R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-14-2003, 02:37 PM   #2971
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

the molded chassis is not a rumor, it just wasn't known if it was going to be a rayspeed or yokomo part. I don't know if there's any pics yet and the last I heard the release date was "late summer, early fall"
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:15 PM   #2972
Tech Adept

I've been driving the yokomos for queit a few years already i dont have problem of breaking the car. Its not the Car its the Driver for gosh sakes its a great car . Ive drove so many cars TC3 STR4 XXXs Etc. But i still go to yokomo , R2 looks like a great car with alot of potention but still no matter what cars come out and hop up and all that crud youll still see me with a Smile With Yokomo. If you breaking parts maybe you need to learn how to drive better and all you R2 guy get out of Yokomo SD thread Its not for bashing and complaining how ez it break or any of that stuff. Just learn how to drive better. BTW i only broke one part off the yokomo SD it was my fault for not thread locking it you see me drive i drive crazy and some times safe but over all i just Drive and not complain. Dont Get Butt hurt :-P
Yokomo_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 06:04 PM   #2973
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Yokomo_King - I never intended to bash the SD, just stating the facts that I have found from my experience. Look at my post count on this thread, and you can see that I am a huge contrubutor to the SD thread, and know as much as anyone does about the car. I switched to the R2 because I had only heard good things about it, and I am sticking with it because everything I heard has become true. As for crashing, I dont have a problem with crashing hard, I rarely crash. I am nowhere near a novise driver, just came back from Hitec with a 4'th place A-Main finish in Expert Stock. Please dont tell me to get out of the SD thread, I am as welcome as you are.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 06:33 PM   #2974
Tech Addict

King when you coming to socal agian, I got some power for the yok of yours I talk to someone and got some good gearing.
teamAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 08:37 PM   #2975
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

JohnBull... I had to add weight to my SD just to make it legal!! I think mine now weights 1527. I think the Roar limit is what.. 1525? I have Ti screw kit... front oneway.. Aluminium front input shaft.. I think I had the rear one in too. But I don't like the rear Aluminium input shaft. It warped too easy on me. So I got the Ti rear input shaft and kept the front Aluminium input shaft. I also ran Team Suzuki front Aluminium spindles. Takeoff CS27 premounts. Hmmm no front sway bar, but had a rear one on. Hmmm body shells paint jobs might have something to do if you have heavy or elaborate paint sceams. skeem.. i dunno. One factor though is I ran stock. So that is lighter right there. Another factor is I did not run the center brace. And one other factor would be my servo.... Futaba 9550. Hmmmm so maybe now that I think of it... maybe the car is heavy? haha... All I know is I had to add 27gm to make it legal... Oh yeah, rear Aluminium bones, and front Ti axles.....

Anyways, I hope I can get ahold of these new Ray Speed shock towers and the Tub chassis before Cleveland race. Anyone here goin? Just curious. I went last year, it was fun. This time maybe I'll have my stuff together and can qualify decent. Well let me run.....

Oh yeah, anyone try one of the setups from Yok site mounting the rear shocks on the lower body mounting hole? I like the way my car handles now with this setup. Here's a pic.

JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 09:09 PM   #2976
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I tried that rear shock mounting a couple of weeks ago and it didn't suit my driving AT ALL. I really couldn't tell where it was hurting my times but the car just felt like crap.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:44 PM   #2977
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by KilRuf
JohnBull... I had to add weight to my SD just to make it legal!! I think mine now weights 1527. I think the Roar limit is what.. 1525? I have Ti screw kit... front oneway.. Aluminium front input shaft.. I think I had the rear one in too. But I don't like the rear Aluminium input shaft. It warped too easy on me. So I got the Ti rear input shaft and kept the front Aluminium input shaft. I also ran Team Suzuki front Aluminium spindles. Takeoff CS27 premounts. Hmmm no front sway bar, but had a rear one on. Hmmm body shells paint jobs might have something to do if you have heavy or elaborate paint sceams. skeem.. i dunno. One factor though is I ran stock. So that is lighter right there. Another factor is I did not run the center brace. And one other factor would be my servo.... Futaba 9550. Hmmmm so maybe now that I think of it... maybe the car is heavy? haha... All I know is I had to add 27gm to make it legal... Oh yeah, rear Aluminium bones, and front Ti axles.....

Anyways, I hope I can get ahold of these new Ray Speed shock towers and the Tub chassis before Cleveland race. Anyone here goin? Just curious. I went last year, it was fun. This time maybe I'll have my stuff together and can qualify decent. Well let me run.....

Oh yeah, anyone try one of the setups from Yok site mounting the rear shocks on the lower body mounting hole? I like the way my car handles now with this setup. Here's a pic.

wouldn't it been easier just to drill a whole on the body post? I was going to do that setup before I sold my SD...

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:02 PM   #2978
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by CIVIC91
I seem to be on the other side of the fence. I owned the Cuda and still own the SD....I had them both at the same time, so I was able to do a lot of back to back testing. I have to say that the Cuda is a cool car and it seems like others have good results with it, but I had very mixed results. I bought a Cuda on the first shipment....spent several days very meticulously building it taking note of all the tricks with the sanding of the gears and shimming that was posted on the Cuda board. I then got the Pal system for running mod. I then spent quite a bit of time in stock form running the car....it seemed to handle well, nothing fantastic, but good. It did seem to carry good corner speed, but thats to be expected with a oneway. The car also did freewheel for 8-10 sec.....but in my experieince that seems to amount for about 1% or less increase in performance...maybe a slight advantage in runtime, but that never has been proven to me either. Then I put the Pal system on along with the swaybars and offset balls in the rear. Well not only did it bind the drivetrain up a lot more, it wobbled. Then first problem...a very annoying one...stripped oneway gears...with tiny taps....3 of them in 2 weekends!! Then, with gear mesh right!!, stripped the spur. Lots of problems on a supposedly rock solid drive line...enter the SD

I built this car exactly per instructions....no special sanding. Only slight shimming change and ......viola...just as free, actually more free than the Cuda...And it handled awesome. I have raced this car since it first came out and have broke zero suspension parts. Only thing I have broke were the axles, only because I didn't flat spot the pins and re-tighten...Now the car is rock solid, and with a oneway carries just as much speed as the Cuda....and no gear issues either! Now I'm not saying the Cuda is a bad car...it's a good car...but to me the SD is an easier to work on, easier to get support, and less breakage than the Cuda...but thats in my hands....the SD will be in my garage for a while!!!

Well put....everybody can`t all drive or build the same car the same.. everyone will have problems with one brand or another... ... You can stick to your SD because that what you are comfortable with

and I`ll stick with the Barracuda`s ...
Both Cars "ROCK" and Both cars can be set up to perform at the same level....
at least there not a TC-3 or EVOIII j/k

just my 2.437 Yen
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:08 PM   #2979
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Easier? Not really, easier for me to take some dikes (diagnol cutters for you other people.. haha) and make 2 snips. That's it!

As for setup, I actually posted 1 sec faster than my fastest TQ time. So it's helped me somewhat. I just prefer the way this setup ran on my car. Although my setup isn't the same as the Setup on the Yok site, I was just referring to the shock mounting. Hmmmm, more playing around I guess. I did switch from 40wt #3 piston from old setup to 30wt #2 piston with this mounting. Plus the shock is longer with this mounting as well. Also... no rear swaybar as apposed to my old setup with swaybar. Basically a whole new setup. Did you just switch mounting location without any other changes? Just curious....

Well let me get back to surfing... seems I can't access some websites.... their servers must be located in NYC...
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:22 PM   #2980
Tech Adept

Team AE hehe its probally my gearing thats going around at socal cuz ive been trying alot of gearing configuration and its been fun I would be pleased to try out your Gearing. You will see my flamming turtle body :-) hahha im doing a new paint scheme to all the bodys i have right noiw so yeah Umm how would i know its you?
Yokomo_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:22 PM   #2981
Tech Adept

Default Rayspeed Springs/Cups

Hi! All,

Just picked up the Rayspeed springs and cups and am having trouble getting my ride height lower than 7mm at the 62.5mm shock length.

I have my collars adjusted flush and still, no go.

Does anyone know how I can get more play without affecting shock length?

Thanks.
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 05:44 AM   #2982
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Look at my post count on this thread, and you can see that I am a huge contrubutor to the SD thread, and know as much as anyone does about the car.
And how many times did you actually RACE the car? One meeting wasn't it?

Huge post count doesnt equal "contribution". One RACE meeting doesn't equal "knowledge".

So you're a quick driver - so what? Shouting down the SD after limited RACING doesn't help anyone. I've had trouble getting my SD to work the way I want, but I'm sticking with it (because I can't afford another car, and I know it's a quality product), and I'm confident it will come good.

But you're very welcome in the SD thread as far as I'm concerned. Every debate needs two sides, as long as people are honest and reasonable.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 06:31 AM   #2983
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

I recently switched from 50wt oil and #2 pistons with orange and green springs to a much softer setup....When I first got my SD it was pushing with a soft setup...so I went to a stiffer setup and it seemed to help. Now that I have had more wheel time I tried a softer setup and MAN! what a difference.....I now run 30wt oil with #3 pistons and pink springs all around. I also run a oneway and the rear tower up front, although I've got the shock mounted in the inner most hole now....With this change and I a otherwise stock setup the car is on rails. I run mainly CS32-27 premounts and have only changed the rear toe to 2 toe in. It really seems to carry gobs of cornerspeed, and suprisingly doesn't roll too much...which is what I expected with the softer setup.

One question....does Yok make a stiffer swaybar set for the lower mounts?? I know they have the 3 bar set for the front upper mount, but I would like to stick with the lower and just up the stiffness slightly...
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:00 AM   #2984
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Sorry if I upset people with my comments on Cudas, but it is Cuda service I am complaining about not Cudas themselves. I can't complain about them - I've never even seen one.

SD SET UPS.

If you take a look in the CML website you will see that Britain's top 3 Yokomo drivers run almost identical set ups, wherever they run.

When I ran my car in stock (21 turn) towards the end of our season, I had it set up very soft and springy - shocks inclined right over, plenty of body roll, etc.

You can do this in stock but you can't get away with it so easily in mod which I run now. I have copied the Rogers - Grainger - Robson set ups and the car is working very well indeed.

My latest problem now is cooking motors. With a 12 turn limit we are winding things up so much that armatures are starting to fly apart.

One lesson I have learnt. Although a 3300 pack will run for 7 minutes with a 12 turn motor, always stop after your five minutes is up, for that's when you cook your motors.

KILRUF.

Our weight limit is 1500 grams. That's why I'm complaining.

Does anyone know if Yoke will be producing graphite arms, hubs, diff cases etc in the near future. We could certainly do with the weight saving.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:31 AM   #2985
Tech Fanatic

Civic- Yes there is a stiffer sway bar. If you order the spare swaybar set (part # SD-412) it comes with 4 different sway bars:
softest to hardest:
black
silver (comes with the car)
gold
copper
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote