R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-01-2004, 11:05 PM   #8806
Tech Adept

Hi, New Yokomo CGM Onwer here.
I bought used one and it looks great.
But I need your help.
Where can I get parts online ? (none of LHS carries parts)
Who has good price?
where can i get Differential for front?
I also noticed Rear Differential output is Plastic
Would this hold up to my 6t Brushless?
where can I get steel one?
I'll appreciate any input.
dragoneuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 12:20 AM   #8807
Tech Master

Where shall we begin,

http://www.speedtechrc.com
http://www.kthobbies.com

Two good site for getting parts and hop-ups...

Anyone else got any good sites?
rc_bam226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 12:29 AM   #8808
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kraig
Paul, KT Hobbies is owned by myself, Kraig O'Brien. Just wanted to clear up any confusion.
thanks for clarifying that. I was completely wrong then!

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 12:37 AM   #8809
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ran the car yesterday.... It looked that it had no droop left up front... I guess I had been trying too hard to get onpower steering already! So I put like 2mm of droops, and I stiffened the rear (I ran RS greys rear, and yellow fronts). The car was close to before (with RS whites in the back). I then tried to go back to soft springs on the advice of a buddy of mine who said it should work... the car would roll too much. Then I tried medium springs again (RS whites and yellows) but stiffer up front... I dialed in more dual rate to compensate, a little rear camber, and then the car was awsome, it was easy and I could brutalize it if needed, but with enough steering on and off power to be quick... got very close to my personal record (I was at 11.2), which was obtained in different conditions (track was soaked with tire sauce).

I'm very happy with the car!

Next step: go to stiffer hydraulics (running 3holes 40WT all around so far). This is still my 17T setup, so it's probably a little light for 12T...

Later,
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 01:13 AM   #8810
Tech Master

Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

BALL CUPS. Get a set of Schumacher Ball Grippas. They are a much tighter and better fit all round.

ACKERMAN. The reason you get more steering with more ackerman is because by introducing ackerman your front wheels track better around a corner. With no ackerman at all, if you turn full left your front wheels would run parallel. However the inner wheel needs to turn in a smaller radius so it will drag, causing understeer.

Add some ackerman so that your inside wheel turns slightly more than your outside wheel, thus they both track their own radius and that should help the car steer better.

There are lots of ways of playing with ackerman. Rayspeed have done it by moving the steering pivots further back. You can also do it by varying the length of the steering arms.

A bit of front ackerman also looks after your front tyres better for they don't scrub so much.

DRAGONEAU. The plastic diffs are perfectly OK. I don't think I have ever broken one in years. Don't take the rings off them though. If you really insist on metal diffs then go for the MX4 ones, but it shouldn't be necessary.

SHOCK SHAFTS. Sosidge beat me to it. The AE shock shafts are an imperial size, the Yoke ones are metric, so if you fit AE ones on Yoke shocks they will be tight and conversely if you fit Yoke shafts on AE shocks they will leak.

Sermon complete.

Oh by the way, any developements on the Billy Easton to Yoke saga?

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 01:36 AM   #8811

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

There are lots of ways of playing with ackerman. Rayspeed have done it by moving the steering pivots further back. You can also do it by varying the length of the steering arms.

A bit of front ackerman also looks after your front tyres better for they don't scrub so much.
Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
If varying the length of the steering arms, wouldn't that change the toe of the front tire???

I have my front toe set at neutral( 0 Deg) now, and if I want more ackermen then setting will this change my front toe??

I'm confuse..
TheNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 01:39 AM   #8812
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull

DRAGONEAU. The plastic diffs are perfectly OK. I don't think I have ever broken one in years. Don't take the rings off them though. If you really insist on metal diffs then go for the MX4 ones, but it shouldn't be necessary.
MX4 ? Care to clarify? photo maybe huh.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:43 AM   #8813
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by TheNoi
If varying the length of the steering arms, wouldn't that change the toe of the front tire???

I have my front toe set at neutral( 0 Deg) now, and if I want more ackermen then setting will this change my front toe??

I'm confuse..
The ackermann adjustment is seperate to the toe.

When you change the ackermann, you reset the toe to suit.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 01:48 AM   #8814
Tech Master

SOSIDGE.

Beat me to it again !
Old 07-02-2004, 06:11 AM   #8815

Default Ackerman setting...

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
The ackermann adjustment is seperate to the toe.

When you change the ackermann, you reset the toe to suit.
Thanks Sosidge....

OK If I understand this correctly, I can alter the length of the steering arm( this is the part that connect to the servo saver, right??) and then adjust the steering that connects to the steering hub to get the correct toe.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and have you change the ackerman before?? Please let me know which if best, for a tight track??

Thanks for your help again.
TheNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:18 AM   #8816
Tech Master

THE NOI.

At the risk of being repetitive, ackerman only alters the relationship of the inside wheel's radius to that of the outside wheel. The steering arms we are referring to are the arms from the steering posts to the hubs. Those are the ones you adjust to get your toe in correct.

The rod which connects the two steering posts can be shortened or lengthened to give you different ackerman too. Hubs with different steering lugs can also vary the ackerman. There are plenty of ways to do it.

The important thing is that your inside wheel turns through a smaller radius than your outside wheel. You can check that very easily.

Hope it's a bit clearer now.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:18 AM   #8817
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
MX4 ? Care to clarify? photo maybe huh.
the MX4 is Yok's 4wd buggy that was pretty darn good a while ago. I still have 2 of them.

Tim
Old 07-02-2004, 08:19 AM   #8818
Tech Elite

Default Re: Ackerman setting...

Quote:
Originally posted by TheNoi

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and have you change the ackerman before?? Please let me know which if best, for a tight track??

As Johnbull said, there are many ways of increasing akerman. I noticed you said that you run 0 degrees toe at the front. If you are merely experimenting and trying things out, why not try 2 degrees toe out on the front and see if you like that. In effect this is a cheat's way to get a little more akerman angle. If you prefer it mess about by increasing actual akerman angle and try running 0 or 1 degree toe out.

Running less akerman can actually make the steering feel more agressive. With the right akerman angle - somehow the steering feels more progressive and as a bonus, you get less tyre wear.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:58 AM   #8819

Quote:
Originally posted by ritchie
from what i was told on my 4wd off road yok, if you widen the space between the bell cranks, it will give you more ackerman. which i think is more steering, what type, i don't know, i didn't like it in the dirt, but i plan on playing with it on pavement.

btw this is ryan isn't it, what day you going to portland. and which surface around here would you say is closest to portlands.
Nope, this is Sam (Forbes). I think I'm heading down to Nats the Wednesday before. I couldn't say which surface is closest because I've only raced at Hobbytown (race run by Rain City). What I can tell you is that the Portland track seemed much more abrasive, we were only getting about 4 runs on a set of tires, maybe only 2 good runs. The track was small too, but maybe it'll be bigger for Nats. BTW: Is Ryan running the Yok now? I thought he was running the Xray.

JohnBull: Thanks for the info, your explanation makes sense.
__ __
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:05 PM   #8820

oh ok. i remember now, actually korey told me once but i forgot. not sure what ryan is runnng, sounds like portland is similar to eslsroc surface, i've never had so much traction from a parking lot, even more then stans home depot races. i'll be down on thursday with most of the old farts from FW to run masters class. i've been running the cgm for a couple of weeks now and love it.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote