R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2004, 01:45 AM   #9376
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrub
Front: 80wt, #2 piston, Yellow spring. Rear: 60wt, #2 piston and a Purple spring. (??)
wow, stiff stuff!

Jim: yeas that's a situation I was sad about a few pages ago... it's a great car but no one runs it anymore. I just hope Billy Easton and Masami have it kick butt soon enough, or I will have worries about the SD as a going concern... RS is stiffer than SSG, but CGM is even more, but 100gms heavier. To use longer (AE) springs you need the full AE shock ends (not just the spring cups), or The Rayspeed ones (which are beautiful, and not that expensive).

By the way, has anyone tried using ballcups as shock ends, to avoid the screw head hitting the front spindle when using the 3rd hole on the front A-arm?

I run mostly rubber on carpet, and the SSG is perfect for me, when stiffened a bit (countersunk scews on top plate, without countersinking holes). Welcome to this thread!

Just got all my graphite components in the mail from R10 this morning (A-arms, tranny cases, C-hubs, front and rear hub carriers)... This stuff is far more rigid than the standard plastic parts!

Paul

Later
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:15 AM   #9377
Tech Master

Paul.

I have just put everything on a CGM chassis and can't believe the difference.

Definately worth the change.

Just one problem. It really is very heavy - 1580 grams and I really don't know where to start.

Regards

Joe.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:22 AM   #9378
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Paul.

I have just put everything on a CGM chassis and can't believe the difference.

Definately worth the change.

Just one problem. It really is very heavy - 1580 grams and I really don't know where to start.

Regards

Joe.
Same here......I'm already running 1580 grams without transponder.... ...... using lightened axels, dogbone, center shaft, Rayspeed rear shock tower, Ti screws, aluminium nuts, GM V12 esc, lightened motor cam...aaaahhhhhh! its endless and still 1580 grams... but hell..the handling is spot on....wot the hack. Let us all know if you have more weight trimming program to add on.

Bryan
Old 08-13-2004, 02:33 AM   #9379
Tech Elite

weight sure is an issue indeed... that's why I finally bought all the graphite parts to hop-up my SSG rather than a full CGM kit, which I knew I would not run anyway (psychological stuff, yannow )

Will let you know how lap times evolve, actually with rubbers it shouldn't be very different... just wanted to try it anyway

Later
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:55 AM   #9380
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Some pictures of a mates car that he has recently hopped up a fair bit

Old 08-13-2004, 05:18 AM   #9381
Tech Master

Can anyone please lead me to some recent pictures of Masami's CGM.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:26 AM   #9382
Tech Elite

pheyhoe: cool car... I'm sketptical about these Aluminum body posts which are too good-looking to cut them at the right length... so they must stick out quite a bit out off the body

cool looking car anyway Does he run rally with these tires?

Later
Paul

Old 08-13-2004, 06:19 AM   #9383
Tech Elite

Those mini pin tyres generate awesome grip on carpet for touring car racing. Unfortunately, they wear down really fast too which is why most UK clubs run control tyre rules for carpet racing - to effectively outlaw their use and keep costs to sensible levels.

Also when grip levels are deliberately kept below a certain level, it reduces the advantages gained by having super cells, motors and ESC's - everyone has a fair bite at the cherry, even those running budget items. It puts the emphasis back on driver skill and car setup.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:22 AM   #9384
Tech Elite

this must probably generate more grip than foams! And I guess the pins wear fast...

Thanks for enlightening me!

Later
Paul

Old 08-13-2004, 07:17 AM   #9385
Tech Elite

I would guess that pheyhoe's mate is racing on a slippy floor.

Minipins wear carpet tracks out, which is why clubs tend to ban them.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:51 AM   #9386
Tech Regular

Anyone try the light weight CGM chassis, how much lighter compares to standard CGM chassis.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:57 AM   #9387
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
I would guess that pheyhoe's mate is racing on a slippy floor.

Minipins wear carpet tracks out, which is why clubs tend to ban them.
Yer he does
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:42 AM   #9388
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by caveman
Anyone try the light weight CGM chassis, how much lighter compares to standard CGM chassis.
The lightweight chassis is only about 10 grams lighter.

Not really worth the bother.

I have now got mine down to 1560 grams but still need to shed another 40 grams. Problem is I just don't know what else to lighten.

Anyone got any pics of Masami's car without the front chassis brace ?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:09 PM   #9389
Tech Regular

hi.

in the kit you know the fornt piviot block. (kick up clock) marked as f1 wel does the kit come with a bloack with 0 degree kick up maybe labelled f0?

if not can you buy them and any part numbers?
agower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:16 PM   #9390
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
..Minipins wear carpet tracks out, which is why clubs tend to ban them.
I suppose that's a very valid additional reason - however alot of clubs allow buggy classes where mini spikes are pretty much the only option. I imagine this doesn't do the carpets much good either.

From the AGMs I've been too, the general consensus and the reason why most clubs choose to use control tyre rules for TC carpet racing (whilst buggy classes remain open) is because it reduces the typical club racers tyre costs, reduces grip levels and so therefore levels the playing field. The downside is that the buggy classes remain open, so therefore a prohibitively high cost form of racing indoors, which probably explains why the buggy entries are so much lower than the TCs.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote