R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-04-2003, 11:24 PM   #2401
Tech Regular

Default XRAY Springs

I along with some Japanese racers are using the XRAY springs since the choice is good and the spring tension is very consistent. Oh!, and did I mentioned they fit perfectly with the AE shock ends and retainers? You can get the full set of XRAY Ultimate springs in all different tension. I've found the white to work up front and the yellow works great in the rear.

Jimmy
Jimmy Fukuyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 02:05 AM   #2402
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I didn't go down to the track yesterday evening. It was just too hot.

Instead I stayed at the shop late, and guess what.

I pulled old faithful apart, and rebuilt it with lots of the latest goodies - SSG chassis and new single hole bulkheads, etc. i have turned the servo around and actually managed to fit the inner servo post right up close to the belt.

I've just got the speedo to wire up, and a few more bits, and I'll be running it too tonight.

RANDMAN

I've left the spool on the SD. Actually I'd like Josh to drive it and see what he thinks. I always think 2 opinions are better than 1. If he likes it I'll put one in his TC3.

Pity about the Barracuda saga. I would have loved to have had a couple of those Web Specials but I understand Triox don't have it, and their price for the old car is astronomical. You can get 2 from Steve for that price. So I'll just stick with my Yokes.

SPRINGS

X Ray or Corally springs are both slightly longer than the AE ones. Used with AE retainers they are OK. I got some of Tobee's retainers in alloy but won't be using them except on show cars. But they do look pretty, especially the Yoke ones.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:19 AM   #2403
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Hi John,

I put some of those Tobee shock retainers on. They are a work of art like all their alum. stuff. I need to check on some other springs as well. I will look into those Rayspeeds or maybe the XRay ones.

Still thinking if I want to laod up my car today to race. Temp is suppose to be almost 95 and super humid. Man I hate the heat unless I'm on vacation at the beach, hehehe I will be at the beach tommorrow to start my vacation.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:33 AM   #2404
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi john,

i been using the ae shock body with stock yokomo springs... i noticed that any ride height lower than 6 makes my car bottom out... any thoughts...

- jason
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:50 AM   #2405
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
I ran the SD with front spool again yesterday after a few more set up mods. It felt better, and indeed the lap times came down and are getting more consistant, but to be truthful I'm not sure if it's any faster than it was with the normal front diff.

I ran the one way when we were running the fast and sweeping track but now we are testing on a tighter and more technical track in preparation for our visit to England in August, so a one way is out of the question.

What I am finding with the spool is that the car is always on edge. It feels alot more difficult to drive on the limit, and lap times are not consistant at all. If somebody can persuade me that the spool is quicker than the standard diff I will be happy to stick with it. In the meantime, now that I have some lap times to compare, I'll run with the standard diff again tonight and see what sort of times I do.

I have been corresponding quite a bit recently with Mick Rogers, father of Adam who is one of the UK's quickest Yoke runners. Adam has run the spool on some circuits but I get the impression that he too is not entirely convinced of it's benifits. In theory it just shouldn't be possible to drive a car with a locked front diff.
Joe- don't be fooled into thinking a spool is always faster. The simple fact is that it's just a tuning option. The spool is almost never faster in stock because of the fact that low speed turning scrubs speed and you don't have any extra power to overcome that bind. A spool will also make the car feel lazy in low speed corning, so you want to stay away from a spool on a tight technical track.

On your comment about "in theory it shouldn't be possible to drive a car..."- the reason a spool works well on a high speed track is that under high speed cornering the is little and sometimes no weight on the inside tire, so the tire is able to "unload" the bind of running a different speed than the outside tire. This is also the reason a spool feels "sluggish" on low speed cornering; because the inside tire has weight on it and therefore the traction of both front tires on the ground makes it hard for the "bind" to be released. So instead of quick, responsive turning you get the feel of a car that doesn't want to allow both front tires to turn a different speed.

If there is enough traction you actually can run a one-way in mod on a technical track using a little bit of brake and changing the way you approach the turns. You obviously can't run as deep into the turn before lifting (and braking), but with a one way the car will pull much harder coming out of the turn and make up the difference lost on entry. Also, to tune for a one-way on a technical track, you can tune more steering entering the turn which will allow you to run harder into the turn and use the turn to scrub your speed. Most tuning options that give more turn-in usually take away mid or exit steering, but again, the one-way will overcome some of that. I suppose it's a matter of finding which way is the fastest. But keep one thing in mind- if you are running a one-way, and the person(s) you are racing are running a diff or spool, then they must alter their line and rhythm while following you- having to lift when you lift on the straight etc., but you will have the ability to pull away from them coming out of the turn. The same is true while you are chasing- you must lift a little bit early on entry, but if you can sneak up to them in the turn, you will have the exit power to drive right under them for position.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 08:24 AM   #2406
Tech Fanatic

XRay springs w/AE retainers on the SD - that's a new one. Just bought a T1R and may have to try that.

I wonder if Yokomo is getting the message about it's shocks.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 08:31 AM   #2407
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I remember the first XRay springs were just Serpent, and they had the progressive top coils. Do the new XRay springs still have those coils, or do they use the same coil all the way through the spring?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 09:40 AM   #2408
Tech Fanatic

They look like the same coil all the way down. However, I've seen Schumacher progessive springs that have the regular coil pattern.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 10:18 AM   #2409
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

BIG DOG.

Thanks for the hints. Very useful. I intend to try all three alternatives and whatever is best I will stay with.

HIGHWAYMAN.

There is nothing with Yoke shocks except that the shafts and springs are too short for most applications.

If you use a stock short spring that's slightly soft, the shock on full extension will probably only just give you 6mm ride height. When loaded that figure will decrease.

Solution, either use harder springs - which may not suit your set up, or use long ends front and rear, or simply go to complete AE units - springs, collars, the lot. That's what I've done.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:51 PM   #2410
Tech Elite

thanks joe... will just probably go with the whole ae set-up...
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 01:50 PM   #2411
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Koya Dale.com
Default SPOOL

in my opinion i think spools are definitely slower than a one way, i think its good on foams... but if theres no rule on banning one ways and u have the skill to drive then use it. good acceleration with the spool though but with one ways u can pound on the throttle much sooner. big dogs right the only negative thing about the one way is u cant go too deep on the corner cos it doesnt scrub speed so u end up coming in too hot and guys with diffs or spools tend to tip ur back sometimes on the corner entry, but once ur ahead its much easier to pull away with a one way. we should also remember the fact that spools were popular to be used as an alternative to one ways because there are races that dont allow em. just my 2cents

has anyone noticed masami's start on that reedy race video on the yokomo site, looks like he experienced massive torque steer thats why he ended up last at the start, manages to win though, and it was quite impressive how he overtook the field. looks like its one of the cars weaknesses cos even the r&d guy of yokomo is suffering from it hehehe
Koya Dale.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:29 PM   #2412
Tech Prophet

Joe, with the ae shocks can your arms droop lower than the chassis?
Old 07-05-2003, 07:05 PM   #2413
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

John I have good ride height with the stock shocks but have to do some changes on the stock setup. The stock setup in the book seems like it is for guys running rubber tires only and then it would be ok to only get 6mm of ride height or so. I run foams and needed to put the long ends on the front and use the bottom most holes in the front caster block to get a ride height and can use for foams and manage to run tires from 62mm to 57mm and only need to adjust my spring tensions to keep my 5mm ride height. In the rear the only real change I made was to move the shocks in 1 hole on the a-arms (plus they rubbed on my rims with 28mm foams so that took care of the rear ride height.

I ran my spool today again on a fairly big track. One end was pretty wide open and the other end had alot of tight turns. The spool was used. I just have to leave off ever so slightly but as soon as I hit the throttle the car steers a ton and I never leave off. Pulls very hard through 95% of the corner because I only leave off so fast it is like not slowing up at all. One guy had a one way in with foams and he had a hard time and is use to using one but with rubber tires. Me and the 2nd place guy had spools in our cars. Their was no place on the track that the one way was faster. I was just as fast going in and as fast if not faster coming out. I guess I'm lucky because my car with a spool has tons of turn it like I did with my diff in but I have all the advantages of the spool everywhere else so it works for me.

I have a one way coming next week but not sure when I will get to run it again to try that out. I got it for when I run rubber tires on asphalt and for really large tracks. Never had luck with one ways before but maybe since my spool setup is working so well now maybe my one way will actually work for me.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 09:40 PM   #2414
Tech Elite

Well I had both a Suck day and Good day today. Sucks because I ended up 4th at the NC State Championships today. Good because I had the fastest car in Stock all day long and TQ'd. I got nailed in the "first turn pile up" and ended up dead last. Had to work my way back up the field twice! So I ended up 4th overall. Anyways, I'll post my setup later on. I ended up switching from a Spool to a Oneway during practice. I also found the Oneway setup by mistake. When I had the Spool, I ran the thick lower sway bar up front. But when I took out the Spool and put in the Oneway... I forgot to hook the sway bar back up. Anyhow, the car was hooked up. When I brought it back into the pits, I noticed the swaybar wasn't even hooked up. So I took it off and didn't touch the car for the rest of the day. Just motor swaps after every run and picked the best for the Main.

Anyways, time to wind down and relax for the rest of the weekend. Gotta write down that setup though... Works great out here...

Jimmy Mac
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 10:40 PM   #2415
Tech Prophet

wyd - I was running a 1 way in modified on a fairly open track, not too technical, and was much faster than with a spool. I am sure that when you get the 1 way you'll be happier with it as well. I would have sold you mine with the other parts, but I lost a drive cup...

BTW, everything holding up well?