R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-20-2004, 10:37 PM   #7006
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
those are the suspension mounts for the CGM car. They had to redo them to make room for the bracing on the car. There's also a wide front bumper coming out as well
That's cool, now people wont have to do the Buds bumper mod...
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:41 PM   #7007
Tech Addict

Default CGM Conversion VS RAYSPEED

Im wonder why Yokomo came out with the CGM conversion...Is it actually better than the Black or SSG? It basically looks like a TC3. Anyways im plannin to buy a rayspeed convt would anyone rememend getting the CGM instead?

Last edited by Techart27; 02-20-2004 at 11:11 PM.
Techart27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #7008
Tech Prophet

Default Re: CGM Conversion VS RAYSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by Techart27
Im wonder why Yokomo came out with the CGM conversion...If it actually better than the Black or SSG? It basically looks like a TC3. Anyways im plannin to buy a rayspeed convt would anyone rememend getting the CGM instead?
I've been really happy with my CGM so far, but I was also really happy with my RS double deck car. They drive really similar to eachother on asphault...
Old 02-20-2004, 11:14 PM   #7009
Tech Addict

Does the CGM flex alot? the main reason i want to get the RS is that i dont like the steering on my SSG. Also i dont want to go through the hassle of rotating the servo, also i cant find the servo parts need for the rotation. So CGM and RS is about the same. Now i guess i have to choose whether the looks of the RS is worth the price.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:15 PM   #7010
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Does the CGM flex alot? the main reason i want to get the RS is that i dont like the steering on my SSG. Also i dont want to go through the hassle of rotating the servo, also i cant find the servo parts need for the rotation. So CGM and RS is about the same. Now i guess i have to choose whether the looks of the RS is worth the price.
The CGM is the stiffest car of the 4 different versions, but the heaviest as well.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:24 PM   #7011
Tech Addict

Wow, id never expect that. i would have thought that the upper deck of the RS and the 2 upper decks of the SSG and Black would make them stronger than the CGM.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:34 PM   #7012
Tech Addict

Default Oneway

My oneway is dieing on me. It does roll smoothly anymore. Do i really need to replace the whole oneway?
Old 02-20-2004, 11:50 PM   #7013
Tech Master

Quote:
The parts for the servo mod is already included in the kit. You'll just use the straight arm instead of the "L". I thought it was a hassle too, until I did it. It took me less than 15 minutes including countersinking. I am sure others can do it faster than that. Here is a pic.

Last edited by forty6; 10-17-2007 at 09:20 PM.
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:55 PM   #7014
Tech Master

By the way, if you will be using a Tobee craft shaft you don't have to trim the ear of the servo unless you want to use the center stiffener.

Last edited by forty6; 10-17-2007 at 09:20 PM.
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:28 AM   #7015

Send a message via Yahoo to Hi-LowBrow
Default Re: CGM Conversion VS RAYSPEED

Quote:
Im wonder why Yokomo came out with the CGM conversion...Is it actually better than the Black or SSG? It basically looks like a TC3. Anyways im plannin to buy a rayspeed convt would anyone rememend getting the CGM instead?
Racers who live in Japan going back to the Rayspeed chassis, because it is NOT stiff enough and is not a lot better than WE EXPCTED !! if u run on the asphalt , I highly recommend you to go Rayspeed chassis.
if u run on the carpet, I recommend you to go the CGM.
Hi-LowBrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:05 AM   #7016
Tech Elite

I'm sure the CGM is very good and will appeal to many racers. It's not an expensive car, so it will appeal to those who are on a budget or just starting out, whilst more experienced racers looking to start their next project will be keen to get them too - just look at this thread. For Yokomo fans who have struggled with the SSG on carpet, the CGM is just the ticket without having to resort to the 'depths' of getting a TC3

As an owner of a TC3 'tub' type touring car already, I'm not really that excited about the CGM - but that's not to say I don't think it's any good. I'm still trying to get the best out of my SSG and whilst I'm aware of some of it's obvious flaws (the CGM addresses most of these) I'm fairly certain that the RS Chassis conversion I've got coming will improve my existing car plenty.

As the CGM catches on over here in the UK, I'm sure to go head to head with the CGM cars with my RS fairly soon, so I'll let you all know how I get on. I'm sure Randman will want to know at any rate As soon as the graphite C carriers become available (yawn!!) in the UK, they'll be going on the RS too.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #7017
Tech Apprentice

I'm going to run my CGM at my club today for the first time. I ran it in rough form at the Snowbird's, but had terrible luck in every qual. and the main. I bought a complete kit when I got to Fla., but I used the running gear off my SSG, and ran the new chassis.
I have been top three or four at the club with the SSG, so it will be interesting to see how the CGM does. I'm using Tos's setup except I have the kit front shock tower on. I'll let you know how it does.
Also, anybody have any tip's on where I can find some Suzuki al. front steering block's, I cracked two of the stock one's in Fla. Thank's in advance for any info.

Hank
HENRYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:54 AM   #7018
Tech Prophet

Well Im off for my racing weekend, take care guys.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #7019

Default Re: Oneway

Quote:
My oneway is dieing on me. It does roll smoothly anymore. Do i really need to replace the whole oneway?
You might want to try cleaning the one-way bearings first, using WD-40, then re-oil it with some HUDY one-way bearing oil, or any thin bearing oil. If this doesn't work, it's probably the one-way bearings that are worn out. If so, you can buy the one-way housing by itself (without outdrives or the ring gear) which is a little bit cheaper than buying a whole one-way.

I finally got more practice time with the CGM on Thursday, and eventually came to a similar setup as Tosolini's Novak race setup. I used a top deck on the CGM and that seemed to work well as the chassis is super stiff.

For those running foam I would highly recommend two setup tips. These are from Tosolini's setup sheet, and really seemed to help the car's handling: *First it to run anti-dive, the car was much more stable going into corners.
*And the second tip is to run a shorter rear wheelbase (like 2mm of spacers on the front and rear of the rear arms) this moves the batt weight back a bit, and helped stabilize the rear. Of course, this setup depends on tires, track condition, etc.
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:31 PM   #7020
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

For sale new rayspeed chassis $75 w/ suzuki top mounts for top plate
for sale new Warpspeed chassis $80 3mm made for carpet.

E-mail @ [email protected]