R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #12796
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Hebiki
Geppetto... the springs you are running.. are those yokomo or rayspeed? (green front, yellow rear)
They are Yokomo springs. However, I'm considering trying out the Rayspeed spring setup.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:55 AM   #12797
Tech Master

SPOOL.

On our track, which is fast and open the spool works great. This weekend we are on a track layout with lots of interconnected corners so I have put the one way up front again since we don't need to use brakes in 23 turn which I run in.

I will keep the spool in my son's mod TC4 because he needs brakes.

I didn't change the set up at all between spool and one way. It's still as it was.

TYRES.

The tyre manufacturers have gone and complicated matters again. These are our findings.

The quickest tyre for about 2 minutes is the Sorex 24, followed closely by the Sorex 28. You should get a good consistant 5 minute run in stock with it, but you will be lucky if you can be as quick at 4.5 minutes as you were in the first minute in mod with them.

Take Off CS22. Almost as good as Sorex 24 in the first couple of minutes in mod. Better than the Sorex after 3 minutes. You can do 3 five minute races in mod with little deterioration in race pace and lap times.

RP24. Not as quick as the TakeOff CS22 anywhere. More like a Take Off CS27 in performance. We've done 2 or 3 runs with them and they have stayed consistant but are slower than the CS22, so wewill be sticking to the CS22 for the time being.

POWERS PJ22. Everybody that I have spoken to who has tested these says they are the quickest tyres yet. They have the grip of the Sorex 24 and the endurance of the CS22. We haven't tried them ourselves yet so I am only going on heresay, but I have some sets on the way so I will know soon.

Has anyone done any serious testing with these brands yet?
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:58 AM   #12798
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

The car will retire at the peak of its glory... My FK05 is already ordered. back to belts!

Cheers,
Paul
What on earth posessed you. If I was going to a new belt drive car I would go for one that's winning somewhere every weekend in Europe, namely the Corally RDX.

Or you could wait for the new Yoke. You have lots of spares.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:09 AM   #12799
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
The RP'S are suppose to be just like the Sorex tire. We will be ruuning them this weekend @ Speedworld if it doesn't rain.
Yeah, and my Old Navy jeans are just as good as my Levis.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:11 AM   #12800
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

yeah, and his Integy packs were just as good as anything else
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:00 AM   #12801
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally posted by Turtlemaster
jaybee, hope you didn't go drop a bunch of money on unproven tires. the rp's are new to Fantasy World, and while the rubber may be the same as a sorex, the inserts are hard as hell and don't have any air gap. if you go run elesroc or 4 seasons where the track as tons of traction (as oppose to artifical traction, - grape soda), then the rp's should be just fine. it has taken many years and lots of money but the sorex 32' and 36's when really hot, with the yok 039f or hpi inserts is what works. also the ing tire in a 32 works great also. thats what korey used to tq and win 19t last year at FW's two day race, and i think he ran the same tire both days, and in 19t and mod.
Your hope is confirmed, I just bought one set of the RP-30's. For new tyres I've already got 11 sets between Yokes, Sorex, Take-offs and RP. Plus Andrew suggested some foam traction compound for FW this year; he ran it last year and he had mad grip.

- JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM   #12802
Tech Master

Default Re: Quick question time.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mabuchi540
I have 3 hole Yokomo pistons in one set of shocks with 450 oil and it seems to work in most cases and I also tried 3 hole Rayspeed ones (in another set of shocks) with the same oil but it was way to soft so switched back.

Just wondering what weight oil do ppl think I should go up to with the 3 hole Rayspeed pistons to get a similar action to the 3 hole Yokes with 450 oil?

I'm guessing 600?
*SD bump* SD thread nearly on page 3 and yet the BD isn't even out and it's still on page one *end bump*
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:32 AM   #12803
Tech Elite

Hey guys, I just bought a SSG SD last night. I wanted to know what are the spare parts ya'll recommend or think that might weaken or break? And what modifications should I make to the car?
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:38 AM   #12804
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Get the wide bumper and Heavy Duty arms. Everything else is pretty good.
Hope this helps.
Welcome to the SD family.
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:48 AM   #12805
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Even the stock arms are fine... front wide bumper is a must-have! Maybe C-hubs and front spindles...

Besides that, a set of steel or Ti front bones and you're set!

Cheers,
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:48 AM   #12806
Tech Adept

Graphite Parts are preety cool and improves the handling very much.

Use a rear damper stay in front or try some from other tuners.

Don't install the middle deck, isn't necessary.

Welcome to the SD-Club!
chaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:59 AM   #12807
Tech Elite

Thanks for the really fast response. I will have about 5 sets of chubs, knuckles, and arms. I'm going to run the one-way up front, so should I stock up on gears. Speedtech has about 6 different shim sizes and each pack cost $5. What are the sizes that I would need the most to do the transmission?

thanks
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:17 AM   #12808
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
yeah, and his Integy packs were just as good as anything else
Yeah, I forgot about that... oops I think he's back to running those Integy packs and motors again.

Last edited by pops; 03-17-2005 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #12809
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Quick question time.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mabuchi540
*SD bump* SD thread nearly on page 3 and yet the BD isn't even out and it's still on page one *end bump*
I would try the 600 or 650 wt. or just get the RaySpeed #2s.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:27 AM   #12810
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro4Capece
Thanks for the really fast response. I will have about 5 sets of chubs, knuckles, and arms. I'm going to run the one-way up front, so should I stock up on gears. Speedtech has about 6 different shim sizes and each pack cost $5. What are the sizes that I would need the most to do the transmission?

thanks
Yokomo has a part with assorted shims for the bevel gears, ZC-S80 for the shims behind the bevel gear and ZC-100S for shims to position the diffs. Each pack has several each of the different size shims.