R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2003, 11:49 AM   #2941
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
Zombies - If you are looking for a front bumper, get the HPI uncut bumper. The foam is much softer so it wont take off paint, and it's big
too late... I used the GT4's... but will put that now on the WEB... no longer have the SD.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:09 PM   #2942
Tech Fanatic

Markano- One difference I've noticed between the black and white gears is that the black gears are perhaps softer or more brittle. Once, when running a one-way, I chipped 2 or 3 teeth from the gear, but I've never had problems with the white gears.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:12 PM   #2943
Tech Champion

The white gears are made of the stronger delrin plastic.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:55 PM   #2944
Tech Master

If you drive with in you limitations you will not need a big heavy duty front bumper.... of course with out it, you may not have the nevre to push yourself for fear of ripping the front end off your car.

Then agin there are those that use there bumpers to push the slower people out of the way

With reading all the posts about wanting a bigger bumper, is it really necessary? Or is it just a comfort level, knowing that you have 6" of bumper makes people more comfortable and confident.

Hopefully my SD will be here this week.

E

Have fun and read the above post with a light heart.

People who don't have to wait for the latest item, should not tell those that do, that "It's worth the wait"
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:57 PM   #2945
Tech Champion

Just a comfort level in not breaking the front end...
and also when those boards just get in the way....

and most definately to get the slow cars out of the way.

Old 08-13-2003, 03:14 PM   #2946
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by Fike
If you drive with in you limitations you will not need a big heavy duty front bumper....
Not always. First run of the day, minding my own business, I came around a coner and floored it -- right into a lane marker laying perpendicular to the track. Some kids decided they wanted an oval instead, and rather than moving the "extra" lane divider to the wall and out of the way, they placed it right in the middle of the lane as a "speed bump" for the rest of us. Fortunately, after the four to five foot flight, there was no damage to the car. But it did make me wish I had an offroad car just then

I will say though, I felt much better having the firmer GT4 bumper up front insead of the (comparatively) very flimsy stock one.
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 05:33 PM   #2947
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

RC Zombie, what difference did you observe between the SD and the Cuda?
just curious to know
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 05:36 PM   #2948
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to cHckbOY5

cuda can take more abuse
cHckbOY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 05:49 PM   #2949
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by utieh
RC Zombie, what difference did you observe between the SD and the Cuda?
just curious to know
For quality of parts and fit... SD. some sanding of parts on Cuda to make them fit.
Tunablity... SD
Performance... Cuda; lots of coner and straightaway speed.
Durability... Cuda
Parts support... SD most LHS can get Yokomo parts
Ease of assembly...SD the best I've ever seen.
Value... SD has everything in the box.

Even though the SD excells in most areas... the Cuda in performance is key...

Old 08-13-2003, 11:02 PM   #2950
Tech Master

Don't want to step on toes but, the Barracuda comes with a front one way, and the SD does not. Doesn't that qualify an unfair advantage in favor of the 'Cuda because it has the front one way? Now, if both have front one-ways, would that be a fair way to do a comparison? Just my 2-cents.
rc_bam226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:52 PM   #2951
Tech Master

Well, please allow me to back up the Cuda.

I had a brand new Japanese version SD and the built was excellent! The parts and finish were on par compared to the XRAy EVO2. The biggest problem was, it had no steering. No matter what I've tried, the car tends to push and just didn't felt right. I was told about a harder steering knucke so I bought the Team Suzuki Alloys, The battery mount was not that great so I bought that as well. I was also told the you can gain steering with the rear shock towers up front. Then, there was this ride height issue with tons of preload. So I, like everybody else, switched to the AE retainers and the shock ends, but had a difficult time keeping the ride height consistent after a few laps. To make the long story short, the car had an aweful tweak coming out of nowhere. Everytime its been corrected and all chassis screws retighten it will perform for a few laps, then the tweak will come into play again.. quite frustrating and I just felt it wasn't for me. I had close to $500 worth into the car along with parts to built another car. I ended up selling the car for $250 after only 3 days of practice and 1 day of racing which didn't even allow me to finish any of the qualifies or the main. I was so frustrated I almost threw it in the trash. 1st heat, the left front turnbuckle popped off so no steering. Replaced and checked the other ball cups, 2nd heat, the servo mount turnbuckle can loose. Back to the pit, and waiting of the main to give it a last shot. During the main, the front shock tower snapped because I was forced over a dot. The car was fast when it performed.

The hop ups I had:
Team Suzuki alloy knuckles,
Yoke alloy batter post.
Team Suzuki alloy brace,
One way + extra diff
Full set squat racing dry bearings
Ceramic Balls and thrust,
another bare car kit,
tobee craft everything else.

Now, after visiting the Cuda thread, I finally broke down and bought the web special R2 and this car was already pretty well hopped up. Price of the kit is expensive but only close to what I had into the SD. The car already came with nice ceramic balls and thrust balls so its smooth as can be. The car actually spins for more than 10 second just blowing on the spur! , it ran flawlessly and took the corners way better and is the fastest car I've driven yet. Lap times proves it. Although I had to lightly sand down the front graphite knuckles and ditch the battery brace because of the location the spur gear is mounted, the car just drove gracefully and had tons of corner speed.

Between both of these cars, I wouldn't hestitate to own another R2 without all the hopped up parts and it will out do the SD IMHO. The SD, on the other hand looks sweet! the SSG is 1st class eye candy. Just not for me. Maybe Tosolini might find it different, but then he can drive almost any car and be good at it.

Lastly, just stating my opinion on the SD. In no way am I bashing this beautiful car, maybe its just me. Just like some likes Porsche, other like Skyline or Ferrari type thing.

Dan
Maj. Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:04 AM   #2952
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Basically here's what it boils down to, Maj. Teeth, RC Zombies, and myself all had the SD, and have all switched to the R2 and I doubt any of us will switch back. The R2 is the best handling car I have ever driven. First night out with the SD, I broke about $30 worth of parts, and not even in terrible collisions. Since I bought the R2, I have raced 5 weeks, I have not replaced 1 part.

The SD is a very fast car, dont get me wrong, but for the racer that wants to have a fast ride right off the back, the R2 is the car to own.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:26 AM   #2953
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

sooooo, I heard that rayspeed is coming out with a molded chassis pretty soon.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:29 AM   #2954
Tech Fanatic

so who has the pics already? anyone? please?
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 01:54 AM   #2955
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

no pics that I know of, yet
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote