R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-02-2004, 11:06 PM   #7261
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
BTW, if anyone needs a 1 way diff, I have a spare that I'll sell for $25 shipped in the US, includes diff gear and drive cups.
Its new rite?
Techart27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:09 AM   #7262
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Techart27
Its new rite?
Sorry not to clarify in the description, but it is used.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:35 AM   #7263
IH
Tech Adept

Do the SD-SGG and the CGM have the same body mount positions
or do you have to drill new body holes?

Thanks,
IH
IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:11 AM   #7264
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
Where / who makes the alloy c carriers? Just a thought, as I'm still finding it very difficult to find a cost effective way of obtaining the 4143G c carriers.

Regards

Horatio
Horatio. Greetings from Malta.

Randman is correct. He has a very good memory it seems. Certainly better than mine.

Yes, I use Fastrax or Suzuki MR4 TC ones. I simply remove the lugs that retain the top link and anchor the outer ball joint of the top link to the king pin. I use rose joints, not ball joints. In other words I use a 3mm screw with a bush, instead of the top king pin.

There are quite a few people running the SD this way in England.

I have 4 deg, 5 deg, and 7 deg ones. The 5 deg are presently on.

Spent most of yesterday building another CGM. This customer wants all the bearings done etc, but I don't mind. Should be a quick one with that sort of attention.

He would also like me to set it up for him, which means I will be driving it most of the weekend. What fun!

Will report my views on Monday.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:33 AM   #7265
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
Where / who makes the alloy c carriers? Just a thought, as I'm still finding it very difficult to find a cost effective way of obtaining the 4143G c carriers.
Geez, dude, will you ever quit whining about the availability problems in the UK? I mean, seriously, just use your internet connection and send an email to a japanese or US shop, and you'll be set in a couple of weeks... And yes, they'll charge you $15 for shipping, so you'll need to stock up on other parts to make it worth it, or just team up with your track buddies, and order like $150 pounds of parts, brushes, bearings, whatever...

How do you think we do it in non-US countries (typing from switzerland right now)? Just like suggested above... we don't officially get the stuff before 6 months either, or when we get it, the markup on prices is totally indecent because the official importer marks up prices a good 150%. So get your credit card ready, do yourself a favor, shout a big F-word at your local importer, and start ordering overseas... Your car will thank you...

Now, as far as breakage problems on the SD, there is not a single page on this thread when you don't scream all over the place that the SD had teething problems, but they're pretty much fixed now. Don't you think it's time to let it go and start saying the car's ok? I do ... Most of the (supposedly) early breakage problems have been fixed, so maybe it's time to turn the page? I'm not saying the car is unbreakable, no car is. I'm just saying it's just as reliable as anything else on the market. If you hit hard enough, you'll break, period... No less and no more than with the TC3, which was also my previous car

Once you own a car, you should not only say good stuff about it if it doesn't deerve it, true... But you're really giving an undeserved terrible rep to the SD... the car is as strong as most cars on the market. Here it represented a good 50% of the paddocks until recently (everybody switched to the Pro4 when Orion started imported it and when the local hotshot drove one... darn sheepish people), and even in the "sportsman" class (read "real beginner", you know, the guys who go from outside board to outside board and dont understand that left and right switch when the car come back to you) the car was just sturdy as anything else, except maybe TL01's.

All I'm saying is, yes, it's good to show the defect of a product. The car is not perfect, actually I even liked my TC3 better... However, if, after a while, you're the main and pretty much the only guy on the forum screaming all over the place, and you're always venting about the same stuff again and again, maybe it's time to give the car and the forum users a break...

Not trying to be a d**k or anything... but although I understand where you're coming from, I think a lot of the good info on this thread is getting way too diluted. Would you try to tone down a bit?

Later,
Paul from Switzerland

PS: you can drop me a PM if you want, I'll be glad to direct you to a cool overseas shop where I order from. They are stocked, work nice and quick, and their prices are very decent, I pretty much only order from them any more.

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 03:25 AM   #7266
Tech Elite

Lonestar:

Thanks for your honest views. I know that sometimes what I say may get right up certain people's noses - it's not intentional but sometimes it's also unavoidable. I won't mix my words and I stick by what I say.

