R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-14-2005, 04:44 PM   #12781
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Hey guys the outdoor racing season just started for us out here and I'm still strugglin' w/ set-up, but of course still having fun. With alot of the 'big boy' races running pre-mounts and the bazillion combinations of tyres/inserts, I was thinkin' (uh oh)... is it possible to learn set-up with these cars at an accelerated (and let's not forget cheaper ) rate with pre-mounts on any track surface/conditions?
AIIH...

- JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:13 PM   #12782
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
Try ATHEENA PROJECTS...

- JB
Thanks for that suggestion JB (even tho I wasnt the one who asked..) its just what I was also looking for..

Thier URL is http://www.atheenaprojects.com
Old 03-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #12783
Tech Adept

Quote:
Hey guys the outdoor racing season just started for us out here and I'm still strugglin' w/ set-up, but of course still having fun. With alot of the 'big boy' races running pre-mounts and the bazillion combinations of tyres/inserts, I was thinkin' (uh oh)... is it possible to learn set-up with these cars at an accelerated (and let's not forget cheaper ) rate with pre-mounts on any track surface/conditions?
AIIH...

- JB
its always hard for anyone to know what works best for a track, unless theyve actually raced there.

"bigboys" are for the most part are your best resource, they will always use the best combo for the correct application; and if you lack the courage to talk to them there is always your lhs employee/racer.

what type of brand, premounts are you guys running?
rubber is temp rated / inserts are grip rated
rovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:35 PM   #12784
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by rovic
its always hard for anyone to know what works best for a track, unless theyve actually raced there.

"bigboys" are for the most part are your best resource, they will always use the best combo for the correct application; and if you lack the courage to talk to them there is always your lhs employee/racer.

v
v
vvvv
vv
v

Last edited by JayBee; 03-14-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #12785
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by rovic

Thanks... but I get around enough to know what you're stating. I'm trying to get away from the hundreds of dollars that goes into buying every sort of insert/tyre combo out there. I'm going to be running RP-30's, also RP-32's and 36's when they come out, and Take-off 27's. RP is produced by TO.
Simply... can I run pre-mounts and still set-up the car for maximum grip on any track surface/condition?

- JB

Old 03-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #12786
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks... but I get around enough to know what you're stating. I'm trying to get away from the hundreds of dollars that goes into buying every sort of insert/tyre combo out there. I'm going to be running RP-30's, also RP-32's and 36's when they come out, and Take-off 27's. RP is produced by TO.
Simply... can I run pre-mounts and still set-up the car for maximum grip on any track surface/condition?

- JB
lost me when you said premounts...
- premounts are preglued from the manufacture, there is realy just a handful of combinations from any given manufacture...

ive ran takeoff 27s, 'left over handouts' - but i wouldnt recomend them to anyone, they tend to go away after afew packs... the rp 32s (cant remember company name) are what im running now (i think they are made by take-off; package under a different name/just like you said, with good results, they are consistent pack after pack and dont over heat no matter how hard i push; what more can you ask for in a tire... quality control is something to be improved upon though...

i was told the that rp-32 are equivlent to takeoff-30, a few steps down in hardness...
rovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:46 PM   #12787
Tech Master

Quick question time.....

I have 3 hole Yokomo pistons in one set of shocks with 450 oil and it seems to work in most cases and I also tried 3 hole Rayspeed ones (in another set of shocks) with the same oil but it was way to soft so switched back.

Just wondering what weight oil do ppl think I should go up to with the 3 hole Rayspeed pistons to get a similar action to the 3 hole Yokes with 450 oil?

I'm guessing 600?
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:32 PM   #12788
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

- JB
Most likely not. That's why in they don't run pre-mounts in Asia. Seems sad that we are getting stuck with pre-mounts in these big races. But it has it's upside (less cost and equality) and it's downsize (lack of traction).
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:29 PM   #12789
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The RP'S are suppose to be just like the Sorex tire. We will be ruuning them this weekend @ Speedworld if it doesn't rain.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:04 AM   #12790
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
The RP'S are suppose to be just like the Sorex tire. We will be ruuning them this weekend @ Speedworld if it doesn't rain.
They'd better be up there in quality, they cost the same ...

- JB

Old 03-15-2005, 03:01 AM   #12791
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys, b4 i go off on my RC sabbatical for 3 months (i have to go for training) i just got myself a TIR spool for my CGM(i just couldn't help it!)
I would like to hear some tips on how it's going to affect my car's handling. Currently I'm driving with a one-way and to be honest, i'ma rippin'. Just wanted to try something different.
SO, what can i expect from a spool in a tiny track and also, what settings should i change just in case my car goes all awkwardly?

Johnbull, time to speak up!

Thanks in advance!
Happy racing.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:11 AM   #12792
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
Hi guys, b4 i go off on my RC sabbatical for 3 months (i have to go for training) i just got myself a TIR spool for my CGM(i just couldn't help it!)
I would like to hear some tips on how it's going to affect my car's handling. Currently I'm driving with a one-way and to be honest, i'ma rippin'. Just wanted to try something different.
SO, what can i expect from a spool in a tiny track and also, what settings should i change just in case my car goes all awkwardly?

Johnbull, time to speak up!

Thanks in advance!
Happy racing.
I think you can expect other racers to run circles around you on tight, technical layouts (ie most indoor tracks).... at least that's what I found out.

I gave up on the spool... not enough turn-in in slow sections for me.

I guess with foams it's different, but for rubber on carpet it just didn't work for me. there's one circumstance where it really rocks, it's when there's a weird slow section at the end of a fast straight... the spool helps the car stay stable. Otherwise, I found it slowed me down.

Good news btw: Last weekend, first 2005 round of the swiss nats, 70 drivers... One and just one Yokomo in the whole paddocks... Guess who won the 17T class?

The car will retire at the peak of its glory... My FK05 is already ordered. back to belts!

Cheers,
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:25 AM   #12793
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Because of the nature of a Spool (locked front diff) the wheels are fighting each other as you turn into the corner because of thier turning radius (the reason why cars have ackerman), this causes understeer as they fight each other for grip.

As you come on the power on corner exit there is no slip in the diff, the wheels are straightening up and you can get all your power to the ground.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:34 AM   #12794
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

The car will retire at the peak of its glory... My FK05 is already ordered. back to belts!

Cheers,
Paul
Why not a BD?
chaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:55 AM   #12795
Tech Elite

jaybee, hope you didn't go drop a bunch of money on unproven tires. the rp's are new to Fantasy World, and while the rubber may be the same as a sorex, the inserts are hard as hell and don't have any air gap. if you go run elesroc or 4 seasons where the track as tons of traction (as oppose to artifical traction, - grape soda), then the rp's should be just fine. it has taken many years and lots of money but the sorex 32' and 36's when really hot, with the yok 039f or hpi inserts is what works. also the ing tire in a 32 works great also. thats what korey used to tq and win 19t last year at FW's two day race, and i think he ran the same tire both days, and in 19t and mod.
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote