Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 12:54 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I am so surprised when I read about people complaining that the SD breaks easily. Is this an SD information thread or an SD bashing thread!

I run 4 to 6 packs every day with mine, on a fast and uncompromising asphalt track, which is surrounded by a brick wall, and the cars are getting quicker with every test session.

In the 4 or 5 months that I have had my 2 SDs I have broken 1 front tower and 1 rear wishbone, and both in heavy accidents which would have reduced most other cars to scrap heaps.

My only complaint about the SD is that it is heavy. Hopefully Yokomo will solve that when they introduce graphite parts to replace the present plastic.

I haven't driven a Cuda since it seems as though Europe is taboo for this car, so I can't say much about it except that I may have had one if Alex Racing were interested in selling cars!

On the other hand, in Europe 2 cars seem to be doing most of the winning, the TC3 and the SD so I'm quite happy with what I've got. There is a very good exchange of information on both.

KENTECH.

Thanks for the info about next year's Euros. Unfortunately Sweden is a bit too far for us, so we will have to wait till they come nearer home. Good luck anyway.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

john bull- have you tried the Tobee aluminum front and rear input shafts? they take off quite a bit of weight and improve acceleration alot too. The Ti screw kit from yokomo for the car takes off quite a bit of weight as well.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

guys any idea which brands of screws is the best???

Square??
SpeedMind???
Yokomo???

thanx
Old 08-14-2003, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

MATT HOWARD.

Yes, I have both the Tobee input shafts and titanium screws all round, as well as the Yokomo graphite centre shaft, and alloy driveshafts, yet with 3300 cells and moulded inserts I can't get it much under 1540 grams, even without the one way, which is heavy.

Running tyres with foam inserts brings the weight down to around 1520. Those 3300 GP cells are great but so heavy!

Oh, and that's without the middle deck too.

I'm sure it will come right once Yoke produce the graphite arms, gear cases, hubs, etc.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I seem to be on the other side of the fence. I owned the Cuda and still own the SD....I had them both at the same time, so I was able to do a lot of back to back testing. I have to say that the Cuda is a cool car and it seems like others have good results with it, but I had very mixed results. I bought a Cuda on the first shipment....spent several days very meticulously building it taking note of all the tricks with the sanding of the gears and shimming that was posted on the Cuda board. I then got the Pal system for running mod. I then spent quite a bit of time in stock form running the car....it seemed to handle well, nothing fantastic, but good. It did seem to carry good corner speed, but thats to be expected with a oneway. The car also did freewheel for 8-10 sec.....but in my experieince that seems to amount for about 1% or less increase in performance...maybe a slight advantage in runtime, but that never has been proven to me either. Then I put the Pal system on along with the swaybars and offset balls in the rear. Well not only did it bind the drivetrain up a lot more, it wobbled. Then first problem...a very annoying one...stripped oneway gears...with tiny taps....3 of them in 2 weekends!! Then, with gear mesh right!!, stripped the spur. Lots of problems on a supposedly rock solid drive line...enter the SD

I built this car exactly per instructions....no special sanding. Only slight shimming change and ......viola...just as free, actually more free than the Cuda...And it handled awesome. I have raced this car since it first came out and have broke zero suspension parts. Only thing I have broke were the axles, only because I didn't flat spot the pins and re-tighten...Now the car is rock solid, and with a oneway carries just as much speed as the Cuda....and no gear issues either! Now I'm not saying the Cuda is a bad car...it's a good car...but to me the SD is an easier to work on, easier to get support, and less breakage than the Cuda...but thats in my hands....the SD will be in my garage for a while!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Okay, I am going to agree with JohnBull on this one. Either this thread is for SD drivers looking for support and or quesitons, this string was not meant to bash the car!! Either start a new thread and do all the bashing there, instead of making people who enjoy the chassis feel bad for what they have, why they have it, and so on. This hobby or sport is not cheap by any stretch of the word for the weekend racer or the part time one, and its puts damper on racing when individuals put down what others have and enjoy. It's unfair and should be stopped here and now.

