R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-11-2004, 10:53 AM   #7861
Tech Initiate

The reason I ask is because the track layout in Newark at Hobbytown is tight in the infield.I ran a oneway.I also ran a car with a tight front ball diff but the rest of the car was exactly the setup I ran.The car felt the same except on entry.His car pushed ever so slightly,but was really good everywhere else.My car steered aggresively into the turn and easily rotated without any push.How might a spool be.Closer to the diff?Or oneway?I was definately faster with a oneway even with the track being so tight.You gonna make it to the rest of the Norcal Races?Thanks!
rcracing1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:17 PM   #7862
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer
Default Spool

A spool will give you a push, but should help pull out of the corner like the one way.
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 02:16 PM   #7863
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
rcracing1973- The setup I ran this weekend was really good, regardless of running a spool, oneway, or diff. I don't think anything is better all the time, sometimes a spool will be faster, sometimes a oneway, depends on the track layout.
That set up your ran was dialed. Were you running any kick up in the front? I hope to be out next weekend if I can get an extra receiver. Are you coming out next weekend?
Old 04-11-2004, 05:53 PM   #7864
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

rcracing1973- I will be attending all the norcal TC challenge races. As far as the whole spool vs. oneway vs. diff thing goes, run whatever is faster for you. It took me forever to be able to run a oneway but when I figured it out I was faster than with a diff. Now that I'm concentrating on running a spool my car feels really good with that.

stlnlst- I will be at speedworld every weekend up until the Reedy unless theres a norcal TC challenge race that weekend. I wasn't running any kickup or antisquat in the car
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 06:15 PM   #7865
Tech Regular

For a pic of the yokomo Wide bumper go to my site. http://www.yokomo.tk. Matt if its ok with you I could post taht setup on my site too.
shortygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:14 PM   #7866
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by shortygy
For a pic of the yokomo Wide bumper go to my site. http://www.yokomo.tk. Matt if its ok with you I could post taht setup on my site too.
No problem, post away. That way people won't have to go back through all the pages if they need it.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:26 PM   #7867
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: SPOOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
Speedtech is supposed to be making a steel one. But in the mean time you can buy some losi spool pads and make one out of an old diff. That's the way I've done it and it seems to be holding up pretty well, and it's lighter than any locked up oneway or steel spool.
Speedtechrc does have them in stock and they work great. I would not recommend using the Losi discs with the Yok. They're fine for a belt car but the discs are made of sand paper. In an enclosed gear diff case, I don't think it would be a good idea. If the diff slips at all, the resulting grit has no where to go but into your gears
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:40 PM   #7868
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Good point, would have never thought about it that way . . .
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:52 PM   #7869
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

do you think it has proved to be the best car or is it still working on it
HEWITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:14 AM   #7870
Tech Master

No car is the "Best car" yes there are currently people working on perfecting the car, or making it better. But there is always room improvment.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:47 AM   #7871
Tech Master

Hi friends. greetings from Malta.

We had our annual Easter Cup meeting on Saturday and I actually took part with my SD with very encouraging results.

Race format is 3 finals on 3 different circuits - short, long, and oval, so the winner must be pretty good at everything!

I did quite a bit of testing beforehand. One experiment was using old style MR4 Special front hubs - the ones with the big bearings. This set up gave more ackerman which I liked. It also allowed the use of 26mm wheels without fouling the steering arms.

I tried a one way on both the short and long circuits but preferred it with the spool and that's the way I ran it. The one way would have been better on the oval.

RESULTS. Race 1 lasted less than a lap - my shortened TC3 centre shaft snapped so DNF. Race 2 on the long circuit I was 3rd overall - remember I'm almost 58 and haven't raced all year. Race 3 on the oval I was 2nd overall.

The SD behaved beautifully despite the conditions, warm, windy and dusty.

Son Josh won overall with his TC3 - prepared by me. He won all 3 finals with ease. Again he tried the one way and didn't like it too so he also ran a spool. The main change to his car was the bodyshell. We used a Yokomo Type D Stratus. This is so much lighter that we needed to add almost 30 grams in weight, but of course it brought our C of G down and nearer to our roll centre so that the car was cornering so much quicker, flatter and safer. The difference was noticible. On the short circuit he ran more than half his laps in the early 16s. Nobody else even dipped into the 16s.

This is certainly an interesting one for CGM owners with a weight problem. I never thought the lightweight bodyshell would have such advantages.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:02 AM   #7872
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default My First Race... Need some help!

On Saturday, I finished my first TC race in 2 years. It was also the first time my SD Black had been on the asphalt. I finished 2nd (had the fastest lap time), but should have won.

I had a couple of problems...

- Crazy understeer (I could barely make a fast turn at all) This is what caused me the most difficulty.
- Oversteer on turn exit. I was able to control this by using less throttle

My setup:
stock motor
Yokomo Green springs all around
Sorex 28R
50wt front/ 40wt rear
no sway bar
asphalt, relatively cool, slightly dusty
-2 degrees camber
No spool or oneway

I can't believe how much tuning knowledge I have forgotten! Must be getting old.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #7873
Tech Initiate

Geppetto...look down on this page.Matt howard put up a setup that should work awsome.Try it with a oneway.Should be really good.My setup is almost the same and my car was really good this last saturday.first place.I run onparking lot tracks alot so dusty is normal to me.
rcracing1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:35 AM   #7874
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm going to call you tonight "G".
Old 04-12-2004, 10:51 AM   #7875
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

rcracing1973: I saw that. I thought that his setup was for the CGM chassis, so I wasn't sure if it would apply.

Isaac: Ok. Talk to you later!
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote