R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #7426
Tech Fanatic
 
Tommy Bergfeldt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 979
Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Wow, I was never able to find that thing, I just ended up cutting the top off of the regular servo mount...
Actually i had the Dremel connected with cutoff wheel ready to cut off a regular mount when i found the right holder

Realized i nearly have one complete car in spare parts besides 3 A-armaxles, some screws and stuff.. Will order these small parts and i will have one SSG and one CGM
__________________
JMI Motorsport / Red Bull Racing
HB Cyclone TC - Schumacher CAT SX & Cougar SV
Advanced Electronics - Autopartner.se - Sav÷x - NorthTQ
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:08 PM   #7427
Tech Master
 
EricF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,547
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
Take what?

I don't recall you having anything constructive to say on the subject at all.
You're right, there's nothing to take. Thus the big smiley face.

I just find it amusing how on the edge things can get when you write something in stead of saying it out loud face to face.

Eric
__________________
<
AE 12R5.2 & R6(x2) - TC7.1 convert, F6 - M05 - M05V2R

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:48 PM   #7428
Tech Elite
 
Horatio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,056
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Fike
You're right, there's nothing to take. Thus the big smiley face.

I just find it amusing how on the edge things can get when you write something in stead of saying it out loud face to face.

Eric
Nearly as amusing as the stuff that gets said on the rostrum - only too close to the edge in that scenario usually reults in a nasty fall ....

Rctech is comparitively far safer

Regards

Horatio
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:24 PM   #7429
Registered User
 
2Tenths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 220
Graphite Hub Carriers

Has anyone else noticed that the left graphite hub carrier has some slop when you use the top of the two mounting positions (for the arm)? I've tried using different hubs and arms, but the slop just won't go away. The right side carrier is perfect, so I thought maybe it was a problem with the mould It seems like the hole for the outer suspension pin is too large. Any thoughts on what the problem is?

One other thing: I was talking to the one other driver at our track who runs the CGM and he says that the motor mount is made of magnesium. This really suprised me, but then I noticed that the metal seems lighter than aluminum, (and magnesium is). Any ideas on what the mount is made of?
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:29 PM   #7430
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver Bc
Posts: 349
Default

I had a problem with slop in one of my carriers, but after closer inspection it had a hair line crack right along the hinge pin hole. Changed the block and that was it.

I think the motor mount is like cast aluminum or sumthing
shortygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:30 PM   #7431
Tech Elite
 
JusBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central VA
Posts: 2,170
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Graphite Hub Carriers

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Tenths
Has anyone else noticed that the left graphite hub carrier has some slop when you use the top of the two mounting positions (for the arm)? I've tried using different hubs and arms, but the slop just won't go away. The right side carrier is perfect, so I thought maybe it was a problem with the mould It seems like the hole for the outer suspension pin is too large. Any thoughts on what the problem is?

One other thing: I was talking to the one other driver at our track who runs the CGM and he says that the motor mount is made of magnesium. This really suprised me, but then I noticed that the metal seems lighter than aluminum, (and magnesium is). Any ideas on what the mount is made of?
Isn't magnesium a relatively brittle metal? I don't see that as a good thing in a rc car.... i dunno though, just thinking out loud.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:35 PM   #7432
Tech Elite
 
lee82gx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Land Of peace , Malaysia
Posts: 2,304
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

magnesium by itself is brittle and has low strength characteristics.
What we get is an alloy off magnesium and aluminum.but to call it magnesium is much more cool.
It's just the same as some titanium we have.Not pure either.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:06 PM   #7433
Tech Regular
 
NightKidZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 394
Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ
Default Re: Re: Graphite Hub Carriers

Quote:
Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
Isn't magnesium a relatively brittle metal? I don't see that as a good thing in a rc car.... i dunno though, just thinking out loud.
I believe AE used to make a magnesium alloy rear pod for the RC12. I really dun think it's that brittle an alloy since they do make forged mag rims for full sized competition cars and bikes.

Cheers
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:55 AM   #7434
Tech Master
 
johnbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Malta. G.C.
Posts: 1,762
Default

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Haven't been on for 24 hourts and there's alot to answer, so here goes.

Formula 1.

Yes Ilmor build the Mercedes engine. Built in UK but financed by Mercedes. The logo on the car says Mercedes. The name says Mercedes. It's Mercedes that look lousy with it's performance.

The fact still remains that the speed of the Ferrari is a real embarrasement. As for fastest engine. BMW claimed that last year. I doubt they have the guts to claim that again this year, after last Sunday's disaster.

But back to Yokes.

Geppetto. Hopefully you have solved your diff case problem by now. In case you haven't, I suspect it could be the big bearing that is not seated properly on the diff pinion. I had this when I first built my first SD. You need to press the bearing right in. Same with the outer of the bearing in the diff case.

Both my diff cases now fit well, both diffs are nice and loose, and both covers are screwed tight. Just built another CGM and no problems there either.

Went down testing with my son Josh (TC3) yesterday evening. He ended up running regular laps half a second faster than his own lap record from last year. Only differences, 8 turn motors and 3300 cells. Last year we used 10 turns and 3000s.

Should be interesting on Sunday!

