R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2003, 03:59 PM   #2641
Tech Adept

Joe Lagace

I know this is not an easy question to awnser but consedering all the weak and strong point of both the AE and the YOKE which one would be your favorite?
crono man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 05:14 PM   #2642
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WEll its difficult to say which i like better sincei have been running TC3s for years but of course the SD is new and shinny so my heart say the SD is better. I feel it drives similar to the TC3 and i also feel they share very similar plastic quality. Meaning i think both will break if abused without a bumper.

Hands down thoug the SD is simply easier to work on. I was shopping for a new car and did not want belts for many reason but the main reason is the BS involved with getting at diffs for service. To find a replacement for my TC3 meant the car had to be as good or better and easier to work on. The TC3 is easy to work on but the SD makes diff and spur gear service easier. Also i feel the cells sit lower in the chassis then with the TC3. I had looked at the EVO3 but found i did not like its diff gears size lifespan as well the center line of the drivetrain did not seem to have as much bearing support.

I think its hard for AE to top there TC3 into a TC4. I think they hit a design thats hard to improve on wihtout going to the graphite chassis route. I think thats why this car has had such a long life span. How old is the TC3 now? HPI has been through 3 models and Tamiya 3 or 4 in the same life of the TC3.

To answer your question. The yokomo is my favorite! IT just does everything better and looks much nicer!

RAce 3 on this car is thursday for me. Ill try the oneway this time
Old 07-19-2003, 05:32 PM   #2643
Tech Adept

hey thanks alot joe really appreciate the detailed comparison between the two cars.
man everybody at my club(quebec city) telling me to get a FTTC3 and my lhs has all the AE spare parts but that YOKE is sooo sexy!
the ONLY thing holding me back about the yoke is the spare parts availability nobody carries them overhere every time i break a part im gonna have to special order it,i never done that before
Old 07-19-2003, 06:11 PM   #2644
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

AH Quebec! I have to get up there to race u guys sometime. I have raced at ST-ROCH and in Montreal for nitro. Good guys. You know Joel Charet and Alain Carpentier?

Anyway I got my car from Speedtech and with the CAnadian dollar doing well these days i got it fairly cheap in comparison to the local shops. Came to 410CND shipped vs 450-540+TAXES! Anyway you could do your parts shopping online or you could ask your local shop if they can bring in parts for you. Horizon distributor has some parts but not many. The local shop here in Gatineau brought in all the spares i asked for and he went through yokomo usa to get them.

If you dont go yok, and do go with a TC3 i know they all say get the FT version but man its so overpriced. 450$ or get what i drive the RACER for 250 with a legal body, i added threaded shocks and buds bumper and i beat many FTs. There is so little differenc between the 2 versions. I run foam so all the cars are underwieght. The arguement that the FT is lighter is all for not. The car is stiffer but i could not tell the difference on the track im sure.

Drop by my clubs web site and forum:
RC OTTAWA
Old 07-19-2003, 06:26 PM   #2645
Tech Adept

i have never met the guys at ST-ROCH but i hear they are a bunch of nice guys to race with, some of them come down sometimes to race at my local club RC FANATIC DE LA CAPITALE

if you ever at ST-ROCH continue to quebec city(its a 2hour drive) and come see us

heres the link to my club

http://www.rcfanatic.com/

i think that yoke is calling my name
Old 07-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #2646
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default foam set-up

Here is my set-up that I am running for stock foam on carpet. I am running a custom 3mm lower and solid upper deck with alum mounts. Front: diff, 1.8 mm lower custom bar, -1.5 camber, -1 toe out, Assoc shock end purple spring and #2 piston, 62.9 mm, 60 wt, 6mm droop, middle hole hub, inner middle row tower, upper mounting of hub and spacer on top, outside tower and inner arm shock mount, 4mm spacer front of arm, 4.5mm ride height

Rear: stock bar, -2 camber, 1deg toe, same shock set-up as front, 4mm droop, lower hole hub, 2nd hole from inside hub, bottom middle tower, upper outside tower and 2nd from inner arm, 2mm spacer front and rear, 4.5 ride height

57.4mm TRC purple and plaids

I will hopefully have a mod car done soon and will try and get a set-up posted for it.
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:52 PM   #2647
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Brian i'd have to say your car was very fast a few tuesdays ago with that setup. The SD is a nice car for sure.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:02 AM   #2648
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the Yokomo Harden Front Universal Driveshafts for MR-4TC fit the SD? Part number ZS-010FH. I know the rears fit the rear. But I need some for the fronts. I noticed Masami has some harden ones up front. And I noticed Chris T had some at the Nationals. Just curious if they are "home" build.. or if the other ones fit. I need them for Mod. Thanks... I do have Square Ti bones on the way... but would like to know about these.....
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 01:13 AM   #2649
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

they will fit but you have to do some grinding. They are slightly too long so what people are doing is grinding away some material at the end of the drive shaft so it's flat with the pin
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:41 AM   #2650
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

KilRuf: The universals that Masami is using are the new YMP (Yokomo Miracle Products) aluminium universals. These were also available for the old car but YMP has just recently released new universals for the SD. The YMP universals are very, very light but also not very durable. Remember that YMP products are only available in Japan.

Stock SD Yokomo steel cvd's: 41g
Yokomo aluminium cvd's: 31g
YMP aluminium universals: 16g

Last edited by kentech; 07-20-2003 at 02:51 AM.
kentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:39 AM   #2651
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to LeoChan
Default My SD

SD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00087 copy.jpg (77.8 KB, 213 views)
LeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:22 AM   #2652
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by kentech
The universals that Masami is using are the new YMP (Yokomo Miracle Products) aluminium universals. These were also available for the old car but YMP has just recently released new universals for the SD. The YMP universals are very, very light but also not very durable. Remember that YMP products are only available in Japan.

Stock SD Yokomo steel cvd's: 41g
Yokomo aluminium cvd's: 31g
YMP aluminium universals: 16g
are the YMP's made by yokomo?
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:33 AM   #2653
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

Quote:
Originally posted by highwayman
are the YMP's made by yokomo?
Yes.

YMP is to Yokomo what TRF is to Tamiya I guess.
Web link below
http://teamyokomo.com/ymp/index.html

Cheers
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:39 AM   #2654
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

NightKidZ: As far as I know YMP is a separate company from Yokomo. It's Masami's and his dad Masaaki's company. Both Masaaki and Masami do work for Yokomo as well though....but YMP is a side project of theirs. Anyway, it does not really matter, they're still obviously very close. YMP products are however not available outside Japan.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:18 AM   #2655
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

Quote:
Originally posted by kentech
NightKidZ: As far as I know YMP is a separate company from Yokomo. It's Masami's and his dad Masaaki's company. Both Masaaki and Masami do work for Yokomo as well though....but YMP is a side project of theirs. Anyway, it does not really matter, they're still obviously very close. YMP products are however not available outside Japan.
Hmmm ic, thanks for the info
Then what about Rayspeed? Is Adachi's own start up company or is it part of Yokomo?

Cheers
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote