Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2003, 02:08 PM   #3241
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Battery mounting...

Quote:
Originally posted by IH
Hi,

I had a race today and the car was really great. But after a major impact the batteries came loose. This happened to me and another SD-Driver. It seems like the plastic of the mount is too soft and therefore it will bend up under heavy loads. Are there any alternatives e.g. battery straps

I had the same problem with a pack which didn't have shrink plastic thing around each cell, now I bought the tobee retainer.
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 05:59 PM   #3242

The Tobee battery braces are great. They keep the cells from moving as much and are fairly lightweight. I've noticed a battery seating problem too, but only with SMCs. The SMC 3300 cells come with shink wrap on them, but then they put the label on top of the wrap. So, if you try to cover the label with a second layer of shrink wrap (to protect it) there are now two layers and the cells are too large to fit well in the chassis, if you are running the Tobee braces. Since I like the braces a lot though, I just run the layer the cell comes with and let the labels take a beating. I think the fit is worth it.

I was wondering about filing techiniques for battery slots. I've been filing them by hand so that the finish is precise and clean, but this can take up to 4 hours. Is there a way to get good results using a Dremel so the filing takes less time?
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 08:33 PM   #3243
Tech Master

You can use Dremel if you like, but you would end up with rounded corners if you went all the into corner, grinding away more material, than filing by hand. I filed my chassis using a very coarse hand file for about an hour, and came out with clean results. If you use a hand file, always clean out the surface so that file does not get clogged up with graphite.
rc_bam226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 01:11 AM   #3244
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Anyone interested in a brand new S9451 with the ear cut to fit underneath the shaft? PM me...
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:29 AM   #3245
IH
Tech Adept

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I will order the Tobee part. Hope it fixes the problem.

Mo: What is the part number of the RPM ball cups that you use?

Greets,
IH
IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:44 AM   #3246
Tech Initiate

Default Potential motor mount mod

Since it is still more difficult to reinstall the motor, I was looking for an easier solution and thought about dremelling out slots on the upper edges of the screw slots so the screws could be dropeed in from above, already attached to the motor (see sketch ).

Anyone try anything like this?
Will there be an integrity issue with the aluminum being cut?
You guys think it would work?

I just want to get some other opinions before I start cutting up perfectly good pieces.
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 12:27 PM   #3247
Tech Regular

Default Re: Potential motor mount mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Rampant
Since it is still more difficult to reinstall the motor, I was looking for an easier solution and thought about dremelling out slots on the upper edges of the screw slots so the screws could be dropeed in from above, already attached to the motor (see sketch ).

Anyone try anything like this?
Will there be an integrity issue with the aluminum being cut?
You guys think it would work?

I just want to get some other opinions before I start cutting up perfectly good pieces.
I use a 2.5mm ball-hex driver for the motor screws and don't have that hard a time mounting/unmounting to justify a mod like the one you are suggesting. Nice diagram though. IMHO, I think after you make the cut, the mount may not be strong enough and a big hit might send your motor flying.
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #3248
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't have any problems with using my stock motor mount. It's pretty easy actually. I think the main problem with using what you are suggesting would be that sometimes the washers might interfere with trying to guide the motor thru the slots that you suggest cutting. Especially if the motor screws aren't long enough. I dunno, give it a try and let us know!
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 05:20 PM   #3249
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by IH
Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I will order the Tobee part. Hope it fixes the problem.

Mo: What is the part number of the RPM ball cups that you use?

Greets,
IH
They are the Blue Heavy Duty ball cups:
73375 Heavy Duty Rod Ends (12) 4-40 - Blue

The shanks are a bit longer that the Yokomo ball cups so I cut a little off the ends so they can be adjusted shorter if you need to.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:50 PM   #3250
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Potential motor mount mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Rampant
Probably not a good idea. Once you have the slot cut, you cannot
place your motor at the slot position. That might limit your gearing
in future.

I would like to see a precision motor mount that is adjustable by screws for precise adjustment, sort of the tools holder of a motor
lathe.

something like the
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 10:52 PM   #3251
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to TC3Racer67

what exacly is a one way? i thought I knew, but i guess i don't...
TC3Racer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 02:08 PM   #3252

A one way differential lets the front tires spin freely when no throttle is being applied. It also prevents the tires from moving backwards. A center one way allows the whole front diff spin freely without throttle.
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:13 PM   #3253
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Anyone have any pics or know where I can see some pics of the SD with the servo mounted across the chassis like they were doing on the SP? I notice that the servo won't mount with the servo mounts as they hit the lower center deck brace. Do most just take it out? My other option is just to use shoe-goo and mount my servo that way. I have done that in the past and it never comes loose.

I did see a few pics but it is hard to tell as they had the toplate on and I couldn't see very well.

Thanks
Brian
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:43 PM   #3254
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by wyd
use shoe-goo and mount my servo that way. I have done that in the past and it never comes loose.
I beleive that the inner mount has to be removed. Shoe-goo is the best option if you're not comfortable with drilling new holes in your chassis.

E

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:30 PM   #3255
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Hey guys, I'd like to say that I'm the proud owner of a brand new Yokomo... So far I'm extremely happy with it (nock on wood...) I'll be running it on 2 different carpet tracks this winter... I'll post some pics of my new CLK body as soon as I find my camera...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote