R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2004, 02:05 AM   #7381
Tech Master

Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

STEERING SLOP.

Agree with Chris. Yokes have the same amount of joints in the steering system as all the rest. Slp comes from those joints mainly.

2 ways to reduce it. Easiest way. replace ball joints with Schumacher (grey) joints. They are better.

Even better, throw away the ball joints and go for rose joints as I did. Look at pics of my car in previous threads. I now use TC3 shock ends everywhere. i have found them to have far less play than anything else I have tried. They are stupidly expensive though.

FORMULA 1.

I have been a close follower of F1 for donkey's years. Went abroad to watch my first GP live in 1963! Have written articles about it, done television reviews, all sorts. Got it in the blood, or something.

Ferrari domination is a credit to Ferrari though perhaps boring to us spectators. It is certainly shameful on the Germans, Mercedes and BMW who seem to think they are such a superior race, yet are unable to make an engine that can beat ferrari.

Now that should create some controversy!

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:54 AM   #7382
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

Schumacher and Ferrari are going to be very hard to beat. He's a superb driver despite the fact that he's a dick head. In one word : Forza Ferrari (sorry but I'm 1/2 italian, so got it in the blood also). I'd be pleased if Renault does good results this yeear too as my other half is french...

Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 03:21 AM   #7383
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra81li200
Schumacher and Ferrari are going to be very hard to beat. He's a superb driver despite the fact that he's a dick head.

'My ribs hurt'

Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 03:26 AM   #7384
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Hi friends. Greetings from Malta.

.... It is certainly shameful on the Germans, Mercedes and BMW who seem to think they are such a superior race, yet are unable to make an engine that can beat ferrari.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Controversial or what!!!!!!!!

Blimey - you're gonnna get flamed!

Did your dad fly one of those Gloucester Gladiators or what?
Old 03-08-2004, 03:40 AM   #7385
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi everybody,

Where can I buy the SSG battery plate that M.Hirosaka & C.Tosolini use???

I want it!!!
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 03:45 AM   #7386
Tech Elite

lee82gx - I can't post a pic just now, but here's a description of how to identify an "H" carrier.

Look at the hole the driveshaft goes through. On the "H" you should see a fine moulding line about 1.5mm from the hole on either side. This shows where the old mould was, which had a bigger hole.

An early carrier won't have these fine lines.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 03:49 AM   #7387
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
I believe i have one of the later production versions of the SD..
and it makes me wonder if the C-hubs that i have are the 4143H versions??
Anyone can shoot some pics of the old ones and the new ones for comparison?
Has there been any rolling changes that weren't updated to the manual or anything?
Just for you, you'll notice the 4134H version c carrier on the right is thicker. The main part is approx 5mm compared to the 4134 which is approx 3.5mm.

Hope this helps, would have replied sooner but was busy racing and organising my off road cars for the summer season.

Horatio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4134h.jpg (65.6 KB, 99 views)
Old 03-08-2004, 03:51 AM   #7388
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull

Ferrari domination is a credit to Ferrari though perhaps boring to us spectators. It is certainly shameful on the Germans, Mercedes and BMW who seem to think they are such a superior race, yet are unable to make an engine that can beat ferrari.

Hmm just some thots on this

Ferrari doesn't have the most powerful engine on the grid, that honor goes to BMW. The Mercedes engine in the Mac are actually made by Ilmor in the UK.

Cheers
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 04:01 AM   #7389
Tech Elite

Exclamation

Check the picture - the parts inside the packet are supposed to be 4134H c-carriers. However, they are actually the standard 4134 parts

So be warned, make sure you check the contents if you go ahead and order the 4134H parts!!

Regards

Horatio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4134hwrong.jpg (84.2 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-08-2004, 04:18 AM   #7390
Tech Elite

Sosidge:

Interesting point you make about the lines, however, both the 'thick' version and the standard 'thin' version have the lines you just mention.

See the picture - the c carrier on the right is a 4134 and is clearly thinner AND has the lines around the hole. Regarding the lines, is this info something deduced by you or actually given to you by Yokomo?

Perhaps there are actually more than 2 versions of the plastic C carriers - does anyone know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4134lines.jpg (54.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 03-08-2004, 04:41 AM   #7391
Tech Elite

Horatio and Sosidge,
thanks a lot.Well it seems that even the later versions of the SD are still packaged with the non-H hubs.
I've given up on the idea that my car would've had the 'option' hard parts for free.Probably they are considered as hop ups by Yokomo.Much like the 53xxx line of parts by tamiya.

It also seems that Horatio is right on the 'lines' they exist on both versions.
Dang you guys were breaking these in crashes?.
I've had thinner ones in my xray and those would survive a lot a bad crashes.

Also it seems that these parts have nylon fibres in them already,making them pretty tough.
I think those who are complaining a lot about breakage should look at their own driving styles.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:06 AM   #7392
Tech Elite

Lee:

Put simply, the examples I had (they may be different to yours, but I doubt it) were made out of weak toy-like plastic and were too thin!!! There was virtually NO fibre reinforcement in them at all, so clearly the problem is actually on more than just one level, including the way the parts are actually moulded. It's not quite as simple as saying 'it's thicker, therfore it's stronger than a TC3 carrier or Xray Carrier'.

The H versions do appear to be better, but as I've said before (perhaps you just skimmed past my posts) even the H versions can fail without hitting anything - occassionally the parts have what looks like bubbles in them, which allows to cracks to form, so even under NORMAL driving with no incidents the parts can break.

This shouldn't turn in to an ego building oppurtunity - if you haven't broken any yet - good for you, whoever you may be. And I dare say that quite a few parts have broken due to 'muppet' driving errors. What I'm highlighting is that a significant percentage of these plastic parts are breaking when they shouldn't because they are NOT up to Yokomo's usual high standards. People are even running SD's with TC3 corners!! Go figure.......
Old 03-08-2004, 05:20 AM   #7393
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Transmission Binding

Help!!! I built my SD black over the weekend. I took my time, and found it quite enjoyable.

Problem: When I tighten the transmission case on the back of the car, everything seems to bind??? If I loosen the screws on the back cover, everything moves freely.

I've narrowed down the problem to the rear transmission, but I'm not sure what I could possibly do to change things. I've reduced the number of shims to 2, but its still not free!

Help!!!
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:23 AM   #7394
Tech Elite

Horatio:
Yes it's very true that the molding process can be at fault for untimely failure.My sympathies for your bad purchase on the H-hubs.I've got a similar experience:Losi hubs,wrong degrees (0 instead of 4),wrong material (plastic instead of graphite).

I'm trying to make a better comparison(scientific) of the purportedly weak yokomo parts against some other manufacturers.But that might mean breaking some of them on purpose

No,please dont think this is some ego building exercise..that takes the fun away from RC.It's always an outlet of fun nothing else.I didn't mean anyone in particular when i mentioned the 'driving style' thing.My apologies if it seems personal to you(or anyone else).
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:31 AM   #7395
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
I'm trying to make a better comparison(scientific) of the purportedly weak yokomo parts against some other manufacturers.But that might mean breaking some of them on purpose

No,please dont think this is some ego building exercise..that takes the fun away from RC.It's always an outlet of fun nothing else.I didn't mean anyone in particular when i mentioned the 'driving style' thing.My apologies if it seems personal to you(or anyone else).
OK, fair enough

See - I'm happy now