Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-09-2004, 11:47 PM   #6751
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth Tan
Well. thanks anyway.
Just wondering... why is everyone so concerned with the weight on this car, does it really matter that much??
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:57 PM   #6752

Send a message via Yahoo to Hi-LowBrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Just wondering... why is everyone so concerned with the weight on this car, does it really matter that much??
yes, it does, especially for the stock races. that's why I'm still thinking of getting it or not. besides Masami's dad was saying at the YMP web site that we are just trying to loose weight of CGM chassis!!
Hi-LowBrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:01 AM   #6753
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Hi-LowBrow
yes, it does, especially for the stock races. that's why I'm still thinking of getting it or not. besides Masami's dad was saying at the YMP web site that we are just trying to loose weight of CGM chassis!!
I have been running stock for the last 6 months or so before I switched up to mod, and not once did I look at the weight of the car. I think that if the car is dialed, and if the driver is on his game, you can win the race, even if the car is a bit overweight.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:05 AM   #6754
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The term 'Heavier is Better' just doesn't sound right on a racing chassis, toy sized or full sized - rules in R/C would have maximum weight limits instead of the minimum weight limits we have right now (though not every race organiser enforces that).

I also saw in your posts that you have the 9550 servo, fairly small ESC and receiver. I was hoping that IF you or anyone could reveal the CGM's running weight (which you didn't care to, and I respect that), I could roughly estimate how heavy that car would be with my electronics, and probably use that as 1 of the factors in selecting a new ride.
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:15 AM   #6755
Tech Prophet

I know it isnt better to have a heavier car, but I dont think that the difference in weight between my rayspeed car with dual upper deck versus my cgm is enough to make a noticiable difference on the track.

I dont have access to a scale, so I've never taken weight into mind when working on the car.

Look at the Losi sedan, that thing is a tank, and yet it's one of the best cars out there for competition.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:30 AM   #6756
Tech Addict

tweak free definitely sounds nice on a racing chassis

the people at yokomo usa got pissed when my LHS called to order the CGM, don't know what was going on
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:43 AM   #6757
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eeyan Send a message via Yahoo to eeyan

Ouch!!! This happenned during last weekend's race... I TQ'd stock class (yes, only stock!), but ended up with a car in a "body bag" in the A-Main! BEWARE... the stock hubs are THAT soft...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ouch_ssg.jpg (152.7 KB, 205 views)
Old 02-10-2004, 12:57 AM   #6758
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fire,

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to shoot down the CGM. Until just a few days ago, I had an SSG SD, I sold the car less options and spares as I planned to get the CGM.

The chassis weight bugs me because I have normal sized electronics.

Graphite tubs are generally more resistant to flexing, especially when compared with their standard plastic counterparts. How sure are you that the CGM chassis would be tweak free? The TC3 has been out for a couple of years now, and I frequently see on the forums that the TC3 chassis will tweak because of motor heat, and stay tweaked. The CGM and TC3 might not be tweaked because of a collision though.
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:00 AM   #6759
Tech Fanatic

question

eeyan,what do you think about the xxxs losi.i'm planning to get one,and after that the trf 415.
tony q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:07 AM   #6760
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to eeyan Send a message via Yahoo to eeyan
Default Re: question

Quote:
Originally posted by tony q
eeyan,what do you think about the xxxs losi.i'm planning to get one,and after that the trf 415.
TonyQ!!! The Losi should be competitive but got to admit, it's getting old... too many new cars out there these days! As for me, I'm sticking with my SD... just need more tuning time and I think I got it all set... So far so good...
Old 02-10-2004, 01:09 AM   #6761
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: question

Quote:
Originally posted by eeyan
TonyQ!!! The Losi should be competitive but got to admit, it's getting old... too many new cars out there these days! As for me, I'm sticking with my SD... just need more tuning time and I think I got it all set... So far so good...
i'll probably just wait for the pro4.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:12 AM   #6762
Tech Fanatic

by the way,don't forget to build your tao3 for next lamirada race.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:14 AM   #6763
Tech Prophet

I thought all this time that taob was a Tamiya chassis. Chris told me what it means
Old 02-10-2004, 01:37 AM   #6764
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Headbanger
Horatio, Can you give us a summary on what's required to do the blade mod? What do we need to buy? I'm interested in doing it, but I'm confused as what's needed?
Check out page 218 - all the info you should need is there. The only parts you'll need are the blades. Either corally assasin ones (like John bull uses) or RC Lab ones (like the ones in the pictures).

Let us know how you get on.....

Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:35 AM   #6765
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by eeyan
Ouch!!! This happenned during last weekend's race... I TQ'd stock class (yes, only stock!), but ended up with a car in a "body bag" in the A-Main! BEWARE... the stock hubs are THAT soft...
It would be nice to know how it happened (like did you hit anything?) but my own personal experiences with the plastic parts on the Yok SD tell me that the material choice is suspect. I've been pretty lucky with mine - the main drive hubs have never failed - but I carry spares!!

But other failures - in particular with the c-hubs - have been a very real problem. Even the 4134H versions are inconsistent, despite their beefier appearance - I broke one last week without hitting anything - when I looked at it there were air bubbles in the moulding, right at the bottom above where the pin goes through. No wonder it failed.

Now with the graphite parts things seem very much better, especially the wishbones (arms), but unfortunately we STILL can't get the 4134G parts over here in the UK. I've had them on back order for about 2 months now!! What we really need is 4134HG parts

You CGM owners are really spoilt with all those graphite parts - what a shame the conversions are different.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote