R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-27-2004, 09:45 AM   #9811
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
5th body post

Hey Guys,

just about to paint a Mazda6 for this weekend's national round... I'm wondering if anybody found a trick and inexpensive way to mount a 5th body post (front-center) that doesn't involve drilling the top plate... any suggestion?

Thanks,
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 01:46 PM   #9812
Tech Champion

you mean this mazda 6 ?

I took the color idea from Renault F1 : blue and yellow.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #9813
Tech Elite

Very nice job. I'm impressed anyway!
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:25 PM   #9814
Tech Elite

Default Re: 5th body post

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Hey Guys,

just about to paint a Mazda6 for this weekend's national round... I'm wondering if anybody found a trick and inexpensive way to mount a 5th body post (front-center) that doesn't involve drilling the top plate... any suggestion?

Thanks,
Paul
Use the body post meant for the MR-4 MT truggy (if you can find one) - that's what Masami et al are using. There is a single hole in the middle of the front shock tower for you to mount it to.

Think the part is ZS-016MF "MT Front Body Mount".
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:36 PM   #9815
Tech Champion

dude, I tell you this : you don't need the fifth post. Why ? Usually the chassis or suspension arms will be in wrecked before you could screw up the body post that's why I call this toy brokomo
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:40 PM   #9816
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576
dude, I tell you this : you don't need the fifth post. Why ? Usually the chassis or suspension arms will be in wrecked before you could screw up the body post that's why I call this toy brokomo
the fifth body post is to keep the middle of the body from compressing at high speeds, therefore increasing your overall downforce. If your racing mod on a big track it can be usefull, if your racing stock on a small track you probably don't need it.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:45 PM   #9817
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576
you mean this mazda 6 ?

I took the color idea from Renault F1 : blue and yellow.
Nice bodyshell but dude, you need to cut those wires they're waaaaaaaay too long...
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:48 PM   #9818
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200
Default Re: Re: 5th body post

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
Use the body post meant for the MR-4 MT truggy (if you can find one) - that's what Masami et al are using. There is a single hole in the middle of the front shock tower for you to mount it to.

Think the part is ZS-016MF "MT Front Body Mount".

If I'm not mistaken, he's got a rayspeed conversion kit on his car, that doesn't have a hole for the body post. And what if you're using a rear shock tower on the front (like me...) ?
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 02:46 AM   #9819
Tech Elite

Well that's the disadvantage of using aftermarket parts...
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 02:48 AM   #9820
tornado

I'm using Cuda's body post as my 5th post.

Bryan
Old 09-28-2004, 03:16 AM   #9821
Tech Elite

Hey guys,

thanks for the answers... I run a "normal" SSG-SD, but with the rear shock tower up front, so that means no extra hole unless I drill one, which it sounds like I will have to do anyway...

to aswwhatever: learn to drive or buy a TL-01, dude... are you the same guy bashing the yoke on other threads? if yes, you're wasting both your and other's time and bandwidth... you'd better spend some time practicing at the track in order to wreck less and break fewer parts. honestly the car is no weaker no stronger than other top-notch cars on the market. In a whole season (carptet mod, pac-man style tracks) I broke a shock tower, three A-arms, one C-hub and a few dogbones... it's in the average.

Later,
Paul

btw this mazda is "painted" with Orion stickies I can do that...

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:19 AM   #9822
Tech Elite

Hey Guys,

One more question... I got my hand on AE-style shock caps (the plastic ones with the bleed screws)... how do you folks use them? With bladders? Without? Any trick procedure to fill the shocks with them?

Thanks!
Paul

Old 09-28-2004, 03:43 AM   #9823
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Hey Guys,

One more question... I got my hand on AE-style shock caps (the plastic ones with the bleed screws)... how do you folks use them? With bladders? Without? Any trick procedure to fill the shocks with them?

Thanks!
Paul
they're meant to be used without bladders. To use them fill the shock all the way to the top with oil, with the little screw out of the cap put some oil in that as well then put it on the shock. slowly push the shock shaft all the way up to get rid of the air and extra oil in there. with the shaft all the way up install the little screw. I've tried both types back to back and I honestly can't tell a difference on the track, maybe Masami can, but I can't.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 09-28-2004, 03:50 AM   #9824
Tech Elite

Hi Matt

thanks for your answer... I didn't picke them up to be quicker than Masami but rather to ease the oil changes... I personnally feel the stock shock caps make oil changes a MAJOR PITA... I never get two similar shocks before 3 or 4 bleeding attemps, and even when they're symmetric there's always more rebound than I'd like... I think it's due to the membrane design.

Have you ever built Mugen (onroad) shocks? They're amazing... fill it up, screwi it on, it bleeds all by itself, every time, first time, you get 100% symmetric shocks... Maybe I should run Mugen dampers on my car

Thanks for the process info... will try them tomorrow!

Paul

Old 09-28-2004, 03:57 AM   #9825
Tech Champion

I know when Mo ran the SD he prefered the bleed caps just for that reason. I've never built any Mugen shocks but I have built HPI shocks and they sound the same, they bleed themselves.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361