R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2004, 06:52 AM   #11416
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by kmorast
If I understand the SDW short arm discussion correctly. I will be able to install the short arms on my CGM by changing the suspension mounts and arms; is that correct?
I don't think they'll work on the CGM since it uses the split suspension mounts. They'll work on the SSG and Black special though.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 06:55 AM   #11417
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

matt......

what's the best choice......SSG or CGM kit??

I'll run mostly 19t class.....always at an indoor asphalt track, rubber tires only.....

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:00 AM   #11418

you could just put them straight on, but you will have a car with a narrow front end. i.e. 186mm instead of 190mm the worlds car has wider suspension mounts to move the arms out so that while being shorter in length the wheel hex is in the same position.

you might be able to adapt these arms to the ssg or rayspeed because they are flat chassis cars. the way that the cgm use the rearward forward hinge pin mounts they won't work, but now that i think about it, i guess i guy could make his own hinge pin mounts somehow and do it, so to answer your question, hell i don't know. lol
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:07 AM   #11419
Tech Regular

Trying to get the short arms on my CGM sounds like a good project. The biggest issue I have with my Yok is steering. I've done a lot of setup changes trying to get more and more steering out of it. The car is just rock solid on the track, easy to drive and fast. As yo stated earlyier Matt using the Ray Speed old front shock tower on the front and then running the shocks in the 3rd from the outside hole really helped the car rotate through the corner better.
kmorast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:07 AM   #11420
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by SalvadoriRacing
matt......

what's the best choice......SSG or CGM kit??

I'll run mostly 19t class.....always at an indoor asphalt track, rubber tires only.....
I personally think the CGM is a better car and a better deal since it includes all graphite components. You don't have to worry about chassis tweek with the CGM either.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 12-31-2004, 07:10 AM   #11421
Tech Champion

Quote:
Trying to get the short arms on my CGM sounds like a good project. The biggest issue I have with my Yok is steering. I've done a lot of setup changes trying to get more and more steering out of it. The car is just rock solid on the track, easy to drive and fast. As yo stated earlyier Matt using the Ray Speed old front shock tower on the front and then running the shocks in the 3rd from the outside hole really helped the car rotate through the corner better.
If you're looking for more steering then space your front arms all the way back and either run the rear arms in the middle for more off power steering or all the way back for more on power steering.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 12-31-2004, 07:12 AM   #11422
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

ok.....

and is there any hopup that is a must or the car will work at optimum performance as it comes from the factory????

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:14 AM   #11423
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by SalvadoriRacing
ok.....

and is there any hopup that is a must or the car will work at optimum performance as it comes from the factory????
I suggest the wide front bumper kit and the aluminum input shafts. Everything else is pretty much eye candy.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 12-31-2004, 07:15 AM   #11424
Tech Regular

I'm currently running the front arms all the way back and the rear arms all the way forward. I will move the rear arms back again and see how that feels. I was running 1.10mm spacers under the front portion of the rear suspension mount (anti squat) it really helped loosen the rear end up. The car works great, one of the best handling cars I've ever driven.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:17 AM   #11425
Tech Champion

Quote:
I'm currently running the front arms all the way back and the rear arms all the way forward. I will move the rear arms back again and see how that feels. I was running 1.10mm spacers under the front portion of the rear suspension mount (anti squat) it really helped loosen the rear end up. The car works great, one of the best handling cars I've ever driven.
another thing to try is putting spacers under the front outside camber link ball stud, try 1mm and go from there.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 12-31-2004, 07:18 AM   #11426
Tech Master

It all depends what you think you are going to achieve.

If you think that reducing the front track is going to improve things then the SDW arms fitted on everything else CGM will work. Alternatively you could make your own suspension mounts to give you whatever track you wish.

Conversely, fitting normal CGM arms on an SDW will give you a track wider than 190. Just depends what you want and what the regs will allow.

What I want to try next is the trailing front hubs. Theoretically they should improve straight line stability, but as they also lengthen the wheelbase slightly, you could end up with a less agile car round the twisty bits.

Always a question of swings and roundabouts !!!!!!

Happy New Year.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:21 AM   #11427
Tech Regular

Matt keep the suggestions coming; it will give me many more things to try.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:28 AM   #11428
Tech Champion

Quote:
Matt keep the suggestions coming; it will give me many more things to try.
stand the front and rear shocks more upright, if you're running the trailing steering blocks (they have a 1 molded in them) then try the inline steering blocks (they have a 0 on them). Different bodies will give more or less steering as well, try a protoform mazda 6 or a yokomo type E, they both have lots of steering.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 12-31-2004, 07:37 AM   #11429
Tech Regular

Standing the front shocks up really did help. I didn't noitice as big a change with the inline steering blocks but I always keep them handy just in case. I currently use a Protoform Alfa; everything I read about the Mazda 6 says it's not as good on carpet as asphalt. Most of my steering issues is on power. Would raising the rear inner camber link up to the top hole help on-power steering.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:44 AM   #11430
Tech Champion

Quote:
Standing the front shocks up really did help. I didn't noitice as big a change with the inline steering blocks but I always keep them handy just in case. I currently use a Protoform Alfa; everything I read about the Mazda 6 says it's not as good on carpet as asphalt. Most of my steering issues is on power. Would raising the rear inner camber link up to the top hole help on-power steering.
If the problem your having is with on power steering the first thing I would try is moving the rear arms all the way back. With them spaced forward like you have them now more weight is over the rear tires under acceleration.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361