R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-19-2004, 07:24 PM   #9466
Tech Adept

Hi guys I've been lurking in the shadows reading this thread and its taken me a while with all 310+ pages. I bought a CGM to replace my Evo 3 Surikarn and its probably the best decision I made.

A few observations:

1 The cgm is a bit on the porky side. Mine wieghs in at 1602grams compared to 1525 for my evo 3. The funny thing is the cgm feels lighter on the track then my evo 3 did. Its faster too with the same equipment.

2 Its tough. So far the car has seen 8 weeks of tuesday night racing. Nothing has broken. the diffs are still quiet, and havent got loose like the evo 3. With the evo 3 I was pulling the car apart to check diffs after each night of racing. All the yoke gets is me pull carpet fuzz out of the shock shafts and universals.

3 Easy to drive. The car also roll a lot further off throttle compared to the evo 3

4 Easy on tires. Threw a set of old type A tamiya tires that had seen a year of racing and were unusable on the evo 3. With these tires the CGM sticks to the carpet like puke to a baby's blanket.

Aside from RPM ball cups and set of rcscrewz my car is bone stock. At this point I am looking at getting a lightwieght drive shaft for the car. Here's a pic of my car before rc screwz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yoke2.jpg (22.0 KB, 136 views)
jiggen5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:23 PM   #9467
tornado

Hi guys !

You're right on the spot John ! it was the spur gear all along. gosh...glad that my 2 months agony is OVER ! the moment that Kimbrough spur was installed I had a good feeling 'bout it 'cos it is running pretty true with very very little wobble and after a test lap the car was running on whisper mode ! Now ! that is what I call a car!

I'm gona get rid of all my spare Xenon and Kawada spurs at half the price !

Thanks guys. You've been most helpful !

Bryan
Old 08-19-2004, 08:27 PM   #9468
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by jiggen5354
Hi guys I've been lurking in the shadows reading this thread and its taken me a while with all 310+ pages. I bought a CGM to replace my Evo 3 Surikarn and its probably the best decision I made.

A few observations:

1 The cgm is a bit on the porky side. Mine wieghs in at 1602grams compared to 1525 for my evo 3. The funny thing is the cgm feels lighter on the track then my evo 3 did. Its faster too with the same equipment.

2 Its tough. So far the car has seen 8 weeks of tuesday night racing. Nothing has broken. the diffs are still quiet, and havent got loose like the evo 3. With the evo 3 I was pulling the car apart to check diffs after each night of racing. All the yoke gets is me pull carpet fuzz out of the shock shafts and universals.

3 Easy to drive. The car also roll a lot further off throttle compared to the evo 3

4 Easy on tires. Threw a set of old type A tamiya tires that had seen a year of racing and were unusable on the evo 3. With these tires the CGM sticks to the carpet like puke to a baby's blanket.

Aside from RPM ball cups and set of rcscrewz my car is bone stock. At this point I am looking at getting a lightwieght drive shaft for the car. Here's a pic of my car before rc screwz
Welcome to the club man! CGM is great ! Though being on the heavier side but I could still gain 'bout half to one car length upon entering the first corner after the straight Exciting isn't it ?

Bryan
Old 08-19-2004, 08:31 PM   #9469
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

May I add that I also use Corally spurs and am 100% happy with them? Actually I've been using the same 78 spur for almost a whole season now... and not a single chewed up tooth. I also use Robinson lightened pinions (which seem to be Aluminum).

I was really amazed how quite the car was yesterday, although much less under braking than acceleration... I guess I should use blades on the rear bones too! I know this has been asked already, but has anybody got the part number for Corally blades?

Thanks!
Pau
Yeah ! Robinson pinions are bloody tough. Can't find Corally stuff in Malaysia . Anyway I'm jolly happy now to lay my hands on Kimbrough and Robinson. Only one lhs in town has them...and its hell of a far from my office and home but the trouble to get there was worth it ! Bye bye noisy gears.

Bryan
Old 08-19-2004, 08:51 PM   #9470
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
Welcome to the club man! CGM is great ! Though being on the heavier side but I could still gain 'bout half to one car length upon entering the first corner after the straight Exciting isn't it ?

Bryan
The only time I notice the extra wieght is on the scales and when I get hacked. The yoke very rarely comes off second best

The extra punch out of the corners is a big plus too.
jiggen5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #9471
tornado

wait till you lightened the output shaft and the prop shaft...the punch is a knock out

Bryan
Old 08-19-2004, 09:25 PM   #9472
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
Hi guys !

