Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Noisy diffs

does anyone else's diffs make noise? i just noticed that mine are smooth but noisy.....is this normal or wrong? i really can't see putting much diff grease in there seeing how most of it ends up getting flung out...any comments on this?
Old 01-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

My diffs are smooth and very quiet. It could be that your diffs aren't tight enough and are 'slipping' when you apply the throttle.

It's difficult to say really unless you are more specific as regards when it happens and what it sounds like.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

well it sounds like a rattling sound....but i checked them and they don't slip. But if yours are quite then i guess theres something wrong with mine. hmmmmmm
Old 01-19-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Noisy diffs

Originally posted by tricklosi
does anyone else's diffs make noise? i just noticed that mine are smooth but noisy.....is this normal or wrong? i really can't see putting much diff grease in there seeing how most of it ends up getting flung out...any comments on this?
The front diff on my car is the same way. Probably just needs a re-build or a different lube. I recently re-built the rear diff with Aero Lube and it sounds fine. You may want to try a thicker diff lube if a lot of it is being flung out. Try Aero Lube or maybe the Niftech Rocket Ring stuff. Actually, I believe the lube that comes with the SD is also thick.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

check the gears, maybe a tooth is chipped.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

done that too....everything looks like it's in working order, the car is fast and smooth....just noisy...
Old 01-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Also does anyone know of a front spool for the SD?
Old 01-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Coyote, it was nice to race with you again... you were very unlucky indeed, but did a wonderful free style manoeuver when you flew above the chicane 7s after the start tone! I think breaking only a rear A-arms actually shows the car is pretty strong... when I broke mine it was also totally normal.
but from what I saw, racing mod fits your style just fine, you did great And thanks for sharing your steering mod with me, I think I'll very soon do it on my car, although it does add a few grams on the car, it is critical in mod, mine seem to be "floating" at neutral indeed. Thanks again!

Horatio and cobra, well thanks for conforting me... I thought I was missing something *really* obvious with that stoopid internal gear ration change... kinda reminds me of the BK pitch idiosyncracies...

Later folks,
Paul
Old 01-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TrickLosi.....I made my own spool by using stock halfs with sand paper in the middle then do it up tight.It works fine although I only run stock
Old 01-19-2004, 04:57 PM

Also does anyone know of a front spool for the SD?
I haven't tried this myself, but I think Tosoline made a spool by taking a one-way and epoxying the outdrives so they couldn't spin. I'd like to try it, but $35 to make a spool is a little expensive. The sand paper diff is a good idea, but I'd worry that in 19T or mod the spool might slip.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by 2Tenths
....The sand paper diff is a good idea, but I'd worry that in 19T or mod the spool might slip.
yes indeed the s-paper diffs begin to slip over time... and if they slip, where does all that sand go?... you guessed it.. directly into your diff.. I found that out the hard way..

so i just bit-the-bullet and bought extra diff parts, some old bushings for the internals and gave it a CA sealing...

it held up good for a few months of hard racing... till open practice one day and one of the 'inexperienced' lost control of their car...

will be building another..
Old 01-19-2004, 09:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

well it sounds like a rattling sound....but i checked them and they don't slip. But if yours are quite then i guess theres something wrong with mine. hmmmmmm
Might be time for a rebuild, I've never heard of that problem...
Old 01-19-2004, 09:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by 2Tenths
I haven't tried this myself, but I think Tosoline made a spool by taking a one-way and epoxying the outdrives so they couldn't spin. I'd like to try it, but $35 to make a spool is a little expensive. The sand paper diff is a good idea, but I'd worry that in 19T or mod the spool might slip.
Hmm, the bearings in my 1 way are goin out, I have to order a new 1 way, but I was gonna throw this one away, now I'll get some use from it...
Old 01-20-2004, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

Default C Carriers 4134H

Guys,

I have checked my old Hub Carriers (4134) side by side with the newer 4134H Hub Carriers and there is a marked difference in the thickness between the 2 types. I'll try and get a photo posted. I'd say between 25 - 30 % thicker!!

It's my hunch that as us Brits always seem to get everything AFTER everyone else, perhaps kits in the US were getting the H version of the Carriers and Arms as standard before UK racers. To the best of my knowledge, all new UK SD kits are getting the new H parts as standard from now on.

End of mystery
Old 01-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

You really are paranoid about Yokomo aren't you?

First off you think that Britain gets faulty driveshafts.

Now you think they hold back updated parts from British cars.

The fact is that when Yokomo make a part - they make a part.

And when Yokomo update a mould - they update a mould.

When they're picking parts in the packing line, they don't care one bit about which nation the car is going to (except for the ball diff/one-way and instruction manuals).

So when the kits get shipped to the US and UK - they're the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.