R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-27-2004, 05:53 PM   #9571
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You will not get rid of it. It's common on spools. For example... take the wheels off the car. Pull the throttle and turn the wheels. The chatter goes away. Toss the wheels back on (with car stand underneath car). Pull the throttle and see if the chatter comes back...

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:30 PM   #9572
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Blakesrc

Kilruf,

so you are saying the chattering isnt really from binding, more from the wheel weight/balance and centrifical force?

Thanks,

Blake
Blakesrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #9573

my spool did the same exact thing. you won't notice it on the track, unless you have the wheels cranked full lock under power. then you will here chatter, but that is from one of the wheels/tire breaking loose.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:42 PM   #9574

matt, forgot to mention before, that one of our local racers also in the air force was shipped to korea about 6 months ago. not sure how many bases there are in korea but look for sgt. sprout. not sure of his mos either. you can find him also in the message forums under "northwest racing". think he just posted on the "results" thread.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:04 PM   #9575
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ritchie
matt, forgot to mention before, that one of our local racers also in the air force was shipped to korea about 6 months ago. not sure how many bases there are in korea but look for sgt. sprout. not sure of his mos either. you can find him also in the message forums under "northwest racing". think he just posted on the "results" thread.
Thanks a bunch, I found him and sent him a PM. There's only two Air Bases in S. Korea, Kunsan and Osan. I'm at Kunsan and Osan is the base up by Seoul
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:03 PM   #9576
Tech Elite

I was in Korea for 3 months (air force). But it's a staging base. It's in Kwang Ju. I took flights from Kwang Ju to Seoul for like $50 round trip. Oh man.. what an experience with this one trip though... ever seen that movie Plains, Trains, and Automobiles? haha... But that's tooo long of a story for here hehe. Korea can be a fun place haha.

Blake, I think this was discussed many dozens of pages back on this thread. The best thing to minimize this was to space the front arms all the way back to let the universals sit at an angle. This minimizes the universal angle for the outside wheel while turning (I'm thinking that was the wheel that would chatter, but not sure). Anyways.. then set your endpoints on your radio on the left side. Then the endpoints on your right. (both with dual rates set at 100%). Then turn down your dual rates a tad to get minimal chatter. I'm not sure.. but I'm thinking with out the wheels... there is no load on the cvd or universal. So you get no chatter. But once a load is present (the tire).... the chatter will be evident. Something like that.... I think my TC3 minimized it because it had IRS pin cushions. I wouldn't mind trying pin cushions on my SD.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 08-27-2004, 10:22 PM   #9577

matt, glad to be of help. now you will have someone to sit on the bus with. lol.
kilruf, yep and yep.
just bought some shoey pin cushions today, now for some filing
Old 08-27-2004, 11:33 PM   #9578
Tech Addict

Kilruf, is a pin cushon the rubber piece that you can put on the axle where it enters the drive cup? Does it seems to help a lot? I might either machine a new spool with a larger opening where the drive pins hit the cup or maybe machine out a little extra room on the speedtech one if it helps. Please let me know.

THanks,

Blake
Old 08-27-2004, 11:54 PM   #9579
Tech Elite

Actually, I'm starting to think the chatter discussion was on the 415 thread... Hard to keep up with which car I'm talking about haha.. But I also have it with the SD and do the same things to lessen it.

Pin cushions are plastic sleeves that slide over the pins at the end of a dog bone. IRS makes them for the TC3. If you only race stock class... it's possible to push the steel pin out of the bone and insert a piece of plastic in it's place. Mainly Weed Eatter cord. But it won't hold up in Mod. Only thing though... You'll need a special anvil and pin tool for this or you could risk damage to the bone. Niftech sells these. I haven't done it personally. But it's been done at the track.

Don't go doin all this and expecting it to cure everything. It may not do much at all if not done perfectly. Let us know if you do though... I'll be doin this with my Evo IV and TC3/IRS dogbones...

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 08-28-2004, 10:54 PM   #9580
Tech Master

Wink A wide CGM bumper for free.....

This may not be a new idea in the thread but here goes......

As you know the CGM bumper has 3 inserts that are (as I like to call them) diamond shaped, that need to be popped out.

What you do is take the side inserts and hold their shorter end against the side of the bumper (near the tip)....(so the outer edge of the longer end follows the main curve of the bumper) and carefully scribe where a notch should be if this part was to slot in.

Then cut out the notch and glue in the insert that you have popped from the centre of the bumper. You should find the the outer curve of the bumper stays pretty much the same and the bumper ends up being approx 1 cm wider on either end.

Well ok it works for me.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 08-28-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:24 AM   #9581
Tech Master

If you can find them the Corally Assassin drive shaft caps fit straight onto the Yoke SD drive shafts.

I have had them on the front of my SD with alloy spool for six or so months and have not had any problems or wear, and this using 8 turn motors.

Slide a bit of shrink tube over the ends of the diff outputs to keep everything located well.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:18 AM   #9582
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
A wide CGM bumper for free.....
Now you tell me....

Actually... I modified a BRP TC3 Front bumper, Rear bumper and nerf wings to fit my CGM...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 05:35 PM   #9583
Tech Addict

Johnbull,

Thanks for the tip, im going to either get ahold of some of them or make something myself. I ran the spool today and it worked great. I used my standard diff setup and all i changed was I went from a droop of 3 in the back to 6, made the car turn in nicely. Im not really sure if the spool gave an advantage on the layout we had though, it was a bit tight on the infield. I still had some SERIOUS wheel chatter with the tires on, i could even hear it on the track when i was turning at near lock. On the car stand i could only turn the wheels about 1/3 and they would start chattering a vibrating badly, i just dealt with it for today. I am using the square titanium axles and driveshafts, maybe another shaft and axle combo would work better?

Blake
Old 08-29-2004, 10:27 PM   #9584
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here are some pictures of the Worlds Warm-Up Race. Masami and Easton's cars.
www.fseara.org/gallery/album38/DSC_7724
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:00 AM   #9585
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by pops
Here are some pictures of the Worlds Warm-Up Race. Masami and Easton's cars.
www.fseara.org/gallery/album38/DSC_7724

POPS

Awesome link bro, THANX

- JaYbEe

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote