R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2004, 12:16 PM   #6046
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

as Cobra I bought the first batch of SDs, with the normal C-Hubs, I 've broken only one since I have the car...but it also depends on your track
There was one where I only broke arms (2)
another where it was front bones only (3!!)
and 2 other ones where I've broken nothing...
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:24 PM   #6047
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a tc3 and Broke 2 arms in 6 month and I had my SD since 6 month and never broke any parts. And I'm faster with the SD.
Hey hey
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #6048
Tech Elite

Dotman and Utieh:

Thank you guys

Common sense will oneday prevail. I love my sport but I know when something aint right.

I love my Yok SD too
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:32 PM   #6049
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I liked my Yok too until I switched to the Rayspeed chassis. The car was great with the stock silver but I've been having a lot of trouble finding a good setup for the Rayspeed. Anyone have a good outdoor asphalt, medium traction setup for the Rayspeed conversion kit?
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:36 PM   #6050
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Hugo
I had a tc3 and Broke 2 arms in 6 month and I had my SD since 6 month and never broke any parts. And I'm faster with the SD.
Hey hey
Dont even go there - trust me. This argument won't wash

Sounds to me like (forgive me if I'm wrong)

1) You got a tc3
2) Learnt how to drive/race
3) Then got a Yok SD

If there's one thing I know, the TC3 is more newbie friendly than a Yok SD, because it's more durable. Period.

I believe the SD is a very quick car though in the right hands. All it needs now is more racers and a better reputation. I'm sticking with mine despite the 'teething' problems.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:46 PM   #6051
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio
Randman

I'm not bitter, I'm just saying it how it is. I still drive a Yok SD. However, lots of guys I know ARE bitter for the reasons I've just mentioned and now drive TC3s - shaft driven cars that don't break just by breathing on them!!

So don't get pissed at me for saying it how it is.

As I recall there was alot of finger pointing from certain people implying the reason why our cars were breaking in the UK was because weren't driving them properly.

What I'm implying is that UK and US kits had different parts from the 'get go' - a notion that you guys just seem to want to ignore.

Time will tell. All that I know is that my car doesn't break any more.
Everyone will break a part if they crash hard enough. I've broken quite a few parts on the SD, but I dont think it's from poor craftsmanship on Yokomo's behalf, I think it's because I made a stupid move on the racetrack.

The fact is that by telling us your woes, you arent getting anywhere, if you want something to happen, you gotta get in contact with Yokomo.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:47 PM   #6052
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Actually, thats a bit of an assumption and entirely wrong - the reason is because I had one of the first kits to arrive in the UK. It didn't get a chance to sit on any shelf
Well if you got the kit before the updated parts were even produced, you cant expect to have them in your kit...
Old 01-20-2004, 01:01 PM   #6053
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Well if you got the kit before the updated parts were even produced, you cant expect to have them in your kit...
What I didn't expect to find was the carriers and arms that were made out of butter. I expected the hubs and arms to be decent straight out of the box........is that too much to ask?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:10 PM   #6054
Tech Prophet

Quote:
What I didn't expect to find was the carriers and arms that were made out of butter. I expected the hubs and arms to be decent straight out of the box........is that too much to ask?
If you think they are made of butter... then you've hit something to break them. I've never seen anyone cruising down the straightaway and just break a part out of nowhere, but I have seen people nail a dot, go flying and have to pull back into the pits to fix their car.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:12 PM   #6055
Tech Elite

Quote:
...The fact is that by telling us your woes, you arent getting anywhere, if you want something to happen, you gotta get in contact with Yokomo.
I've been in contact with CML and CML sponsored drivers, who in turn subsequently told me about the type H and the type G parts, including the arms. The type G arms are waaaay stronger than the standard ones.

Bit by bit, I've got my Yok SD stong, but it's cost some s not to mention championship points. I'm talking on this forum about the good AND bad things pertaining to the Yok SD, just like the rest of you. So things do happen.

I'm not one for sticking my head in the sand and a sign out of my butt stating 'absolutlely, nothing, definitely is wrong - honest' like certain people.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:18 PM   #6056
Tech Elite

Quote:
If you think they are made of butter... then you've hit something to break them. I've never seen anyone cruising down the straightaway and just break a part out of nowhere, but I have seen people nail a dot, go flying and have to pull back into the pits to fix their car.
No - that's not the case at all. My first carrier broke without me hitting anything - that's the truth. The part failed purely due to the vibration caused from a seized driveshaft. On other occassions the carriers failed from side by side contact with other - dare I say it - stronger cars. No flying took place.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:23 PM   #6057
Tech Regular

