R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-02-2003, 05:36 PM   #2341
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

in this case the servo speed would not be a factor since the input (angle of 45) is the same from left to right...it is the output difference which would cause the ill-handling (48.8 one way, 56.3 in the opposite)..will have a variance in output regardles of which type of servo you use..

$0.02

Old 07-02-2003, 05:38 PM   #2342
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

True, but if there is no difference in the servo speed from 45 to 45, than as long as the bellcranks are centered, there wouldn't be any difference in the steering speed. Looks like this subject is no longer a problem...
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 05:51 PM   #2343
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

steering speed is not the issue...

steering throw is... if you can get 56.3 degrees of throw on side A in the same amount of time that it takes you to get 48.8 degrees of throw on side B, then you can get to 48.8 degrees of throw sooner on side A than it takes on side B...

hehehe...
Old 07-02-2003, 07:04 PM   #2344
Tech Prophet

Thats true, but still, with the high speed digital servos, you can go left to right in no time anyway..
Old 07-02-2003, 11:29 PM   #2345
Tech Initiate

Hai everyone, I'm interested to learn making a spool on my 4wd sd rc and had read all the pages in this forum but I can't find anyone giving a discription on make the spool. From what I read and understand in this forum. Spool is to lock the front diff of the model. Hence can anyone assist me on this?. Thanks
challenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:30 AM   #2346
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Use a piece of sandpaper the same size as the diff ring (losi sells them precut). take out all the diff balls, put the sandpaper on top of the diff rings with the rough side facing the gear. reassemble just like a regular diff and tighten the diff screw all the way.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:47 AM   #2347
Tech Initiate

I saw on the Team Orion site that Jean-Marc Betticher won the swiss championships - In style! Anyone got his setup?
sigmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 02:44 AM   #2348
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

You know, this thread gets better and more interesting by the day. Thanks, friends.

SIGMUND.

Thanks for the explanatory diagrams. There has been alot of discussion on this business of steering turn angles, but nobody has mentioned the fact that AE actually suggest you put the servo horn on at an angle on the TC3, presumably to counter just what we are experiencing.

Anyone know more about this one? I once tried building my son's TC3 with the servo horn upright and the result was exactly what we are discussing right here.

I know it doesn't make much difference to the car's performance, but if we really want to be finicky we can always fit the horn at a slight angle. So here's another one for you Sigmund, would you like to work it all out for us mathematically!!!!!!!

SPOOL. EUREKA - IT WORKS.

Thanks to Mo, Matt, Wyd, Randman and so many other guys suggestions I am glad to tell you that I tried the car again yesterday with the spool - and it ran OK.

I did actually make plenty of changes from my Monday run to yesterday. I levelled out the front pivots, thus getting 0 kick up. I put 2 deg. of antisquat on the rear. I lowered the front roll centre. I set the shock angles more verticle, front and rear to get the shocks and springs to work through a bigger area. I removed the front roll bar and put a thicker rear one.

I reckon the car is now almost as quick - in terms of lap times - as it was with the normal front diff, and very driveable, so a bit of fine tuning should make it better. I was also able to decrease the steering travel and balance figures, which means I am now not scrubbing so much into corners.

I'm really impressed by the way it shoots out of the corners!
I'll be down again this evening, playing some more, and will report back.

In the meantime thank you all again for your help.

Just think, as soon as I finish with this one I will have to start all over again on my son's TC3!

CHALLENGER.

Matt Howard beat to me answering how you make a spool. I actually glued my lot together too. It's run 5 packs so far without any bother.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:13 AM   #2349
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

SPOOL. EUREKA - IT WORKS.

Thanks to Mo, Matt, Wyd, Randman and so many other guys suggestions I am glad to tell you that I tried the car again yesterday with the spool - and it ran OK.

I did actually make plenty of changes from my Monday run to yesterday. I levelled out the front pivots, thus getting 0 kick up. I put 2 deg. of antisquat on the rear. I lowered the front roll centre. I set the shock angles more verticle, front and rear to get the shocks and springs to work through a bigger area. I removed the front roll bar and put a thicker rear one.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
hi joe... any advantaqe with running the spool over a one-way?

also, how do you lower the roll centers on the SD?

what do you mean exactly, when you say that a more vertical shock, would work through a bigger area?

thanks... jason

Last edited by highwayman; 07-03-2003 at 03:24 AM.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:40 AM   #2350
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

The spool is going to let you still have brakes and when you let off the throttle the car won't get out of shape like with a one way. A one way is still a little faster on a big sweeper but for me the spool is still easier to drive and is an alterative to a one way. Once you master a spool they maybe try a one way and see what works for you.

Joe no problem on the help. You hook us up all the time. That is what this forum is all about, helping each other to get faster and make some new racing buddies even if we are a few thousand mailes away.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 06:38 AM   #2351
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmund
I saw on the Team Orion site that Jean-Marc Betticher won the swiss championships - In style! Anyone got his setup?
Hi sigmund,

Jean-Marc pretty much always wins any non international race he enters... he's our Swiss Masami Remember, this guy also won something like 4 out of 5 rounds last year.... and the year before... and the year even before... with HPI cars, which was quite an achievement, especially with the Pro3. He'd whoop our butts with a TL-01.

I'll ask him what his setup is, for which track, and post it here.

See ya
Paul

PS: I'm not posting very often on this thread yet, since I haven't started assembling my car... but I'm reading it on a daily basis and learning a lot from what you guys are saying, so keep it flowing... I'll catch up and bring my own contributions later. For now, the 8th scale onroad season is far from being over, and it's my current priority

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:58 AM   #2352
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by wyd
The spool is going to let you still have brakes and when you let off the throttle the car won't get out of shape like with a one way. A one way is still a little faster on a big sweeper but for me the spool is still easier to drive and is an alterative to a one way. Once you master a spool they maybe try a one way and see what works for you.
i ran my XXX's with a spool before, felt it was too twitchy for me... was wondering if the SD was different... now i run a one way in both my G+ and SD...
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:21 AM   #2353
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Koya Dale.com

havent tried a spool with my sd yet... do i need to make major setup changes because when i tried a spool before on my losi, my car was understeering all over the place... and also quite unreliable
Koya Dale.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:12 AM   #2354
Tech Prophet

Highwayman - Using the lower inner camber mounting holes on the shock towers will lower the roll center of the car. When I went to a spool from a 1 way, the car actually got a little less twitchy, unfortunately for me, I am really good with a twitchy car, so the 1 way is the best choice for me thus far.

Koya Dale.com - You will need to make setup changes, look at Johnbull's post and see what changes you need to make. It's a cheat sheet for ya
Old 07-03-2003, 10:16 AM   #2355
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Got a chance to test the new shock towers for the first time yesterday. Everything worked well and there were no problems with them. The car really worked well with the front shocks more vertical, the car seemed to gain steering from the apex and out of the corner and was more stable/secure on the front end - easier to drive.

Moving the the rear shocks out on the tower also seems to work well. With the shocks in the outer holes on the new tower you can run a softer spring and the car was real easy to drive like that and had good corner-speed.

Still need to do more testing but I'm pretty sure I won't run the standard towers again.