feel like Im getting any faster( slower if any thing). Whats going to be the diff between the BD and xray. Or is it even worth trying out the xray.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:58 AM   #12825
Tech Adept

By the way, I had a FK 2004 too.

The new XRAY will have a new kind of spool, which can be used in 3 different ways. But check out their website, as we are still in a yokomo sd Forum!

Tweaking, isn't such a big issue, just losen an relock the topdeck screws after a hit, that's it...
chaini is offline   Reply With Quote