R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #7711
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

Well Steve you got one sold for sure to me...lol Keep us up to date on them. Ran my CGM this weekend in mod and had some very good luck but I am wanting to try a spool out.

Thanks for brining us this cool new product!

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 09:40 PM   #7712
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

initial test of the SD spool was awesome, the car handles great (we tested on a medium/large size outdoor track with decent bite) very predictable in and out of the turns.

These spools are made of steel so they are very durable, and because we incorporated a lot lightening process (hollowing out the center of the spool and milling out the back plate) these spools are about the same weight as the one-way unit with the outdrives on.

I'll have an exact weight of the two on Monday when I get back to work and have access to our digital scale

We should have these available very soon.

Steve Wang
Would like to get one for Alex to use at the Reedy. Keep us posted Steve.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:02 PM   #7713
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

speaking of spools, I tested all day today with a spool and got it working pretty good. I'll post the setup when I get a chance, hopefully tomorrow.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:09 PM   #7714
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
speaking of spools, I tested all day today with a spool and got it working pretty good. I'll post the setup when I get a chance, hopefully tomorrow.
are you racing nextweekend? It should be fun. I'll have some new ponies by nextweekend.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:31 AM   #7715
Tech Master

Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

I have been running a spool on my Yokes for at least 6 months. As nobody made one professionally I had to make my own. And yes the car is ballistic with the front spool.

STEVE.

Why not dural, like the IRS one for the TC3. It will be tons lighter. The one way is way too heavy.

DRAG RACE SD.

I ran my car in a 60 metre drag race on Saturday and made FTD. I also ran a rail but couldn't equal the SD times. Best pass with the rail was 4.30 sec. Best pass with the SD was 4.23. Open the attachment to see my rail.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drag 04 - jbr rail.jpg (92.8 KB, 194 views)
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:13 AM   #7716
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

initial test of the SD spool was awesome, the car handles great (we tested on a medium/large size outdoor track with decent bite) very predictable in and out of the turns.

These spools are made of steel so they are very durable, and because we incorporated a lot lightening process (hollowing out the center of the spool and milling out the back plate) these spools are about the same weight as the one-way unit with the outdrives on.

I'll have an exact weight of the two on Monday when I get back to work and have access to our digital scale

We should have these available very soon.

Steve Wang
Sweet, how much will they be?
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:09 AM   #7717
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Hey guys - I just did the 90 steering servo mod on my car yesterday. Came out well, though when I was counter sunking one of the holes I decided to use a bigger drill bit. Well it grabbed too well and went all the way though the chassis! I fixed it by using a counter sunk washer and that's holding well. Man was I really pissed. I thought I was going to have to use one screw and some shoe goo to hold down the servo down.

I think the 90 will really help the steering response.

John
Old 03-29-2004, 07:55 AM   #7718
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by John Fontaine
Hey guys - I just did the 90 steering servo mod on my car yesterday. Came out well, though when I was counter sunking one of the holes I decided to use a bigger drill bit. Well it grabbed too well and went all the way though the chassis! I fixed it by using a counter sunk washer and that's holding well. Man was I really pissed. I thought I was going to have to use one screw and some shoe goo to hold down the servo down.

I think the 90 will really help the steering response.

John
Time to get the CGM, it is a much better chassis.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:19 AM   #7719
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

I have been running a spool on my Yokes for at least 6 months. As nobody made one professionally I had to make my own. And yes the car is ballistic with the front spool.

STEVE.

Why not dural, like the IRS one for the TC3. It will be tons lighter. The one way is way too heavy.

DRAG RACE SD.

I ran my car in a 60 metre drag race on Saturday and made FTD. I also ran a rail but couldn't equal the SD times. Best pass with the rail was 4.30 sec. Best pass with the SD was 4.23. Open the attachment to see my rail.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Hi Joe,

We decided not to make the spools out of aluminum or "dural" simply for durability reasons. Most of the customers complain that the IRS spools in their TC3 do not last more than a whole race weekend. So the fact that they are no heavier than a one-way means you're not really loosing out by running a spool and if we can make them last much longer than the aluminum spools, then I think that's a plus for the customers

Steve Wang
Old 03-29-2004, 09:26 AM   #7720
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Quote:
Originally posted by pops
Time to get the CGM, it is a much better chassis.
I want to see how this chassis runs outdoors, and if its not working out for me, a CGM conversion might be in the works. Been spending a lot lately, need to put a hold on that and actually get some performance out of the $$ I've been spending.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:40 AM   #7721
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

I know Tosolini runs a Locked up oneway as a spool. I like the fact that it will be steel. I know the guys that have them for the tc3 (Baker) really like them and have great longevity, which is important to a spool.

Thanks again Steve for getting this item produced!

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:20 PM   #7722
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to ALEXSCHOFIELD Send a message via AIM to ALEXSCHOFIELD Send a message via Yahoo to ALEXSCHOFIELD

yea good to see one getting produced
ALEXSCHOFIELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:33 PM   #7723
Tech Regular

John Fontaine,

Get some plumbers putty and fill in the holes. Then remark and redrill, and sand it smooth after it has dried. It's a great quick fix for graphite and composite chassis. I used it on my graphite chassied YZ-10 when I made and error on cutting the holes for my adjustable wheelbase chassis mod. One years worth of runs, no breaks or cracks there again.
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:06 PM   #7724
Tech Champion

Here's my spool setup I came up with this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cgm spool-1.jpg (135.3 KB, 242 views)
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 03-29-2004, 06:10 PM   #7725
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
are you racing nextweekend? It should be fun. I'll have some new ponies by nextweekend.
Yeah, I'm racing the first race of the NORCAL TC Challenge down in Gilroy this weekend. You should come down too, unless you don't want to represent all your sponsors in the biggest racing series in northern california
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361