You're right on the spot John ! it was the spur gear all along. gosh...glad that my 2 months agony is OVER ! the moment that Kimbrough spur was installed I had a good feeling 'bout it 'cos it is running pretty true with very very little wobble and after a test lap the car was running on whisper mode ! Now ! that is what I call a car!

I'm gona get rid of all my spare Xenon and Kawada spurs at half the price !

Thanks guys. You've been most helpful !

Bryan
I'm not so sure you should blame the Xenon spur gears. I've found them to be really good and running very true. Most of the time the noise will come from picking something up from the track and nicking a pinion. The pinion will then nick the spur. This will make the most noise. I'm not really sure but most of the noise will come from the pinion causing damage to the spur? Has anybody else found this to be true? Having no problems running Xenon Gear with Yokomo pinions. Have gotton some noise from the Titanium pinions though.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:26 PM   #9473
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by jiggen5354
The only time I notice the extra wieght is on the scales and when I get hacked. The yoke very rarely comes off second best

The extra punch out of the corners is a big plus too.
Yeah, the extra weight makes it a littler harder to get pushed around!
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #9474
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by pops
I'm not so sure you should blame the Xenon spur gears. I've found them to be really good and running very true. Most of the time the noise will come from picking something up from the track and nicking a pinion. The pinion will then nick the spur. This will make the most noise. I'm not really sure but most of the noise will come from the pinion causing damage to the spur? Has anybody else found this to be true? Having no problems running Xenon Gear with Yokomo pinions. Have gotton some noise from the Titanium pinions though.
Thats what I've been using all along.....and fyi...yokomo spurs are manufactured by Xenon... I've changed more than half a dozen of spurs and they wobble even when new...changed the spur holder....it wobbles......anyway I've ran them for about two months.....when my brother reminded me of my favourite spurs...Kimbrough, Trinity and Robinson..... bingo !

Bryan
Old 08-19-2004, 10:15 PM   #9475
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Tonight my car was perfectly hooked. At the end of the night two things changed. The humidity increased, and I went from 8.5 droop in the front to 7 off of the arm. I dont know what happen but the ass end wanted to swing out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-20-2004, 01:54 AM   #9476
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Midnight
Tonight my car was perfectly hooked. At the end of the night two things changed. The humidity increased, and I went from 8.5 droop in the front to 7 off of the arm. I dont know what happen but the ass end wanted to swing out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
I think you have told us the answer yourself. If you increased the amount of front droop only, you have probably upset the balance.

More droop - lower figures = more grip. You have increased the front grip in relation to the rear. I suspect that's your problem.

MORE CGM FUN.

I spent an evening at the track yesterday and it was a pleasure again. This car is so brilliant, and believe me I've driven them all at some stage. I just haven't got enough words of praise for it.

The guys I was racing with are young - in their 20s - and extremely good, and I am old and not so good - lousy eyes and slow reflexes - understandable at my age. Yet that car was a match everywhere, even on softer motors.

I did my first run on a very old set of tyres just to see that the car was OK. I need not have bothered. Result 17.5 laps and a best lap in 17.2, which is about normal, on a good day. My next run with a newish set of tyres but everything else the same got me into 18 laps - first time ever - with a best lap in 16.8.

And yes, as somebody said earlier, you just don't notice the extra weight on the track.

I'm going to make it a point to go down again this evening, and this time I'm going to run some REAL motors.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:44 AM   #9477
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnbull

I spent an evening at the track yesterday and it was a pleasure again. This car is so brilliant, and believe me I've driven them all at some stage. I just haven't got enough words of praise for it.

And yes, as somebody said earlier, you just don't notice the extra weight on the track.

I think for my next car, I'm gonna get me one of these CGM's baby!
Yo johnbull, being 32, do I count as being a young guy

- jaybee

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:06 AM   #9478
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee

Yo johnbull, being 32, do I count as being a young guy

- jaybee
MOST DEFINATELY..........Lucky guy. Wish I was still 32.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:40 AM   #9479
Tech Regular

the only problem with being 15 is that you cant afford anything
agower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #9480
Tech Master

Quick shock questions......

Just putting them together and all is going good but just wondering is it.....

Normal for the adjusting nut to be halfway down the shock body before it even makes contact with the spring?

For the cap nut to not fully screw up against the shock body with the cap end, sponge and diaphragm in place?

For the shock shaft to extend out fully on its own when the shock is full of oil with no spring on?
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote