R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-14-2006, 04:36 AM   #15271
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to ickvanovs

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhipster1
Hi guys,
Just wanted to see if there is a way to stiffen up the LCG the top deck in specific. LCG is a great car but just flexes a bit too much at times.
I do have the optional steering posts installed ..that helped a bit..but it seems most of the flex occurs at the motor mount, the double deck doesn't help it..

any help/infor would be appreciated.

Thanks all.
OL>
what is the effect for stiffen up the top deck?
ickvanovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:54 AM   #15272
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhipster1
well guess I was trying to stick with the LCG but modding it to reduce flex is tad bit too much for me...

so it's selling again...

LCG

just figure I'd give you guys a shot at the car also.
You need to change chassis's. The Rayspeed is 3.25mm it is pretty much a bolt on swap, You do need to drill 2 holes for the steering posts and make the battery slots bigger if you run 3700 or larger batteries (I run 3600's they are lighter and have the same numbers that the 3800's have..Voltage,I run stock and 19 so I dont have run time issues) If you race on carpet you do need a stiffer chassis (I know that you know this ) The guys that race Xrays and RDX's run the stiffer chassis. It's just something you need to do if you run Carpet.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #15273
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickvanovs
what is the effect for stiffen up the top deck?
More traction less flex... Less traction more flex...
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #15274
Tech Master

I ran my CGM on a parking lot last night; I would say the surface is a bit bumpy, and its paved asphalt.

When I turn and accelerate hard out of corners on to the straight, the rear end just starts sliding, and the rear end just moves side to side, before it starts grabbing and goes straight. Also, while turning, the rear end slides. But it doesn't do this when I turn left, only right.

Things I've checked quickly were if my differential was stripped out, if my wheelnuts were too tight, shaft is off, or if my dogbones got out of the cup, but none of those things were out of the ordinary.

My car was running fine the last two weeks, but the car still really wasn't dialed in. But the rear end would never slide out so much like that. It also wore my tires down like crazy, made groves and holes. The motor was also hotter than usual, although my drive train is really free, and everything seems to be working fine.

Any ideas? Thanks-Tony
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #15275
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to aoizip

Tek :

Check your Diff again, it might be diff is sliping or getting loose (diff nut worn out?)
aoizip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:38 PM   #15276
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
I ran my CGM on a parking lot last night; I would say the surface is a bit bumpy, and its paved asphalt.

When I turn and accelerate hard out of corners on to the straight, the rear end just starts sliding, and the rear end just moves side to side, before it starts grabbing and goes straight. Also, while turning, the rear end slides. But it doesn't do this when I turn left, only right.

Things I've checked quickly were if my differential was stripped out, if my wheelnuts were too tight, shaft is off, or if my dogbones got out of the cup, but none of those things were out of the ordinary.

My car was running fine the last two weeks, but the car still really wasn't dialed in. But the rear end would never slide out so much like that. It also wore my tires down like crazy, made groves and holes. The motor was also hotter than usual, although my drive train is really free, and everything seems to be working fine.

Any ideas? Thanks-Tony
Check your rear arms for cracks also check to make sure the car is not tweaked. When we used to run the SD we sometimes had to put a little more pre-load on one side of the car to make it handle right, because of torque steer.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #15277
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Also check your droop settings left to right as well. Also check for broken CVD pins.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:47 AM   #15278
Tech Master

My rear diff isn't slipping and my front one-way is working fine, CVDs are intact, I would say the drivetrain is fine, and the rear arms aren't cracked. I'll check the droop and tweak tomorrow, you guys have any other ideas?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #15279
Tech Apprentice

try to rebuild the rear shocks too.
skamolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #15280
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default LCG??

have another LCG question..has anyone tried to place two or more topdecks stacked on top of each other..front and rear sections..I see Yokomo USA has the parts in stock...

Is there a downside to stacking the top decks together... I'm trying to reduce the flex... If I keep the car..i'll be running it on carpet.

thanks
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #15281
Tech Master

Anybody interested in buying a CGM roller, will throw in a Rayspeed chassis as well. Lots of extra parts ams etc... pm me if interested, will send pictures too.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:41 AM   #15282
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

hipster,

it won't hurt to stack, but it's also not going to help a ton. the lcg has a real flexible lower deck, and the break in the top deck(s) is the weak point regarding flex. i see you run in philly. we run at the gate in cleveland, carpet non-stop. my buddy runs the sd-tke car and it's awesome. it has a 3mm lower with no cuts, and a 3mm one piece upper that is mounted as low as the front one on the lcg. we finally got a sweet setup on it, and it's as fast as anything (my shumacher, jim herrmann's rdx) in stock and 19t.

i'm not saying you have to get the tommy kramer car, but the twin tops of the standard lcg, is the achilles heel of that car on the rug. if you came from the worlds car, put that back together. it's way stiffer than the lcg, and you can probably double those tops, and get a decent car out of it.

my guess would be cgm with a top deck would be a real carpet killer. or use the lcg bulkheads on it. humm...
Old 06-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #15283
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
my guess would be cgm with a top deck would be a real carpet killer. or use the lcg bulkheads on it. humm...
Toso ran a CGM with a SD Black topdeck on it years ago
Old 06-17-2006, 07:27 PM   #15284
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default thanks

thanks for the info seaball.

You're definetely correct...the weak spot is the lower deck...the split top decks doesn't help...not the best situation for carpet runnings as I do most...it's slow season here...so I'll keep working on it..to see If i can up with another solution.

I wish i had the kramer setup..I absolutely love Yoks...the seem to be so underated here in the states....killer cars...right out of the box.

Last edited by olhipster1; 07-01-2006 at 10:40 PM.
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #15285
Tech Master

Whats a good starting point for droop on a CGM ran on asphalt?