You can call it what you like - whining, complaining, whinging, griping - whatever. It actually makes no difference to the validity of what I'm saying.

There is an element of repetitiveness to certain things I say, infact information is very often repeated throughout this thread by just about every user, but it is totally inaccurate of you to say that I 'whinge' on every page. Most recently, my complaint has been of poorly moulded REVISED components - this needs to be shouted about doesn't it? I think so! Cos it means that the problem hasn't been satisfactorily resolved

AND I mentioined about parts in the WRONG bag. I mean I order H version parts and get the standard parts with an H tag? What's the story here? I think this is an important thing to have mentioned on this thread - don't you?

You don't have to look very far back along this thread to see my positive contributions regarding the SD SSG, and more recently, the RS chassis conversion including a mini report on how well I got on with it on it's first day out - including fastest/average lap times etc.

It's you who's being far too sensitive and rather silly IMHO. Politely asking me to shut up or leave the forum!! You'ld swear I was bad-mouthing your mum or something

BTW, you'll also notice someone considering starting touring car racing (at the end of the last page), trying to decide whether to get a Yok or a TC3. It would be nice to think that he could use this thread as a balanced source of information and form a well educated choice, without first having to wade through a flame war to do so.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 03:53 AM   #7267
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by RCJer
Well took me a week but I finally read though most of this thread!I have been racing off road for a while now but on road looks like a lot of fun. Been trying to make my mind up TC3 or a Yokomo.
CGM looks nice!

Decisions!

OK enough typing lurk mode back on....
Good luck with your lurking

Be sure to let us know how you get on!
Old 03-03-2004, 04:09 AM   #7268
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

you reacted.... good! It means at least you read through my way too long post

You can call it what you want, too... it makes no difference to the validity of what I'm saying myself...

But, as I said, I'd be glad to help, I know what it feels like to be part-deprived country, so drop me a PM.

Later,
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:18 AM   #7269
Tech Elite

Lonestar:

One other thing - if that over-seas mail order company you deal with is so good, why not just post the details on the thread so that it benefits everybody?

Regards

Horatio
Old 03-03-2004, 04:30 AM   #7270
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
You can call it what you want, too... it makes no difference to the validity of what I'm saying myself...

Later,
Paul

? WTF ?
Old 03-03-2004, 05:12 AM   #7271
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Horatio. Greetings from Malta.

Randman is correct. He has a very good memory it seems. Certainly better than mine.

Yes, I use Fastrax or Suzuki MR4 TC ones. I simply remove the lugs that retain the top link and anchor the outer ball joint of the top link to the king pin. I use rose joints, not ball joints. In other words I use a 3mm screw with a bush, instead of the top king pin.

There are quite a few people running the SD this way in England.

I have 4 deg, 5 deg, and 7 deg ones. The 5 deg are presently on.

Spent most of yesterday building another CGM. This customer wants all the bearings done etc, but I don't mind. Should be a quick one with that sort of attention.

He would also like me to set it up for him, which means I will be driving it most of the weekend. What fun!

Will report my views on Monday.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Thanks Johnbull.

Agreed, Randman must have a photograhic memory - unlike me, my memory is like a siv and I'm not even that old yet. I put it down to a 'mis-speant youth'!! ;o)

I know you posted pictures of your cars recently, but do you think you could show us all a close up picture of your car's c carrier/steering arm arrangement?

I don't ask for much do I?!!

Cheers

Horatio
Old 03-03-2004, 06:18 AM   #7272
Tech Master

Hi Horatio.

Here's one pic, followed by another.

Hope it explains the mod clearer.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jan 04 yoke rs.jpg (125.1 KB, 154 views)
Old 03-03-2004, 06:19 AM   #7273
Tech Master

Here's the second one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jan 04 yoke servo detail.jpg (56.6 KB, 125 views)
Old 03-03-2004, 06:47 AM   #7274
Tech Elite

Johnbull:

Thanks!!

Old 03-03-2004, 08:09 AM   #7275
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

Light weight CGM main chassis, to be availiable in Japan mid March 7200 yen
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote