R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-11-2003, 11:16 AM   #3721
Tech Master

i just built my yokomo sd and it all went together perfect.
the only thing is that the standard shimming for the diffs seems very tight.
if i took some out could i run into problems with gears being stripped?
thanx
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:01 PM   #3722
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

2Tenths, I just got an integy tweak board so this is how I'm noticing this... I've always noticed that the car tended to launch to the right a lot, I put it on the tweak board and it seems to be carrying a bit more weight on the right rear... My motor side is weighing in more than my battery side is... Go figure??
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:08 PM   #3723
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by vtl1180ny
2Tenths, I just got an integy tweak board so this is how I'm noticing this... I've always noticed that the car tended to launch to the right a lot, I put it on the tweak board and it seems to be carrying a bit more weight on the right rear... My motor side is weighing in more than my battery side is... Go figure??
when I'm not using GPs my balance is OK.....
I installed the Rayspeed chassis and it seems to be a little bit better, only the rear is not perfectly balanced.
I had very good results using this chassis and its recommended set up today
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:34 PM   #3724
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Now that's the way I do it hey 2 tenth How are you ?
Old 10-11-2003, 12:43 PM   #3725
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by trf racer
if i took some out could i run into problems with gears being stripped?
thanx
If you keep the shimming sensible, with only a tiny amount of gear backlash you shouldn't have any problems. I run 2 shims on the input gear, and both diff shims on the opposite site to the diff gear. No problems so far, but I only run stock with 2 diffs.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 01:09 PM   #3726
Tech Elite

I don't like to have to crank up the preload unevenly to try to weight the other side of the chassis... I have some lead weights, going to see is I can get it more balanced, reasonably, with the lead...
Old 10-11-2003, 01:42 PM   #3727
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Re: un-wieighted chassis ??

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger
I have the black SD chassis and today I went to speedworld to practice with it today. The first thing I did last night and today was to balance out the chassis ( same length shocks, droop at 6mm front and 4mm in the rear, 5mm ride hieght on both ends ), and radio calibrated for esc and steering. The first thing I notice about the car was that it would understeer ( push ) when I made a right turn and oversteer when I made a left turn. This was driving me crazy so I checked everything again. The only way I can drive the car was to finess it through the corners. But, even though I drove the car like this, it still understeered when I made a right turn.

At the end of the day, I came to a conclusion that my chassis was tweaked. I went into Billy's hobbyshop and noticed that they had a new SSG chassis on the wall. When I was about to tell Billy the problem I had with the SD, he took the words out of my mouth before I could say anything. Billy replied, " hummm, SD. Right turn push and left turn oversteer. " I said, " Yup, your exactly right Billy. " He said it not the chassis, but the car. He has one also I was told.

So, for all you yokomo fans that have this car, did your car do this and if so, what did you do about it ?? I was thinking about adjusting the preload on the shocks to balance out the chassis or wiegh the car down by statigically putting down 1/4 oz lead wieghts some where on the chassis. Ever notice all of the wieght that Masami's gold SSG has ?? Anyways, let me know guys. Thanks in advance.
vtl1180ny: I had a previous post about that issue also.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:59 PM   #3728

OVA - I'm doing good. I got to run my new Trinity Switchblade yesterday (Friday night) at Rain. We actually had enough for a class, so 3 of us ran 12th scale. The Switchblade is good, very smooth handling, but I think my motor lacked some punch. I also have weird Ackerman on that car because I moved the servo back.

vt: That is weird. What battery are you running? I always run GP3300s which are heavy, and that's why I add weights to the motor side. Remember that tweak boards can be off if they are unbalanced or the wheels are not exerting equal pressure from the shock springs. When you put the car on the board, try taking the wheels off, maybe. I still like the allen wrench method .

Another way to balance the chassis is with electronics placement. If you do in fact need more weight on the batt side, try moving the transponder or receiver over to that side. For example, I ran the receiver attached to the batt strap (in order to move it away from the servo, esc and graphite plate) but realized it messed up the balance, so I moved it back over.
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 02:24 PM   #3729
Tech Elite

You know what???

I wish they'd give each manufacturer it's on forum with each car having a sub forum here... I know I've read the majority of this post, but trying to find something a thousand posts back isn't easy...

I'm going to go sit down at my kitchen table in a bit and screw with the car... I may even take out my 4' levels and level the kitchen table first and do all the work on my Hudy board... I'm going back to square one and resetting everything...

But... Roger, i have the same issues... I'll figure out something by the end of the night... Hopefully...
Old 10-11-2003, 08:30 PM   #3730
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ran the Rayspeed conversion today and was very pleased. I didn't have to preload the shocks unevenly and the car didn't tweek once all day long, very consistent handling. I think alot of it can be attributed to the counter sunk topdeck
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 09:17 PM   #3731
Tech Fanatic

The car looked great today Matt, you finally got a clean and good run in the main. MO's car was looking good too. What Rayspeed pistons are you guys going to use for carpet on Saturday?
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:34 PM   #3732
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks James, it seems for the past month or two I either have bad luck or I brain fade in a good run, I finally held it together. I've got the smallest hole rayspeed pistons (don't remember if that's 1 or 3) with 40 in the front and 30 in the rear to start with. Between me and Mo we should have some kind of base setup after this weekend to go off of for carpet.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361

Last edited by Matt Howard; 10-11-2003 at 10:43 PM.
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 01:46 AM   #3733
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm probably going to start with Rayspeed #2 pistons, 650 oil in front and 550 in rear with Associated copper springs.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:11 AM   #3734
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default flip the servo 90 degree

Hi,

is there a noticable difference in handling if I flip the servo ?

Thinking of doing it.
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 04:13 AM   #3735
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by trf racer
Just follow the manual. Then, run the car for a short while.
It will be fine after which.
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote