R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-29-2004, 09:07 PM   #8071
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When building my CG conversion is there any mods I should do?

Matt Howard

Thanks for the info...

Last edited by yodace; 04-29-2004 at 09:22 PM.
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:54 PM   #8072
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Weight Difference...

Quote:
Originally posted by glide 1
Hi, anyone know how much lighter the HPI PRO4 is to the SSG and CGM? We had a PRO4 on rails running at our club last week and it was fast!! Talked to the owner after the race and he said that he was gearing it higher than most of us were (i run an SSG), and that reason is is that his ride was 'simply lighter'. I am wondering how much lighter.
I'm suprised he didn't say he sprinkled it with magic dust before each race too!
Don't worry about weight so much, set-up and what tires you run as well as gearing ratio are more important (not to forget about driving ability too). I don't think the ssg is much heavier than a pro4 anyway.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:15 PM   #8073

hey guys, i was only having fun with you. didn't mean you make you go do all that homework and stuff,
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #8074
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Weight Difference...

Quote:
Originally posted by pops
I'm suprised he didn't say he sprinkled it with magic dust before each race too!
Don't worry about weight so much, set-up and what tires you run as well as gearing ratio are more important (not to forget about driving ability too). I don't think the ssg is much heavier than a pro4 anyway.
Pops,
Good to know that its not much heavier. I understand all the factors you mentioned are more important thanks
glide 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:34 AM   #8075

Send a message via Yahoo to Hi-LowBrow

hey guys, RS chassis is the way to go ! it's much better than the CGM, especially for the asphalt track.
Hi-LowBrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:41 AM   #8076
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I thought the "CVD" acronym was originally created by MIP for their UJ product... which became so hype that everybody started using this name for any cvd-like joint (of which most of them were moore's products copies). This UJ architecture became so standard (As opposed to the traditional UJ "cross" links) that everybody now uses the "CVD" word, although it originally was specific to MIP.

Later

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:50 AM   #8077
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Hi-LowBrow
hey guys, RS chassis is the way to go ! it's much better than the CGM, especially for the asphalt track.
I like my RS Chassis too. I haven't raced a CGM yet, but I've used other tub chassised cars in the past. There are pro's and con's to both chassis designs in my opinion.

The RS chassis is such a nice bit if kit, I'm in no rush to go the CGM route either, so you're not alone.

Randman liked the CGM so much that he sold it within a week and bought a Losi XXXs!!

It's all a matter of taste......
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:19 AM   #8078
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
I thought the "CVD" acronym was originally created by MIP for their UJ product... which became so hype that everybody started using this name for any cvd-like joint (of which most of them were moore's products copies). This UJ architecture became so standard (As opposed to the traditional UJ "cross" links) that everybody now uses the "CVD" word, although it originally was specific to MIP.

Later

Paul
On 1:1 cars, they're usually referred to as CVJ's. Until MIP brought out their upgrade driveshafts, Universal Joint (UJ) type shafts didn't have a smooth constant velocity output. A UJ only has the same output speed when the shaft is straight. As soon as there is an angle in the joint - whether it be up down left or right, or any combination, the output (axle/hub) velocity doesn't match the input (dogbone) velocity. Due to the design, the output lurches faster and slower - the more of an angle, the more it lurches.

The MIP design offers constant output velocity through a useful useable range of motion. Now their 'style' of model car driveshaft has become the new standard on competition oriented kits as many other manufacturers produce 'CVDs'. Mugen, Kyosho, HPI, Yokomo, Associated, Losi etc all do them.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:52 AM   #8079
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

pops- What turn motors are you guys running this weekend? If you are running a 9 what drive ratio are you running and how much timing.

Matt H- The same goes for you.....if you don't mind!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:25 AM   #8080
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
pops- What turn motors are you guys running this weekend? If you are running a 9 what drive ratio are you running and how much timing.

I'm going to hobbytown for the norcal series race but when I run 9 turns I usually run between 12 and 18 deg, depending on the layout and how hot it is out.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:31 AM   #8081
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST

15 to 17 1/2 degrees 8.4 to 8.7 final drive ratio.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:49 AM   #8082
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by yodace
[B]When building my CG conversion is there any mods I should do?
No mods have been mentioned here, but make sure the bearings are pushed in all the way on the steering bell cranks or you might see some binding in that area, especially the left one.
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:52 AM   #8083
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Talking MK chassis conversion

MK
nothing really special compared to the RS conversion...
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:53 PM   #8084
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Were can I find the RS conversion?
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 05:03 PM   #8085

You can get it at Speedtech.

I'm selling mine. Interested? PM me.

Last edited by Aku-Man; 04-30-2004 at 05:10 PM.
Aku-Man is offline   Reply With Quote