Last edited by rc_bam226; 08-14-2003 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Default Wow, Cuda owners on SD thread

I too own a both cars, the Cuda is a good car , but nothing spectacular, at least not enough to give up my SD. I had to spend additional $80 on top of the price of the kit to make the car work just the way I like it. And yes, the alu shaft holders are a must, it should have been included in the kit!!!!. Some Cuda owners will tell you that you don't have to buy it, but 99% of them including myself have it. Go figure. As a Cuda owner, I don't think bashing another car is right. They are both good cars each with its own pros and cons. Guys, let's just keep it clean, informative, and most of all fun. Just my .02.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Anyways..back to the topic of discussion.. SD!
Old 08-14-2003, 08:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

i also have a yok sd, and im very pleased so far,i also read this whole thread starting at page 1 and ending here, my god i feel like ive been through the soap opra from hell. ive read post were peaple started of saying the sd was the best thing since warm apple pie and then some pages latter the sd is the biggest pile of junk. the seems to be a couple of helpful peaple mostly matt & mo and a few others but for the most part there seems to be a lot of part timers and non racers , and as for the yoke being fragile, any racer knows that you can and will break parts when racin it just happens , you can lesson your chances if you try not to hit anything and keep a heads up. i myself have broken many parts over my 18 years of r/c racing its a calculated risk, now remeber this yoke is fairley new and im glad there is a new car for all of us to enjoy , is it the best car out there? dont know only time will tell, every car can be improved on, most have been out quite awile in the end with the help of imput from there team drivers(thats one of the reasons they have team drivers)they will get this car sorted out just look at the tcs and losi there was plenty of nay sayers when they came out now look at them there at the top of the game, well in closing give the yoke a chance im sure it will rise to the top. just my two cents ---The Warpainter---
Old 08-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Another important point on the SD's durability, any car's duribility actually, is the amount of time you have had setting up the car. If your car is not set up well for your track, you will have trouble driving it, controlling it, and this will lead to the crashes which break parts and cost money. My first time with the SD I broke an arm, two front axles, etc, but now that I have the car set up well and am used to the track layout I have yet to break a single part due to an accident. If you buy any new car out there you need time to figure it out, and after having my SD for about 3 monthes, I'm convinced it is one of the best touring cars available. Any of the top cars have great potential, Yokomo, Xray, Associated, Losi, Alex, Schumacher, Corally.......................... you get the picture.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

collrcdad i second that motion
Old 08-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Breaking parts is part of racing. If you hit the wall at 15-20 mph do you realy think that the car shouldn'g break? If you do, I'd like to suggest that you go out on your bike or car and hit something at that speed and see what happens.

I've read on this tread how guys are spending tons of money on aluminum this or that and ceramic bearings... give me a break, no one made you buy these parts, you bought them of your own free will.

For those of you who have spent large sums of money on aluminum, ceramic this or that, ask youself, did it improve your ability to drive the car, did you really notice a performance difference? Most likely not. Try practice and lots of it, that in the end will make you a better driver.

Just my .02 cents and venting....

E
Old 08-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You guys have to admit that this is one of the easiest cars to work on as well. The old yok would take you 30 minutes to change out a front diff or oneway and that would involve taking apart the entire front end of the car. Now it's two screws and it's in your hand. Every adjustment is easy to get to and easy to change. Like coolrcdad said, we all pretty much went through breakages when the car was first released because we were looking for good setups, if the car isn't handling good you crash more and when you crash stuff will break. Now that the car has been out awhile people have good setups and there are people to share them with you.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree Matt...

The SD was very easy to work on... Now that I've got the R2 WEB cuda...it's a pain in the buttox to remove the diffs.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've been really looking forward to a tub style chassis for this car. Someone earlier said Rayspeed may be making one (I know they're making a new plate chassis), but where did this rumor start? Where or how can I find info on this new chassis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.