R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2005, 02:29 AM   #12031
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by beer_drinker
I had to do that as well when I shortened the screw, except i didn't take that much off
Yes, but I wanted to make it right angled.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:47 AM   #12032
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I started to rebuild my diff, but I can never get it as smooth as my losi truck diff. Is this normal?
Old 01-27-2005, 07:49 AM   #12033
Tech Apprentice

Hey Midnight, I just re-built the diff's in my yok. Just for curiosity I took a pair of the old ring's and rubbed them around on some 2000 grit paper for awhile till they looked almost like new. Re-assembled the diff with new irs ball's and it felt as good as the new ring's, maybe better, hope this help's.
HENRYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:07 AM   #12034
Tech Regular

Midnight,
Losi comes with carbide diff balls, while yoks only use normal steel balls. Gets some carbide balls for your yok.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:31 AM   #12035
Tech Adept

Quote:
What's the theory behind diff tightness. What difference does it make running the front tighter than the rear for example ?
tight diffs or using silicone will help prevent your car from unloading in chicanes, tights corners, or where hard acceleration is need after a corner. thats why a spool is such an advantage at tamiyausa track.

in offroad, smooth feeling (like planatary diff) are great... but on road those planatary diffs unload to much.

mat; ill try silicone paste. i my experiance, silicone always leads to a slipping diff.
rovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:53 AM   #12036
Tech Adept

Default diffs

sanding your diff rings is good preventive maintenance. by sanding the rings you put gooves on the rings which help trap lube and assist in helping the balls from slipping.

diff balls what the differance. (assuming all balls are good quality)
steal is as works good as ceramic / tungsten, but can be flat spotted when the diff slips and wear more so they will need to be rebuilt more often.

tungsten, is harder and tolerances are much more percise than steel. is pretty much the standard in the industry. can be re used (will explain later)

ceramic, great balls = light, close tolerances, super hard. but expensive - i would use them only if they were given to me and only if it was some stock nats or something.

**when a diff goes bad, diff usualy go bad when they slipped or after a year and the lube has broken down and the diff has begun to slip... when a diff slipps it destroys the thrust bearing (flat spots, distorted balls, ect), and that cant be rebuilt, it must be replaced. ceramic and tungsten diff balls can be reused and diff rings can be filled down and reused. i dont know why they don't sell a diff rebuild kit, ae and losi do.

good luck
Old 01-27-2005, 09:19 AM   #12037
Tech Regular

Most diff lubes are silicon base. your diff slips because there is oil on the rings or balls,oil will break down the silicon. Clean them with motor spray before you build it.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:41 AM   #12038
Tech Adept

Default silicone

silicone diff lube and silicone diff oil (ie, 100,000wt stuff)

silicone diff oil (100,000wt) stuff will slip even on a lock down diff. as i found out on my b4 diff (the standard by which all diffs are measured). during preseason testing slipped like mad.

my b4 diff never slipped, three months of practice and one cactus classic (no slip), stored it for about a year while i raced on road and one weekend busted it out for a club race, it was barking off every jump. my conclusion silicone breakdown...

my advice, leave the silicone diff oil for planatary diff and dampning tubs/disk...

nice guess caveman, but i tested the two different lubes and pretty much ever lube out there. and ive found that the ae black silicone and ae clear silicone to be the best.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:09 PM   #12039
Tech Elite

For my rear diff I used carbibe, and replace the rings, and the thrust balls and thrust plates but I could still never get it smooth. I also use fully synthetic lube. I am running ceramic in the front!!
Old 01-27-2005, 12:38 PM   #12040
Tech Regular

yuo suer its your diff and not your bearings?
agower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #12041
Tech Adept

whats not smooth, is it notchy or bind when turning the diff (like a high spot)?

1st - assuming you have no defective parts, it could be the outdrives themselves. its made out of plastic and can distorted.

2nd - you could have damaged the diff by tighting it without allowing to seat as its tightend.

also fit and finish is very inportant. ensure that the thrust bearings/spring are seated on the diff half and the locking nut is fully seated and flat...
Old 01-27-2005, 01:17 PM   #12042
Tech Elite

Okay that sounds about right! I will replace the outdrives to see if I can get it to smooth out. When I get it completely together, the diff feels like there is sand in it.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #12043
Tech Adept

Default feels like sand?

did you sand your diff rings?

that gives the feeling of rough-y or sandy diff. no immedate fix for that until the diff balls breakin (when a grove is worn into the rings) and the sandy feel goes away...

i wouldn't get new diff halfs it won't help you there...
Old 01-27-2005, 01:57 PM   #12044
Tech Master

Default I think it could be number 2:.......

Quote:
Originally posted by rovic
whats not smooth, is it notchy or bind when turning the diff (like a high spot)?

1st - assuming you have no defective parts, it could be the outdrives themselves. its made out of plastic and can distorted.

2nd - you could have damaged the diff by tighting it without allowing to seat as its tightend.

also fit and finish is very inportant. ensure that the thrust bearings/spring are seated on the diff half and the locking nut is fully seated and flat...
I'm new to the CGM but for want of a better word diffs are diffs....I built my car and the diff felt smooth but after just a few minutes of a bench test run they (both diffs) needed re-adjusting.

Also I think it's how you check them. I've never felt a diff that didn't feel somewhat sandy (whatever that means to you) if you checked it's action by turning only one wheel (even on the best of cars).

But they feel completely different if you check it by turning both wheels in opposite directions at the same time.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 01-27-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #12045
Tech Elite

Okay that makes since, I will run them tonight and see how they feel afterwards. Once again thanks everyone for the input!

I guess it would be true to say new is not always good!!LOL