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:22 AM   #7435
Tech Elite
 
Horatio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,056
Default

Yokomo used to use Magnesium alloy on their top of the range off road cars years ago. It's extremely light, but not as strong as Titanium.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:08 AM   #7436
Tech Addict
 
Sleighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 568
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Haven't been on for 24 hourts and there's alot to answer, so here goes.

Formula 1.

Yes Ilmor build the Mercedes engine. Built in UK but financed by Mercedes. The logo on the car says Mercedes. The name says Mercedes. It's Mercedes that look lousy with it's performance.

The fact still remains that the speed of the Ferrari is a real embarrasement. As for fastest engine. BMW claimed that last year. I doubt they have the guts to claim that again this year, after last Sunday's disaster.

But back to Yokes.

Geppetto. Hopefully you have solved your diff case problem by now. In case you haven't, I suspect it could be the big bearing that is not seated properly on the diff pinion. I had this when I first built my first SD. You need to press the bearing right in. Same with the outer of the bearing in the diff case.

Both my diff cases now fit well, both diffs are nice and loose, and both covers are screwed tight. Just built another CGM and no problems there either.

Went down testing with my son Josh (TC3) yesterday evening. He ended up running regular laps half a second faster than his own lap record from last year. Only differences, 8 turn motors and 3300 cells. Last year we used 10 turns and 3000s.

Should be interesting on Sunday!

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.

As far as f1 goes i think you incorrect. BMW have the fastest engine and i dont think that they claim that they do, it was obvious on the rev counter graphic during the race that they do. The fact that ferrari beat them has nothing to do with engine power its the car/tyres. In fact it was more the cold tempertatures and i think that we shall see a more true picture in malaysia in 2 weeks time. I think everybody should stop going on about how Ferrari are going to dominate the championship as they wont, the season is 18 races long, not 1 race! We shall see what happens in Malaysia! Australia has always suited the Bridgestones due to the high speed corners, when we get to slower tighter tracks with higher temperatures i think things will change. Dont forget Ferrari were lapped by Renault last year
__________________
A1-RC.com
Team Scream
Xray
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:35 AM   #7437
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 1,499
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default As the Transmission turns :)

Well last night I removed and reassembled my rear transmission housing. I wasn't able to identify what was causing the binding, but when rebuilding I did make sure that everything was properly seated. My drivetrain is now turning freely.

As I reinstalled the transmission housing, I constantly checked for any binding as I installed screw after screw. Believe it or not, as soon as I installed the 2 bottom screws (closest to the spur) that hold the transmission case in place the transmission began to bind again??? All I was doing is snugging the screws in place, not cranking down on them.

I continued checking the movement of the transmission as I installed the rest of the screws, and I noticed that it would bind slightly dependent on which screw I was securing and how tight I made the screw.

Anyway, I found a balance and everything is working fine. I had no idea that these plastic parts deform when screws are installed.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:36 AM   #7438
Tech Elite
 
Horatio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,056
Default

Regardless of engines and whose is fastest, F1 lately always turns into a bit of a one horse race, especially since Ferrari got their act together. Ironic really cos I remember when it was always Williams and people said 'wouldn't it be nice to see a Ferrari win again'.

Personally I'd be suprised if the results were much different to last seasons, but as you said - it's very early days yet.

The fact remains - to watch and enjoy F1 these days you have to be a pretty hardcore fan, unlike other forms of motorsport which are generally far more 'easy going' to watch. It's strange that it should be like that, when you consider that F1 is the pinnicle of all motor sport.

Last edited by Horatio; 03-09-2004 at 08:47 AM.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:41 AM   #7439
Tech Elite
 
Horatio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,056
Default Re: As the Transmission turns :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Geppetto

I continued checking the movement of the transmission as I installed the rest of the screws, and I noticed that it would bind slightly dependent on which screw I was securing and how tight I made the screw.

Anyway, I found a balance and everything is working fine. I had no idea that these plastic parts deform when screws are installed.

Thanks for all the help guys.
You are right to do this - as we have discussed many times before, not all mouldings are equal, so you have to use caution when applying torque to the screws on the cases. So long as the cases are together and the diff isn't going anywhere, don't worry. The most important thing is that your tranny runs free and that your main diff bearings aren't getting pinched - I have a feeling this is what you are experiencing. 'Blue printed' diff cases are available on the tc3 for precisely the same reasons.

Regards

Horatio
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:29 AM   #7440
Tech Elite
 
lee82gx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Land Of peace , Malaysia
Posts: 2,304
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

i just blew a coupla hundred bucks in hop-ups today..and man it feels good to overspend.

Question for those who have the CGM conversion:
Does the set come with graphite arms,spindles/knuckles,carriers?
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yokomo or yokomo parts yokomo7 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 12-19-2009 08:45 PM
Yokomo is coming out with a new version of the bd : Yokomo BD 2 roadrashracing Electric On-Road 12 12-19-2007 07:08 AM
yokomo Aluminum Steering Bellcrank Posts and other yokomo spares hurley081182 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 02-27-2006 06:07 PM
Lots FS: CRC 3.2 & Yokomo YRX-12, Yokomo TC Tires, JR Receivers, New Motors, more TurboFC3S R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 15 09-22-2005 09:38 PM
WTB Yokomo 1/12 Mini...Trade for 1/10 Yokomo dynamic_e R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 07-12-2003 05:58 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:31 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net