R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2004, 06:22 AM   #7396
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

I started building my SSG to CGM status today. When I had mounted the steering together i was going to put my servo in and realized there is no "small" servo holder in the CGM-Box, is it included in a parts tree in the SSG kit or what?
The "regular" servoholder is no probs because i already have two or three..
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:34 AM   #7397
Tech Elite

Default Re: Transmission Binding

Quote:
Originally posted by Geppetto
Help!!! I built my SD black over the weekend. I took my time, and found it quite enjoyable.

Problem: When I tighten the transmission case on the back of the car, everything seems to bind??? If I loosen the screws on the back cover, everything moves freely.

I've narrowed down the problem to the rear transmission, but I'm not sure what I could possibly do to change things. I've reduced the number of shims to 2, but its still not free!

Help!!!
The screws on both front and rear transmission housings should only be screwed in hard enough to JUST hold the cases together -any tighter than this is un-necessary and will cause the cases to both distort (causing incorrect mesh) and pinch the diff bearings. The screws used here never vibrate loose unlike metal to metal contact, so go easy on the torque.

Hope this helps.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:44 AM   #7398
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
The screws on both front and rear transmission housings should only be screwed in hard enough to JUST hold the cases together -any tighter than this is un-necessary and will cause the cases to both distort (causing incorrect mesh) and pinch the diff bearings. The screws used here never vibrate loose unlike metal to metal contact, so go easy on the torque.
Thanks. I actually only tightened the screws enough to seal the case. The only way my transmission spins freely at all is if I leave a gap of about .5mm around the transmission housing cover.

My diffs spin freely

If I open the case comletely there's no binding

Maybe I'll just take the entire transmission apart (down to the last screw) and rebuild it to see if I get better results.

Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:46 AM   #7399
Tech Addict

I know your problem and it was the same one i had when i first built my SD, its just the fact that your rear input drive just needs pushing into the transmission case a little bit futher. If you look carefully it will stick ever so slightly futher out than the front.

Losen it off the spur gear adaptor and make sure that the input drive pushed all they way into the case. Also check the bearing is pushed all the way in also. I think this happens because the transmission cases are new coming out of the mould and they are possibly a tiny bit tight.

Sleighty
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:47 AM   #7400
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

twagger
Old 03-08-2004, 06:52 AM   #7401
Tech Elite

Yep! That will be it!

With a gap all the way round the tranny case, something aint right

Getting the drive bevel, pin and shaft wrong would result in that sort of problem.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:53 AM   #7402
Tech Master

Sleighty: Thanks. I'll take a closer look at that as a possible cause.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:54 AM   #7403
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by pheyhoe
twagger
Twagger? WTF?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:56 AM   #7404
Tech Addict

Quote:
Sleighty: Thanks. I'll take a closer look at that as a possible cause.
I think that should be it my friend, thats what was wrong with mine anyway.

Horatio: I just had a go at him for posting instead of giving me a pm please excuse his ignorance

sleighty
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:02 AM   #7405
Tech Master

Thumbs up Building/maintaining the SD

I've owned driven Yokomo cars since 1996 (about 5 different variants), and I have to say that in terms of building and anticipated maintainence, this kit has to be the best.

On my belt driven Yokomo kits, I used to avoid rebuilding the diffs because it was such a chore to get to it. With the SD kit, I'll probably rebuild the diffs between heats just for the fun of it!

I also love the idea that suspension arms and transmission housings are the same front/rear. Everything is just so simple. There can't be an easier car to work on???
Old 03-08-2004, 07:09 AM   #7406
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleighty
I think that should be it my friend, thats what was wrong with mine anyway.

Horatio: I just had a go at him for posting instead of giving me a pm please excuse his ignorance

sleighty
Old 03-08-2004, 07:15 AM   #7407
Tech Elite

Default Re: Building/maintaining the SD

Quote:
I've owned driven Yokomo cars since 1996 (about 5 different variants), and I have to say that in terms of building and anticipated maintainence, this kit has to be the best.

On my belt driven Yokomo kits, I used to avoid rebuilding the diffs because it was such a chore to get to it. With the SD kit, I'll probably rebuild the diffs between heats just for the fun of it!

I also love the idea that suspension arms and transmission housings are the same front/rear. Everything is just so simple. There can't be an easier car to work on???
You're absolutely right. I've been racing model cars for 20 years and the SD is without a doubt the easiest car to work on. It's very cleverly designed so that no job takes longer than a few minutes. Awesome.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:50 AM   #7408
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

lol sorry bout that, was just wonderin why he was postin here when he was meant to be at skool

please excuse my ignorance, hmmm ok i like bein ignorant
Old 03-08-2004, 08:07 AM   #7409
Tech Elite

Horatio - what I've described is an H carrier. I could show you another carrier that does not have those mould lines in it, that came with the car originally, one of the first batch of cars into the UK.

It would seem there is a further update on the H carrier that hasn't necessitated a change in part number, if you have them that are thick in the other axis as well.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:46 AM   #7410
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default CGM question

if i place an upper deck in the CGM will it help a little in not stripping the one way gears in a frontal impact?
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote