R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2005, 04:47 AM   #11701
Tech Rookie

I think CGM is definitely the way to go. I used to have a SD, and then a rayspeed conversion, but was constantly in the B final. Switchched to the CGM and I am regularly making the A. It did take a big effort to get the weight down.

Ti Screws
Ti Input shafts
Tobee center shaft
Square Axles
Lightweight electrics (futaba 9550 servo) - even shortened the servo leads

The weight is down to about 1515g - which I consider o.k. The best bit about the CGM is the maintainence. I really enjoy the wrenching, and can fully rebuild the CGM on a Sunday evening, it really is easy. The car handles so well, and the tub chassis really handles the knocks.

Just got the SDW and it looks good, but the maintenance will be more work. The only trouble I had was getting the spur gear holder on the spur. Ended up stripping it and replacing it with a standard SD one.
Al Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:33 AM   #11702
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Al Williams
I think CGM is definitely the way to go. I used to have a SD, and then a rayspeed conversion, but was constantly in the B final. Switchched to the CGM and I am regularly making the A. It did take a big effort to get the weight down.
Ti Screws
Ti Input shafts
Tobee center shaft
Square Axles
Lightweight electrics (futaba 9550 servo) - even shortened the servo leads
The weight is down to about 1515g - which I consider o.k. The best bit about the CGM is the maintainence. I really enjoy the wrenching, and can fully rebuild the CGM on a Sunday evening, it really is easy. The car handles so well, and the tub chassis really handles the knocks.
Just got the SDW and it looks good, but the maintenance will be more work. The only trouble I had was getting the spur gear holder on the spur. Ended up stripping it and replacing it with a standard SD one.
Very Well Said! I am in the process of Rebuilding mine, I notice that the TRF shocks weights less than the Yokomo's (by feel), I think I can move my weight down a bit by changing to RS towers and lightening the bat holder some more.

Wil post pictures as soon as I finish my rebuild!
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:21 AM   #11703
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing
Default Re: 68 tooth

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluey_74
Salvadori,

im using exactly what Mabuchi suggested, 68/30!!
**Note** i am running the 2.55 internal drive. By D Square or whoever it is!!

I am curious to know what sort of gearing people suggest for 19t on a LARGE track.
My club uses the local 1/8 Nitro circuit, so its a bloody huge track.

Suggestions?

Thanks
i use to race 19t at a 60meter straight track......gear ratio around 5.5~5.8........

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:17 AM   #11704
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by lem2
It's the best for Asphalt!!! If you race on a smooth asphalt, May I suggest use a Swaybar that is thick in the Front. I use a Ti Swaybar in Front made of SPOKES for an MTB!!!
Here's a Picture of the swaybar......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ti swaybar.jpg (74.4 KB, 151 views)
Old 01-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #11705
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Very Well Said! I am in the process of Rebuilding mine, I notice that the TRF shocks weights less than the Yokomo's (by feel), I think I can move my weight down a bit by changing to RS towers and lightening the bat holder some more.

Wil post pictures as soon as I finish my rebuild!
why don't you use battery tape instead?
I weighed my CGM with novak BL and transponder minus bodyshell at 1600gm...very pissed after all the aluminium and titanium i put in...
Now i've removed the battery posts, cut of the posts from the motor mount
havent had a chance to weigh it again but i hope i've taken off some 30gms?
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #11706
Tech Elite

What is the weight of the rayspeed shock towers?
For good measure what is the weight of the CGM towers?
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:56 AM   #11707
Tech Master

Quote:
Here's a Picture of the swaybar......
Who makes that graphite bumper brace?
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #11708
Tech Champion

I think Square does, speedtech carries it and some body mount braces as well.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #11709
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
why don't you use battery tape instead?
I weighed my CGM with novak BL and transponder minus bodyshell at 1600gm...very pissed after all the aluminium and titanium i put in...
Now i've removed the battery posts, cut of the posts from the motor mount
havent had a chance to weigh it again but i hope i've taken off some 30gms?
Tape is a very good idea, but sometimes I loose a heat or could not finish a heat because the tape gets eaten up under the chassis, I have made a very lightweight bat holder! Will post tom, forgot it in the ofice.

I do not have a weighing scale now but will do it tom and post it.
I will compare the weight of the CGM shocks against the TRF, RS towers and CGM towers.

Really excited about the rebuild of my CGM I finally found a Team Suzuki Rear hub!!!

Square made those bumper braces.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:40 AM   #11710
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff
Default SDW on Carpet

Hi guys,

Figured I would chime in here about the SDW...

Just to give you a little background, I ran Touring Stock at SnowBirds last year with my Yokomo SD Rayspeed Edition car. I qualified 2nd and finished 3rd in the A with it. I definitely had enough speed to win, but got into a couple big wrecks that almost put me a lap down.

Now, I know that the Rayspeed car nor the SDW are cars that are "designed" for carpet. I just choose to run them.

I just wanted to say that I am very pleased with my SDW so far. I've only gotten the chance to run it once at my local carpet track, but it was definitely better than my Rayspeed. The car turns more effortlessly and is easier to drive. I picked up about a 1/2 tenth to a full tenth a lap, which in my book is a ton. I race with Jeff Cuffs on a regular basis. So you know the competition is there.

Now, I don't know if this is right, but I notice that the SDW is stiffer, chassis wise, than the Rayspeed. The Rayspeed chassis I have measures at 3.2mm. The SDW is 2.45mm. Better quality graphite maybe? I think the Rayspeed has the fiberglass laminate to give it that dull finish, which would take some integrity away.

Anyway, I think this car is definitely a winner. On carpet or asphalt. Doesn't matter. It's a great car.

Later guys,

Jason Schreffler
Old 01-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #11711
Tech Champion

Cuffs is your competition? LOL I used to smoke that little punk all the time next you're gonna tell me that scooby is fast to, LOL

Just so everyone know's, I used to race with schreff and cuffs when I was on the east coast and I'm just teasing, but I did whip 'em
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 01-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #11712
Tech Elite

Yo Matt...

I think things would be a little different now. Get your butt back here to play. Only issue is we play in stock. Ya, I know, the wuss class.

After everyone left Englishtown and the track closed, everyone stopped running mod. I'm sure we'll go back to that eventually.

And for the record, when I ran against you at E-Town - I HAD NO CLUE how to setup a touring car. I was an "oval" racer. Now I know what to do. Well, most of the time at least. Jeff is the same way. We've come a long way since those days.

Seriously though, it would be nice to run against ya again.

PS -- Almost forgot, Scooby hasn't changed a bit. He is still labeled "StockGod". Hopefully he doesn't read this forum. He is normally lapped traffic.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #11713
Tech Champion

hey, did you read the PM I sent ya?
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 01-13-2005, 09:58 AM   #11714
Tech Elite

I just did... Pmed ya back too.

Thanks again!!!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #11715
Tech Master

Quote:
Tape is a very good idea, but sometimes I loose a heat or could not finish a heat because the tape gets eaten up under the chassis, I have made a very lightweight bat holder! Will post tom, forgot it in the ofice.

I do not have a weighing scale now but will do it tom and post it.
I will compare the weight of the CGM shocks against the TRF, RS towers and CGM towers.

Really excited about the rebuild of my CGM I finally found a Team Suzuki Rear hub!!!

Square made those bumper braces.
Those Suzuki rear hubs have to weight alot.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote