R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-28-2004, 08:19 AM   #9841
Tech Champion

Ahhh.... this is the guy I'm looking. Do you know good RC stores located in melbourne ? Preferably the shops who are selling complete line up of yokomo and tamiya ? I'm going to melbourne in november for holidays.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:27 AM   #9842
Tech Elite

Who me?

I'm a Brit, so can't really advise about Melbourne!

Have a nice holiday
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:43 AM   #9843
Tech Champion

Not you... ... I mean mashimaro.

BTW good luck on 19T race !!! Hopefully this gear chart could help you or any1 here ( source: www. gearchart.com )

See attachment:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mr4tcsd gearchart.jpg (157.5 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by asw7576; 09-28-2004 at 08:53 AM.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:53 AM   #9844
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576
Not you... ... I mean mashimaro.

BTW good luck on 19T race !!! Hopefully this gear chart could help you or any1 here ( source: www. gearchart.com ) See attachment:
Heheh,

Thanks for the gear chart mate!

Regards

Horatio
Old 09-28-2004, 08:59 AM   #9845
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio

BTW I thought I'd mentioned about the motors and confirmed that I'd be racing 19t on the forum? You must have missed it.

Thanks for your kind offer anyway
Well I figured it out with your posts on this thread that you wouldn't buy them since you won't race them anymore But the last PM you sent me was closer to "we'll see how it goes"... no worries.

if you guys need some 27T stockers, LMK!

Later,
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:18 AM   #9846
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

mashimaro,

I think you've had both sides of the story... some say the car is just as robust or more than anything else on the market, others say it ain't... I guess the truth is in between!

Later,
Paul

PS: I have to admit though that the Axis WAS the most durable car I ever drove... plastic fantastic!

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:14 PM   #9847
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Well I figured it out with your posts on this thread that you wouldn't buy them since you won't race them anymore But the last PM you sent me was closer to "we'll see how it goes"... no worries.

if you guys need some 27T stockers, LMK!

Later,
Paul
I should have PM'd you again and been more specific. My apologies. I'll ask around - some of the guys are sticking with 27t motors, so they'll be interested. If so I'll PM you their email address.

Yeah, the Axis is a great little car. I have 4 lads - all showing an interest. The oldest has already won the District champs twice with a Tc3, now we have our 5 year old with the Axis - definitely champ material. (Unlike me ) They must get it from their mother!!

Keeping all these different cars raceworthy is a fulltime job.......but the Axis keeps going despite the hard knocks it gets with the youngsters! I've still got a Bosscat Works too - fully operational - looks like new, great indoor buggy!

Unlike the CGM, the SSG SD is not for inexperienced racers. It requires work and developing the car is not without it's fustrations along the way. The concept behind the car however is very good, as is the performance. For me the end result is well worth the effort - the start of this season has been very promising. I don't just want to win the championship - I want to win it with the Yok SD!! It may never happen, but I'll continue trying with my RS for as long as it takes.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:46 PM   #9848
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
The Yokomo SSG SD is definitely far weaker than most of it's competitors out of the box. Anyone who says otherwise is either deluded, or feels the need to mock other racer's driving abilities in order to inflate their own rather fragile egos.

I've been flamed on this thread in the past for saying so, but it makes no difference to the facts. Sure everyone who visits this thread on a regular basis loves the SD. But the truth remains that there's a small army of regular racers who couldn't improve their driving skills because their Yok was ALWAYS broke.

If you race on a Big open track, with really wide lanes and where the temps are always 25degrees +, you maybe forgiven for thinking that the SD is unbreakable. If however you have raced the Yok SSG SD indoors, with narrow lanes, solid track markings and the occasional 'lane jumper', you'll have found that the SD does indeed have it's weaknesses. Crikey - I've seen plenty of good, sponsored racers cursing their SD's fragile Arms, steering arms, c-hubs etc.

Definitely NOT a newbies car.

However, these kind of issues are history for me now, thanks largely to advice on this thread (despite the flames!!), I've changed to Yokomo's revised/improved G parts, team suzuki alloy, and many various other mods to make the car far better. Now I would say my car is durable enough. As a result of racing my RS Yok SD, my driving has become far more precise. I went the distance with the car and worked around the problems.

The SD is plenty fast and really easy to work on too. The cars design is very clever indeed. Oh, I forgot to mention that it is also one of the NICEST looking touring cars on the planet, too. The SD may not be the most popular car, but it's certainly one of the quickest in a competent racer's hands.
I agree. Can't wait to get the Extra heavy duty CGM suspension arms and then mine will be like a tank
Old 09-28-2004, 11:21 PM   #9849
Tech Adept

i think the best package is to have a CGM with the lightweight chassis but with a top deck from the SSG version, more stiff chassis, good for carpet, and with the graphite parts not as fragile for the suspension arms
mashimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:04 AM   #9850
Tech Master

The original SD SSG was delicate...........agreed.

The CGM is pretty well bullitt proof. Since I built my CGM with the correct graphite parts etc I have not had one breakage, though to be fair I have been ramming less walls too.

The greatest thing with the CGM is that it is so good straight out of the box, and even more important - it stays that way.

Every time I put this car on the track it is right.

Having built sold and raced cars for more years than I care to remember, I have to say that I have absolutely no complaints about this car.

Definately Yokomo's best ever.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:10 AM   #9851
Tech Regular

CGM is stiff enough and" heavy" enough, I don't think you need a top deck.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:19 AM   #9852
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by mashimaro
i think the best package is to have a CGM with the lightweight chassis but with a top deck from the SSG version, more stiff chassis, good for carpet, and with the graphite parts not as fragile for the suspension arms
How much lighter is the CGM lightened chassis as compared to the original chassis and how does it cost ?

Bryan
Old 09-29-2004, 02:03 AM   #9853
Tech Adept

I'm not too sure how much lighter, but don't expect too much lighter than the standard one as those extra holes will probably not save a lot of weight. As for price, no idea, don't live in US
mashimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:55 AM   #9854
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

tornado:
I think it's 12g's less.
Price : slightly more expensive than a normal CGM chassis.

edit:error.

Last edited by lee82gx; 09-29-2004 at 04:49 AM.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:57 AM   #9855
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
tornado:
I think it's 50g's less.
Price : slightly more expensive than a normal CGM chassis.
50g !! I've been told it was something like 5g or so and it is really mighty expensive per g saving. I'm really confused now...

Bryan