Enough dissin' alright? Here is the simple truth distibuters don't order until they run low or out. So if there was a difference when you get the new ones, it will depend on the supply when the better parts get in. That is the definintion of how all distribution centers work.
As far as fragility goes, look at the weight difference between the TC3 and the SD. The SD is obviously lighter, mostly because of the chassis graphite plate vs tub. Tub is stronger since it has raised sides. That is design 101. The SD is faster because of the less weight (if it wasn't we would all have TC3s). When you go faster, you will wreck harder. Another = force principle, hello?
This is why you have beginner cars and performance cars. Kinda the difference between Old Tamiya and old AE. Faster will always equal some sacrifice in durability. It's true in real autos. Why do think regular cars use steel bodies and the racer cars use carbon fiber composites and aluminum? Weight saving. In a crash they are actually worse then steel. So if you can't handle breaking parts on a faster car, you need to slow down and learn to drive, or get another car that not as fast but also not as fragile. That is why I'm looking at the SD and XXX-S. Although I'm not sure as being beginner in this class it would be smart for me to have a SD to start. I may just have to work up to it. That's my .02
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #6058
Tech Prophet

It's obvious that neither one of us are going to say the other is right, so we should just stop arguing over it. Fact is that I think the Yokomo is just as strong as some of the other cars out there right now. The parts that I have broken, broke because I did something stupid on the track, or didn't keep up maintenence on a part. If the driveshafts are known to seaze, than they should be maintained at least every raceday as to not break other parts.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #6059
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

The fact is that the first batch in japan had serious breakages of the front axles (only with one ways, but they were provided with one way and no front diff).

I think they fixed the problem now. The thing is that there is no way a car can be tried by as many drivers before being produced than it will be after. Besides, the drivers who drives them are highly skilled, so the conditions of use are definately not the same.

That's the reason why when you buy the first batch of a car, you should be aware of the fact that you may experience some breakage. Now, I think Yokomo have been pretty fast fixing the problem. Look at Tamiya and the TB Evo 3, they still haven't found a decent solution (the square gear box and jurgen's one way are not from tamiya).
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:12 PM   #6060
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by wcoyote
Enough dissin' alright? Here is the simple truth distibuters don't order until they run low or out. So if there was a difference when you get the new ones, it will depend on the supply when the better parts get in. That is the definintion of how all distribution centers work.
As far as fragility goes, look at the weight difference between the TC3 and the SD. The SD is obviously lighter, mostly because of the chassis graphite plate vs tub. Tub is stronger since it has raised sides. That is design 101. The SD is faster because of the less weight (if it wasn't we would all have TC3s). When you go faster, you will wreck harder. Another = force principle, hello?
This is why you have beginner cars and performance cars. Kinda the difference between Old Tamiya and old AE. Faster will always equal some sacrifice in durability. It's true in real autos. Why do think regular cars use steel bodies and the racer cars use carbon fiber composites and aluminum? Weight saving. In a crash they are actually worse then steel. So if you can't handle breaking parts on a faster car, you need to slow down and learn to drive, or get another car that not as fast but also not as fragile. That is why I'm looking at the SD and XXX-S. Although I'm not sure as being beginner in this class it would be smart for me to have a SD to start. I may just have to work up to it. That's my .02
Regards parts: the G version of the front Carriers/hubs are still not available in the UK. The distributors want to get them to shops, the parts just aren't here for some reason. It's got nothing to do with waiting for the 'other' parts to run low or out.

It's got nothing to with the speed, though I agree the TC3 is a better car for novices out of the box - it's more durable. That said, it can hardly be described as slow!! The SD's fragility has nothing to do with it's chassis design - so quit the lectures. If you haven't raced an SD you couldn't possibly know what I am talking about!

I guess I just expected too much from the sexiest looking TC on the market

To be frank with you, and I'm not going to argue - I've been racing for the best part of 20 years and I know a durability issue when I see one. So I'm not a beginner either;o) I am pleased that the problems have been addressed by Yokomo. And I disagree that faster = less durable. The cars we race now are waaay faster and waaay more reliable than in the past - it's called development. If something doesn't work, racers need to say.

Randman:

Don't get me wrong; you are clearly a very clever guy. And no doubt a very good racer too. But the simple truth of the matter is that although I drive clean, my SD has let me down due to failures in the first few meetings. Now that the uprated parts have been fitted, the car is beginning to work far more reliably. The car's quickness has never been an an issue, only certain parts. Regards the driveshafts, after machining them they work fine. What I'm saying is this:the parts were bad. People shouted. Yokomo listened (this time!). Bad parts replaced with good ones. If something aint right, we need to say.