R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-30-2004, 04:06 AM   #9106
Tech Elite

Being an ultra stiff WCF Tub (see the fibrelyte website), I don't see how it could tweak to be honest.

The ones I've seen on the track looked very good indeed - both in terms of performance and aesthetics.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:21 AM   #9107
Tech Elite

Here's a pic to refresh everyone's memory!

Damn it's nice.......

Old 07-30-2004, 04:40 AM   #9108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
Here's a pic to refresh everyone's memory!

Damn it's nice.......

cha-wing!!! I think I'm in love...

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:41 AM   #9109
Tech Elite

anyone one the CGM Vs SSG steering slop?

agower: yup. throw the center plate away, and use countersunk screws on the top deck without countersinking it.

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:09 AM   #9110
Tech Elite

I'd heard stuff about counter sunk screws into non- counter sunk holes helping to reduce tweaking issues.

However - when tightening the the counter sunk screws up, doesn't it damage the the laminates in the CF top deck around the holes?

With my counter sunk top deck on the RS I've had no tweaking issues to date - but to be fair I'm not one for whacking the car either. Must try harder perhaps....
Old 07-30-2004, 05:14 AM   #9111

great looking car. but you guys are saying that its extra stiff so can i assume its no good for parking lots??
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:44 AM   #9112
Tech Elite

There's no reason why a stiff car cannot be set-up to handle well on tarmac surfaces or other lower traction surfaces. It just means that the car is far more responsive to any changes that are made to it's suspension and geometry etc.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:55 AM   #9113
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
However - when tightening the the counter sunk screws up, doesn't it damage the the laminates in the CF top deck around the holes?
Of course it does, it crushes the woven Al layer where there's a contact. And that's why it works, because the top plate cannot wiggle around any more. The car still twists a bit by hand, but there's no more "room" around the screw for it to memorize tweak. It's logical, mechanical, and it works. I've done it for around 6 mths now, and I don't even put the car on the tweak boards any more because I know it's straight. believe me, it makes the SSG SD a much user-friendlier car...

Now, the RS top deck might be better, I don't know... but on the SSG car this trick is a must IMHO.

ritchie: stiffer is better, always, but that's when you can set-up a car... if you're like most of us and not a setup wiz, a slightly flex-prone car is more forgiving on low-grip tracks when it's not 100% properly set-up.

Later,
Paul

Old 07-30-2004, 06:41 AM   #9114
Tech Elite

Right, I'm with you. On the SSG, the button head screws used on the top deck did seem to hold tweak. I'm certain the edges would dig in and NOT self centre like with counter-sunk crews.

I remember grabbing my ssg and twisting it firmly by hand - you could literally hear it 'creak' and then visibly stay slightly twisted. Then you could twist it the other way till 'it looked about right' - the other racers used to laugh til they cried!

Of course, a nice flat surface and a quick going over with all the hex screws and the car is 'properly straight' again, but as has been said - it's quite off-putting during a race if the car decides to 'do the twist'
Old 07-30-2004, 07:39 AM   #9115
Tech Elite

oooooooh let's twist again... hahaha

yeah, the tweak is memorized because there's enough room around the top deck screw threads for it to be memorized... with countersunk screws you can't actually make the top deck go "crrrraaaack" any more, because that extra space is gone due to the conicity of the screw heads...

Actually, now that I think about it, I will try to hook the center plate back on, with countersunk screws too... that could be the real ticket to a rigid, light, tweakless car...

later
Paul

Old 07-30-2004, 07:58 AM   #9116
Tech Elite

Good idea! It might help - I haven't heard of anyone else trying it. Could be a nifty first!!!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:01 AM   #9117
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I had a huge problem with the tweaking issue. If I bumped a rail it would drive down the straight stretch like the rear end was trying to past the front. What I did was took the spacers out from between the center stiffner, and mounted it directly to the main chassis, use counter sunk screws on the upper deck, and I also use counter sunk screws on the front and rear shock tower. Some one stated earlier that if they twisted the car it would make a cracking noise, my car use to do that but now it does not make a sound. Here is the true test. I sold my old ssg to a beginner. This guys first race, he hit everything rail on the track. We have a 155 foot straight away and he hit the end of it wide open. This went on for all three heats and after every heat we pulled it off and put it on the laser tweak board and it didnt fade it.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #9118
Tech Regular

the top deck on ssg is so flexy you can actualy push it down until it touches the centre shaft! i take it mosty of your people race on carpet? as i race on high grip tarmac and the ssg drives well but doesnt react very fast between the tight turns which is why i wanted a slightly stiffer car, so i decied to go for the rayspeed. also bmi chassis were made for carpet, if im not wrong but every1 that has a tc3 now runs the bmi tc3 chassis and some people with pro4s run the bmi pro4 chassis aswell and they handle very well. so yes a stiff car can go very well on tarmac but just takes abit of setting up.

2 little questions:
can the blue alumiunm lightweight low friction driveshfats for the mr4tc part numbers zs010ft and zs010rt be used on the sd as the steel mr4tc ones have the same part numbers as the sd?

also what other parts from the mr4tc fit the sd as i have trouble getting hold of sd upgrades but can get the mr4tc ones quite easily.

many thanks
A Gower

Last edited by agower; 07-30-2004 at 09:11 AM.
agower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 01:06 PM   #9119
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes, the yokomo aluminum driveshafts will fit on the SD, I run them on the rear of my car. The only parts that carried over from the old car to the SD are the shocks.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 01:13 PM   #9120
Tech Master

Matt: I read in RC Car Action (ha!) that the suspension componants were carried over from previous versions of the MR-4TC.....Is that just an error on their part or is there any truth to that?
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote