Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-09-2004, 09:50 AM   #6721
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally posted by mo
Here is my setup for the CGM in stock from this weekend for anyone who is interested. It is also up on my website. www.mo-net.ws
Hey Mo that seems like a pretty lightweight spring setup. Was that because of the track being bumpy? That is lighter than I recall seeing most run on carpet.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:50 AM   #6722
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mo?

MO.... what's your front shock length? I am also using the short shock ends, but i can't seem to adjust the droop lower than 6. If I use the long shock ends the ride ht. goes way up.

One more question, on the front and rear hub carriers, what happens if you use the upper hinge pin holes?

thanks for the pic of the bumper...

thanks in advance
eklips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #6723
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Jeff, I think it is a definate improvement. You can really tell the difference in the chassis stiffness in the middle of the corners. It still has plenty of traction but isn't overplanted like the more flexible graphite plate chassis. The couple practice runs I got to do with a mod motor were with the exact shocks off of my Rayspeed chassis car and the car was faster and easier to drive. Nobody around here has had a chance to run it on asphalt yet. If the weather stays good around here, I may be able to in a copule weeks.

Wyd, that's actually a little stiffer than I usually run with rubber tires. I usually run Rayspeed Yellows and Blues. The track is a little bumpy in a couple spots, but I usually run the same setup for rubber tires on both asphalt and carpet, unless the traction becomes super sticky.

eklips, I believe my front shocks are 63mm. Running the upper hinge pin mounting holes would effectivly lower the roll center. I have tried running the upper holes on the front caster blocks and I like the lower holes better in just about every situation. They make the car more predictable an more stable.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:11 AM   #6724
Tech Elite

To the best of my knowledge, on a belt drive system friction between belt/pulley actually decreases with RPMs as inertia begins to 'pull' the belt off the pullies and fewer teeth are in full contact. Unfortunately, the actual losses still increase with RPMs because of power sapping oscillations that occur in the belt as a consequence.

This is why we all drive shaft driven cars
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:37 AM   #6725
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I got a chance to run my CGM conversion yesterday at the local parking lot track..

ran the exact same setup as with my 'BLACK' version and the car handled just as good, if not better.. and i too noticed more 'midcorner speed'...

Being my first time (in a long time) in MOD, It got me TQ...
Old 02-09-2004, 11:19 AM   #6726
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

Horatio,

You're right, but if you decrease the linear speed of the belt (for a same overall speed of the wheels), you also decrease the length of belt that needs to be bound to achieve the same angle with the wheel, thus increasing efficiency.

What you state in only true for a same internal ratio.

Besides, I don't run only shaft, I like my belt cars and my 414 is just as fast as my SD, they're just different.
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:28 AM   #6727
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by OSherman
I got a chance to run my CGM conversion yesterday at the local parking lot track..

ran the exact same setup as with my 'BLACK' version and the car handled just as good, if not better.. and i too noticed more 'midcorner speed'...

Being my first time (in a long time) in MOD, It got me TQ...
Sounds good Orlando, I'll get to run mine tomorrow at SoCal. From what I've been told, it's a pretty wide open layout, should be good for my mod motor
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:24 PM   #6728
Tech Adept

Mo, et al:

I am liking the sound of these preliminary results on the CGM...anyone know what, if any, feedback Chris Tosolini had from debuting the car at Snowbirds?
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:27 PM   #6729
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra81li200
Horatio,

You're right, but if you decrease the linear speed of the belt (for a same overall speed of the wheels), you also decrease the length of belt that needs to be bound to achieve the same angle with the wheel, thus increasing efficiency.

What you state in only true for a same internal ratio.

Besides, I don't run only shaft, I like my belt cars and my 414 is just as fast as my SD, they're just different.
Right, I'm with you...I see what you're saying - less speed in the belt enables use of shorter belts/smaller pullies = less drag.

I race belt cars too - but for touring, shaft rules. I say this quite confidently and in my (rather unscientific) comparisons, shaft cars appear to be more efficient AND faster in a straight line. Preds, TC3's and SD's are simply quicker. On a track however, it doesn't always translate into quicker laps times - the belt drives seem to shine in other areas.

Off Road - belt rules. Belt drives seem to soak up shock loadings more readily than shaft drives. I know that Durangos, Preds etc are contenders but they need far more maintenence. I've raced both types and had far greater success with my CAT3000 than my Pred P8. Losi swept the worlds in 1/10 4wd, nuff said - belts are pretty good
Old 02-09-2004, 12:53 PM   #6730
Tech Elite

Just out of interest, I've had a couple of test runs on carpet with my Yok SD with the blades fitted all round.

The most noticeable thing was how much quieter the car is! The SD was pretty quiet to start with (compared to a TC3) but it's definitely quieter still. This has to be a good thing.

The car seems more positive in the throttle department. There is no slop at all in the transmission now.

It's first real test will be at a regional race meeting next Sunday - can't wait!!
Old 02-09-2004, 02:55 PM   #6731
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
Just out of interest, I've had a couple of test runs on carpet with my Yok SD with the blades fitted all round.

The most noticeable thing was how much quieter the car is! The SD was pretty quiet to start with (compared to a TC3) but it's definitely quieter still. This has to be a good thing.

The car seems more positive in the throttle department. There is no slop at all in the transmission now.

It's first real test will be at a regional race meeting next Sunday - can't wait!!
Horatio, Can you give us a summary on what's required to do the blade mod? What do we need to buy? I'm interested in doing it, but I'm confused as what's needed?
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:04 PM   #6732
Tech Prophet

I just got my hardened universals from Speedtech, so my CGM is finished, and ready to rock at SoCal tomorrow
Old 02-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #6733
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
I just got my hardened universals from Speedtech, so my CGM is finished, and ready to rock at SoCal tomorrow
These things are never finished bro... there's ALWAYS something.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:00 PM   #6734
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
These things are never finished bro... there's ALWAYS something.
Well it's finished for now...

I gotta drop some cash into my WRX STi, havent put anything into that for a while...
Old 02-09-2004, 04:31 PM   #6735
Tech Initiate

Can anyone tell me how Steve is getting on with the spool diffs ?
thanks
mark turner is offline   Reply With Quote