R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-04-2003, 03:11 AM   #2386
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I ran the SD with front spool again yesterday after a few more set up mods. It felt better, and indeed the lap times came down and are getting more consistant, but to be truthful I'm not sure if it's any faster than it was with the normal front diff.

I ran the one way when we were running the fast and sweeping track but now we are testing on a tighter and more technical track in preparation for our visit to England in August, so a one way is out of the question.

What I am finding with the spool is that the car is always on edge. It feels alot more difficult to drive on the limit, and lap times are not consistant at all. If somebody can persuade me that the spool is quicker than the standard diff I will be happy to stick with it. In the meantime, now that I have some lap times to compare, I'll run with the standard diff again tonight and see what sort of times I do.

I have been corresponding quite a bit recently with Mick Rogers, father of Adam who is one of the UK's quickest Yoke runners. Adam has run the spool on some circuits but I get the impression that he too is not entirely convinced of it's benifits. In theory it just shouldn't be possible to drive a car with a locked front diff.

Matt, Wyd, Randman, Mo, etc Thanks for answering all the questions in the last 2 pages. Man this thread really moves fast. I have to read through 2 pages every morning when I come into the office........and that's just this one!

MATT H.

I have now run the Yoke graphite shaft for about 8 or 9 packs with a 12 turn mod, and the locked front, and I don't seem to be having any problems with it. Same with the Tobee alloy layshafts. I don't know whether it's just their decreased rotating weight, but I seem to have much more run time recently.

Will report back tomorrow.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 07:56 AM   #2387
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

The Game no running at Mimi's for me. I hate running on rugs and it is too far. Takes me well over 2 hours to get their. If I have to run on a rug maybe I might go to Fredrick and try running if you guys get that new carpet setup in the old Ames building. That is only an hour from my house.

Johnbull I think when you get it just right you will be faster but if you never ran one it takes some time to get use to it. I never ran one ways or spools. I run for 4 years and never used anything but a diff. At first it was really hard for me to run a spool but once I got a setup from a Losi Team Driver my car was faster than ever and not any harder to drive than with diffs. I was about 2 tenths to 3 tenths a lap faster though. I did need to use a front sway on my Losi (never use sways normally) and a little negative steering expo to make it really smooth out. Also the new Protoform Alpha 2.0 also helped out alot as well. Once you get the car to turn in well off power the rest will follow for you.

I ran rubber tires on my new Yoke last week for fun and it was almost as fast as I was with foams on. Mainly because the track was pretty open so I never slowed down much at all even with rubber tires on. I run foams 95% of the year so when I run rubber tires it is a challenge for me. I just mainly stay with TakeOff 27 pre-mounted. They wear great and always seem to get me close.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 08:38 AM   #2388
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmund
I saw on the Team Orion site that Jean-Marc Betticher won the swiss championships - In style! Anyone got his setup?
Hello

Here You will find the Setup of JMB:
http://www.rcworld.ch/neueprojekte.asp?id=627

Just click on the pic of the car!

The track was a very thight and tecnical track, with down and uphill sections. The tarmac was flat with regular grip. Air temperature was ove 30 degrees.

Cheers!
chaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 AM   #2389
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Joe - If I were you, I'd try to get a little more track time with the spool before you change it out. Try fine tuning the car a hair more, and see if you can get better results. It is one of those things that you really just have to get used to before you can be all the way up to speed with it.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:02 AM   #2390
Tech Rookie

I have aquestion for you all....I hear some drivers say the RaySpeed springs are more progressive. What does that mean..
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:08 AM   #2391
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I think that means that the farther the spring compresses the stiffer it gets. I guess the Yoke springs don't get any stiffer as you compress them.

Anyone else care to commnet as I have not tried the RaySpeed springs yet. Where can I order these springs from? Does Steve at SpeedTech have them?
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:25 AM   #2392
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yes, Speedtech carries the Rayspeed springs. Don't forget to pick up some associated spring retainer while your there. I believe the Rayspeed springs only work with those. They should be right there on the same page as the Rayspeed springs at Speedtech.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:26 AM   #2393
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In springs the more material in the spring body the slower it will move through its rate. So if a spring moves a given distance and goes from say 1lb to 2 lb then with a longer spring it will feel smoother as it transitions over the given length.

Progressive springs are different than most of the springs we run in RC as the rate constantly changes as it moves through its travel.

Looking forward to getting my SD I am just switching over from Tamiya to Yokomo the car has definately held my interest from when it was released

Dan
Old 07-04-2003, 11:20 AM   #2394
Tech Elite

According to the Orion site, Rayspeed have released some new alloy spring cups so you can run the longer springs on standard Yokomo shock bottoms. There are also two new, softer spring rates.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:45 AM   #2395
Tech Rookie

Thank you
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 06:48 PM   #2396
Tech Prophet

The alloy spring cups just dont do it for me, I dont see what the purpouse of them is, except having another aluminum piece on the car...
Old 07-04-2003, 07:48 PM   #2397
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If they're wider than the AE ones I'll be getting some. The Rayspeed springs are wider than the stock Yokomo ones and the AE springs, the coils are right on the edge of the AE spring cups.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 07:55 PM   #2398
Tech Prophet

Is anyone using the Associated springs anymore? I had really good luck with them, and they are much easier to find than Rayspeed, with more tensions.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:48 PM   #2399
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

actually I had the opposite problem a little while ago, all the AE springs were out of stock but I could get all the rayspeed springs with no problem
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:00 PM   #2400
Tech Prophet

I just get the AE springs from my LHS, easier for me..