R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2003, 01:28 AM   #4381
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Arrow Atheena Projects Carpet Chassis and Upper Deck

Here's the first picture of the Atheena prototypes. Main chassis 3.0 mm, upper deck 2.4 mm, high grade carbon fibre. Even without the center stiffener the car feels extremely rigid! More pictures and information will be up on the site within the next couple of days. If you have any questions feel free to ask me and I will try to answer.

Old 11-08-2003, 01:33 AM   #4382
Tech Master

That is one solid looking chassis. Very nice. It looks like a very high quality product. How much is it?

Last edited by forty6; 11-08-2003 at 01:41 AM.
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:40 AM   #4383
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by forty6
That is one solid looking chassis. Very nice. It looks like a very high quality product. How much is it?
That's one question I cannot answer just yet. I believe there will be some information on prices real soon. I will try to find out a.s.a.p.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:03 AM   #4384
Tech Addict

that chassis is nice

one minor thing tho
the upper deck need some styling, it's shape degrades the chassis's image. if the perfect arcs on the side can be replaced by some shape similar to the stock upper deck it will looks much better
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 07:07 AM   #4385
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default Flex, Tweak or whatever.

"This something you have to read from one of the head guys at Schumacher.
Keep in mind that stiffer is not always better. The stiffest car available now is the Graphite XXX-S. However the really fast team guys all mill holes and slots all over it to get it to flex more.

On some tracks Factory AE drivers run a graphite chassis with almost all the ribs milled out so the car flexes more and generates more grip

Factory Xray drivers all run the Raycer molded chassis (a stiff version you can't buy right now) that flexes more the and Evo 2 Carbon chassis because the car is faster everywhere like that. The also have 4 diffrent top decks. A stock stiff deck and 3 pregressively more flexy decks. Most of the factory drivers run the 2 softer decks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Martinez
Sales Manager Schumacher USA
[email protected]"

This is not only a topic of conversation with us Yok drivers, but with everyone. The chassis flex and tweak problems will never be 100% eliminated, so let us understand this.
I too have purchased my Rayspeed chassis, and have noticed the changes, and will be racing it on CARPET. I just wanted something different. Let me now what you think of this post, also Schumacher's corner has a bunch of post's from Adrian on this topic.
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 08:02 AM   #4386

Kentech: I had a couple of questions about the new chassis: The top deck looks like it uses countersunk screws, is this right? Also: Have you considered designing the chassis to use the Rayspeed steering system? I believe many people will agree with me that the RS steering (it comes with the RS ultimate conversion) is much better than the kit steering. It would be neat if this Atheena carpet chassis also used the RS steering.
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 08:14 AM   #4387
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

My biggest gripe with the stock chassis is that it tweaks and stays that way...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 08:26 AM   #4388
Tech Fanatic

2Tenths: Yes, the prototype top deck uses counter-sunk screws. However, if testing reveals any problems with this configuration then the production chassis will not use counter-sunk screws. The Rayspeed steering system has been considered and is still being considered.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:41 AM   #4389
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by KilRuf
Not mine. But then again it didn't matter because I sanded my edges anyways. Not to mention battery slots.
Very true, I did the same Just looked pretty messy out of the package.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 09:42 AM   #4390
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Atheena Projects Carpet Chassis and Upper Deck

Quote:
Originally posted by kentech
Here's the first picture of the Atheena prototypes. Main chassis 3.0 mm, upper deck 2.4 mm, high grade carbon fibre. Even without the center stiffener the car feels extremely rigid! More pictures and information will be up on the site within the next couple of days. If you have any questions feel free to ask me and I will try to answer.
Do you know what the weight of that car is as compared to stock?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:45 AM   #4391
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by vtl1180ny
My biggest gripe with the stock chassis is that it tweaks and stays that way...
I gotta agree with that
Old 11-08-2003, 10:39 AM   #4392
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200
Default Re: Flex, Tweak or whatever.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vr6vroom
"This something you have to read from one of the head guys at Schumacher.
Keep in mind that stiffer is not always better. The stiffest car available now is the Graphite XXX-S. However the really fast team guys all mill holes and slots all over it to get it to flex more.

On some tracks Factory AE drivers run a graphite chassis with almost all the ribs milled out so the car flexes more and generates more grip

Factory Xray drivers all run the Raycer molded chassis (a stiff version you can't buy right now) that flexes more the and Evo 2 Carbon chassis because the car is faster everywhere like that. The also have 4 diffrent top decks. A stock stiff deck and 3 pregressively more flexy decks. Most of the factory drivers run the 2 softer decks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Martinez
Sales Manager Schumacher USA
[email protected]"

This is not only a topic of conversation with us Yok drivers, but with everyone. The chassis flex and tweak problems will never be 100% eliminated, so let us understand this.
I too have purchased my Rayspeed chassis, and have noticed the changes, and will be racing it on CARPET. I just wanted something different. Let me now what you think of this post, also Schumacher's corner has a bunch of post's from Adrian on this topic.

I totally agree with that, and I've posted something like that on the 414 9or 4150 thread last week, because lots of people thinks a countersink top deck is the solution to all tzeak issues. It is not and a stiffer chassis is not the solution also.

While I agree on the fact that it should be stiff, a too stiff chassis can lead to a very hard to setup and drive car. Look at the Scumacher axis 2, it has turnbuckles instead of a top deck, thus no tweak issues, and nobody can say it's not a fast car...

From my experience, the SSG chassis is just as stiff as you can want. If you want it stiffer, then go for the graphite gear boxes. The "tweak issue" about the SD is just because of the mass balance of the car. The servo mod along with the transponder besides the servo is enough to get an almost perfect balance (18 g of difference between front left and front right, nothing anybody else than M. Hirosaka or "The Champ" can notice).

And look at Masami's car, it's a GSG, so it's just the same as the original SSG. The top deck allows him to change the stiffness, but not to the point of having an hyper rigid chassis.
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 10:46 AM   #4393
Tech Prophet

I think in this car, a stiffer chassis is part of the solution though. The stock SD chassis' flexes too much to be good, because it allows everything to shift under the screws, and that causes tweak in the car. I run on high traction asphault, so in my case, a stiffer car is the better way to go, for those on low traction surfaces, a car that flexes may be the way to go. Maybe a turnbuckle upper deck is a good idea, because there would be nothing to hold the tweak in the chassis. The team drivers are running a stiffer chassis than you'd think, Masami does have the GSG, but who knows what material is underneath the gold, I'd highly doubt it's the same stuff you get in the SSG...
Old 11-08-2003, 10:52 AM   #4394
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The tweak problem is not really the imbalance, I don't believe that the servo mod or even moving things around would help. I'm starting to lean towards the top stifner being 3 seperate pieces. 2 pieces tie the trannies to the steering and motor mount independantly and a seperate piece to tie it all together. Maybe even a turnbuckle between the motor mount and steering. If you take a hard hit the car twists and it stays that way. I've got an Integy tweak board that doesn't lie... I've also noticed that those tiny little hex head screws suck at holding the top deck in place, counter sink them or not, you can't tighten them with enough force to keep the deck in place without running the risk of stripping the heads... All these new cars are going to these tiny little button head screws to save weight and they all just suck... I've got the titanium ones and they are a little better...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 11:40 AM   #4395
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

The best way to get a well balanced car is to get the same weight left and right on each wheel. If not, the car will not feel the same turning left and right thus giving the feeling of a tweaked car.

For having tried the car with the same setup without and then with the servo mod, I can tell you there is a huge difference. There is only 8 g of difference between the left and the right side of my car, and I have NO tweak problems with it, even after several crashes, I repeat for me the car is perfectly balanced now.

Concerning Masami's ride, if he was looking for the stiffer chassis available, he would not use GSG. Even a higher quality one would not be as stiff as its black equivqlent.
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote