R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2004, 05:42 PM   #8626
Tech Adept

Cool, anyone know where I can get a base set-up for foam carpet? Thanks!!
Shrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 06:14 PM   #8627

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrub
Cool, anyone know where I can get a base set-up for foam carpet? Thanks!!
You can look at Tosolini's setup at www.yokomousa.com
He did a lot of custom work on his suspension, but lists it all on the setup sheet.
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 06:23 PM   #8628

Default Re: Should I?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich_p
I currently run a HPI Pro4 but also have a mint xxx-s G+ sitting on the shelf unused, I have the opperunity to swap the Losi for a
2 meeting old SD-CGM.

Should I go for it? Whats the CGM really like, is it easy to find a good set up etc?
I think that all depends on how you plan to run the car. I've heard and seen that the Losi is very fast on carpet with foam tires, but is harder to setup on pavement with rubber tires (compared to other cars).
To be honest, I had trouble setting the CGM up on carpet w/ foams, partly because I'm one of only two people running the car at our home track. But on asphalt, setup wasn't nearly as challenging.
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:04 PM   #8629
Tech Adept

I bought a Yoke CGM used. Gonna try to make it work on carpet (Tossi's Carp/Nat setup looks very challenging to achieve). I been looking at my Yoke for the past few days, I cant understand why everyone isn't running this car (the reality is just the opposite?), I mean...It looks like a much improved TC3, The lightweight chassis looks like a work of art! Better diff's, better diff access. Easier to adjust (you can actually get to the droop screws, LOL) way more tuning options (shock towers), better shocks etc. Seems a bit heavy, nothing I cant fix. This should be the car to beat, I hope I don't learn the hard way...
Old 06-24-2004, 07:45 PM   #8630
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrub
I bought a Yoke CGM used. Gonna try to make it work on carpet (Tossi's Carp/Nat setup looks very challenging to achieve). I been looking at my Yoke for the past few days, I cant understand why everyone isn't running this car (the reality is just the opposite?), I mean...It looks like a much improved TC3, The lightweight chassis looks like a work of art! Better diff's, better diff access. Easier to adjust (you can actually get to the droop screws, LOL) way more tuning options (shock towers), better shocks etc. Seems a bit heavy, nothing I cant fix. This should be the car to beat, I hope I don't learn the hard way...
The CGM is a very nice car. I've got mine hooked up on asphalt, rubber carpet, and foam carpet. There's not too many cars that can be good on all surfaces like that. I think the thing is, is that Yokomo doesn't sponsor all that many pro drivers in the states, There's Tosolini and that's about it. How many pro drivers can you name off for AE, Losi, or Xray? lots. They could get more pro drivers but then the cost of the kits and such would go up.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:57 PM   #8631

matt, i've been looking at the setups on the yok site, and have downloaded yours. the question i have is how would you describe your driving style, over the years with other cars i have had the local "fast" guys drive my cars and help with setup, problem is thier setups never really felt right to me so i'm assuming its my driving style. i.e. i've tried the solid diff, one way but always end up back with the diff. i'm going to nats in portland as it is only a few hours away. if your going maybe we can talk and you can watch me drive and let me know what you think.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:51 PM   #8632
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by ritchie
matt, i've been looking at the setups on the yok site, and have downloaded yours. the question i have is how would you describe your driving style, over the years with other cars i have had the local "fast" guys drive my cars and help with setup, problem is thier setups never really felt right to me so i'm assuming its my driving style. i.e. i've tried the solid diff, one way but always end up back with the diff. i'm going to nats in portland as it is only a few hours away. if your going maybe we can talk and you can watch me drive and let me know what you think.
I probably would describe my driving style as smooth, I personally prefer a car that pushes alittle so it's easier to drive and take the same line over and over. Unfortunatly I won't be attending any more races in the states at least for another year, I'm leaving for Korea (I'm in the airforce) in about a month. Good luck at the nats
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 06-24-2004, 08:57 PM   #8633
Tech Adept

Good luck in the Air-Force...
Old 06-24-2004, 09:04 PM   #8634
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Shrub-The car is a great carpet foam car. I have someone working with me on my car now. I think that the car is going to be wicked fast this year and you will see a few more of them around. I am doing some mods to the car and they are still being tested. The only question is if it will be this good in high bite. Try and get your car close to Chris's carpet nats set-up. You don't have to mill the arms or the rear blocks and it will put you in the ballpark.

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:20 PM   #8635
Tech Regular

Hey guys sorry my website hasnt been updated in a while. I had problems with the server. I fixed the problem and I will update it and add some new setups like matts. It should be updated fully by the weekend. http://www.yokomo.tk
shortygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:21 PM   #8636

thanks for the reply, thats kinda how i try to drive, slow and steady but good clean lines. good luck in korea. and thanks for all your posts on here.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:22 PM   #8637
Tech Adept

Thanks Brian L!! Keep us posted on the mods! Gonna start working on mine this weekend...I will post a pic when its done (3-4 weeks)....Steve.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:42 PM   #8638
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Unhappy

I just got the cgm conversion built. I am having a problem installing the servo mount.

Problem:

When I went to install my servo(jr4750), and got to the part were u use the short servo mount it doesn't fit. Is there a trick to installing the short servo mount..?Is the SSG short the same has the CGM's?

Last edited by yodace; 06-26-2004 at 10:11 PM.
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:49 PM   #8639
Tech Champion

what's not fitting? can you take a pic? go over the instructions one more time and look at the positioning of the short servo mount. Make sure it goes longways instead of up (I hope that makes sense )
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 06-26-2004, 11:09 PM   #8640
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the fix Matt...

This may sound funny but would a bent dogbone effect suspension... I noticed a bent dogbone on my car that would raise the arm.. Could this problem be anything else....? All the arms move freely with no binding....

Could anybody suggest a company that makes dogbones for the yokomo? Yokomo, Tobee etc...?

Last edited by yodace; 06-27-2004 at 12:03 AM.
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote